Monday, October 30, 2006

Making the most of my Bramleys


Instead of sitting in front of the TV last night I was having a blog browse and was rather taken with a recipe for a 'Somerset Apple Cake' that was recommended by June of 'bread water salt oil'. Yesterday, she wrote about the best cooking apple in the world . The history June provides of this versatile apple is very interesting and you will find the recipe there. Many agree that Bramleys are best, myself and Sam at becks&posh included. So as I had the Bramleys and all the other ingredients this inspired me to get baking before breakfast. I am really pleased with the result (though not sure my version looks quite the same as June's). The aroma of cinnamon is making us drool (my mother keeps commenting on the wonderful smell). Somehow I cannot justify cake for breakfast and anyway it's too hot to cut at the moment so I'll stick to my muesli and save the pleasure for later.


Having done some chores and the weekly shop it was home for coffee and cake. My mother declared it to be delicious and I have to say I could not disagree. It was moist with a subtle taste of the cinnamon, I actually wondered if I should have used a little more cinnamon or maybe I just need a new tub as this one has been in my cupboard for a while. The only problem is it's moreish and I should probably freeze some to stop the temptation. However, my brother is visiting tomorrow so perhaps not and you never know I may get someone call and it's nice to have something homemade to offer. I can see if I'm not careful I will be doing more cooking and piling on even more pounds now I am retired!!
So if you are wondering what to do with spare cooking apples give this a try.

PS You will need to look in becks&posh archives for her amusing Bramley Post.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 30/10/06 18:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that looks delicious, I want to have some of that apple cake

 
At 30/10/06 18:12, Blogger Beccy said...

I have to agree with Ben, it sure looks yummy. I really love apple cake espically with cinnamon.

 
At 30/10/06 19:35, Blogger ChrisB said...

Ben I wish you lived near to me then you could have a slice; you will have to ask your mum to make one.

 
At 31/10/06 04:43, Blogger Barbara said...

The cake looks great Chris. I don't think I've ever seen Bramley apples in NZ. Granny Smiths would be the closest and I use those for cooking.

 
At 31/10/06 08:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

Barbara Granny Smiths are one of our eating apples but I can see it would cook well as it has quite a sharp taste- its a favourite with my grandson Ben.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home