Thursday, November 02, 2006

Window repairs


Yesterday I finally managed to get a much needed repair done to a couple of our windows. The seals had gone leaving visible condensation between the double glazing units, particularly noticable on cold, wet days. This little task has been high on my 'to do' list for a very long time but somehow I have always come up with a good reason/excuse for not spending time searching through the yellow pages for someone to do the job. Despite not working it's still taken me nearly two months to get around to finding a reliable 'window fixer'. I was actually recommended to try Phil of Costfixed and when I phoned him last Friday to explain the problem he happened to be working a couple of miles from my home so within the hour he had called and given me a quote. It seemed reasonable so I agree to go ahead. Phil said he would order the units and return the following Wednesday (three working days) to fit the two new units and check all the windows for adjustments. Now in my experience one usually has to wait weeks if not months to get these small jobs done. So this was very impressive as far as I was concerned. Then I began to worry, mmm if he's not busy perhaps he's naff - no, he's probably very well organised and just fitting me in, I told myself. So yesterday, at the appointed time, Phil arrived and I need not have worried, he completed the task quickly and efficiently. He was very pleasant (I know about his family and vice versa- his two daughter live in Turkey and he's off to Dublin in December) and I would certainly recommend him. I also found out he has just got himself a web site so I thought I would give it a mention, you can find details here. If you live in the Bristol area, you never know, it might come in useful one day.

Thank you Phil and I hope I don't see you again. I mean this in the nicest possible way of course and in case you read this, my mother is delighted that you have fixed her drafty window. Now what else is on my list... I still have a room stipped and ready to decorate and have been waiting three weeks for the decorator to phone I'll chase that up tomorrow or maybe Friday.

As I was finishing this post my phone rang and it was the Kirby (vac) service engineer to tell me he would be arriving about half an hour late. This annual service had only been booked yesterday-in fact they had rung me during the evening and virtually begged me to take the final 4pm call today as the engineer was in the area 'it will be doing us a big favour' the guy said. Shouldn't you be working for the customer I asked after all we are the ones paying for the 'service!!' It wasn't actually convenient, as I had something planned but I agreed. Hubby said 'you're a soft touch and I think he might be right on this occasion. I might just cancel the contract..... lets see if he arrives by 4:30pm.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2/11/06 16:56, Blogger Beccy said...

And did he?

 
At 2/11/06 18:50, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy actually it should have been 4pm I put the wrong time and he arrived at 4:45; he did ring me; but I still gave him quite a hard time but also did some deals will explain when I speak to you.

 
At 3/11/06 00:41, Blogger FH said...

Pumpkis soup looks good there!

Our AC conked out last week and replacement costs pretty penny. I know what you have to deal with,owning a home is so hard:)
Good Luck...

 
At 3/11/06 16:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha I was just in time getting windows done temp dropped last night to freezing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home