Saturday, November 04, 2006

How I got my daily dose of excercise today!!

Nothing remotely worth mentioning has happened today. Mike and I have spent most of the day with a smile on our face knocking on doors in an attempt to get people, who have failed to return their electral registration forms, to complete the form. We do this over a three week period and have another week to complete the task. We have to visit during the evenings or weekends when people might be home. Doesn't always work in practise as people who've been at work all week are out and about at the weekend. We have both come across a few people who are ignorant and abusive, we have had doors slammed in our faces and refusal to complete the forms despite the fact that it is a legal requirement and individuals can be fined quite heavily. Then you meet people who are lonely and want a chat and it's hard to get away. Some people, when they realise you are from the council, think you can solve all their problems. For example one elderly lady thought I could prevent her neighbour building a garage to her adjoining wall which she said took several inches of her land. Someone else couldn't understand why I was unable to take all their forms for their council tax exemption and another person had a problem with the drains. So you can see why this takes a long time, the social worker in me would like to help everyone but we have to stick to the task in hand. So we will be out tomorrow doing more of the same!! and if the weather continues to be sunny and dry it's actually not such a chore. Now if it rains we ask ourselves why do we do it- well the money helps pay for a holiday so that's a good enough reason and I do want to visit Sam next year.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5/11/06 00:32, Blogger Sam said...

poor mum - and you are doing it all for me? i give you my airmiles for a flight, ok?

 
At 5/11/06 07:26, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam that's a very sweet offer but you need them and I will be fine.

 
At 5/11/06 09:12, Blogger Beccy said...

Knowing you I bet you spend time listening to them and trying to help in some way!

 
At 5/11/06 10:45, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy Shall we say I was sympathetic and I trieded to point them in the right direction

 
At 5/11/06 10:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

'tried' finger slipped

 

Post a Comment

<< Home