Friday, November 03, 2006

Frosty Friday

There was a frost last night so hopefully it will warm up before I need to use the car. If not it will be out with the scraper and gloves. It takes a long time for the sun to hit the bottom of our yard especially in winter.



However, as you can see from this view of my neighbours garden's (taken from my dining room window on the side of the house), it's actually a beautiful sunny day and I enjoyed a brisk, early morning walk around the block to get the newspapers and the circulation going. Until about three months ago I walked for a half hour walk every morning and found this was a good way to start the day. During the recent hot summer I lapsed and am only now getting back into what was a good theraputic routine.

The flowers in our garden are still in full bloom and I decided, albeit rather too late in the day, to try and capture some last photos before the frost gets to work. Unfortunately by this time it was dusk and the light was very poor.




The lavender still has a beautiful scent and I should have made more use of it. Most of the fushias in the garden were planted when we moved into this house twenty years ago. At the time they were small cuttings taken by my step-father whose hobby was growing mainly fushias, and some carnations. His greenhouses were always a riot of colour and his 'pride and joy'. Coincidentally this was the name of a shop my mother and he owned for a while selling, loosely what's called antiques/ bric-a-brac. My mother was not allowed near the greenhouses except under close supervision, I don't think she actually minded she was top dog in the shop. It's nice to think even though he has been dead for over 15 years his fushias are still thriving and my mother, who now lives with us, can look out on them from her sitting room.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3/11/06 21:13, Blogger Sam said...

oh - I miss gordy :(

actually I miss all of you.

I was there this time last year, remember?

 
At 3/11/06 22:43, Blogger ChrisB said...

We have been looking through some of Granny's photos of Gordon (and the poodles) tonight remember how he always mimiced Beccy when she was tiny and used to say "wipe your peet" instead of feet.

 
At 4/11/06 08:48, Blogger Beccy said...

And elepant!

The first thing I planted here was a fushia and despite being dug up and left to die by the gas man it has thrived and is in full bloom at the moment. I always think of it as Gordon's fushia and whenever I see any fusias I think of him.

 
At 4/11/06 09:35, Blogger ChrisB said...

Yes I had forgotten that one.

I hope if we ever move I will be able to take a fushia with us.

 
At 4/11/06 09:46, Blogger Beccy said...

On yer bike was another one of his sayings and I used it for a recent post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home