Thursday, December 14, 2006

Nothing Special

I seem to have been incredibly busy all day but still not achieved all I set out to do. My plan was to get up very early and spend the morning continuing the decorating and then pop to the shops and take some flowers to a friend for her birthday.

Mike had left for work and I was in the kitchen doing the daily juicing when my mother called down 'I have a problem I need to go to the doctors but I can't ring until 8:30 for an appointment'. I knew then that my plans would be scuppered (sigh); when she finally got through the receptionist gave her a 10:20 appointment. So impossible for me to start decorating but to use the time effectively I continued to write out some more Christmas cards which have to be posted by the end of the week. Not much traffic so we arrived with plenty of time to spare and while mum was in the surgery I ran to the bank, got her magazines and the daily papers. I then sat in the car and had a quick read whilst I drank a cup of coffee I had brought with me. You might think this is odd but I remembered on a couple of previous visits sitting outside waiting for an hour so I now go prepared. In fact mum wasn't that long. She is back on antibiotics and she said the doc was concerned about her breathing and he wanted to have a chest Xray. She then said she told him she would go after Christmas- but didn't actually arrange it that means another trip to the surgery and then waiting for an x-ray appointment. I was not happy, particularly if she has anything that needs treatment. We get home and I am just finishing my coffee and mum says 'where is my handbag I think I put it on the floor in the kitchen when I came in' I looked but no sign of it. I also looked in the car but it wasn't there either. You must have left it at the surgery, mum was not convinced then suddenly she remembered she had put it down when she was talking to the doc. She rang and yes sure enough it was there so muggins has to go back and collect it. As I was out I thought I would call at the post office for mum's pension and get a couple of other things she suddenly remembered she needed. I also went to the florist and chose some flowers and delivered them to my friend who has reached a milestone birthday (shall we just say golden as a clue). She was celebrating in style coming to the door with a glass of chamapagne in her hand. By the time I returned home mum was cooking some soup for her lunch and the morning was almost over. I was very tempted to sit down with another cup of coffee but the decorating called and I resumed the papering. I worked steadily, helped by the radio, until nearly 3 pm when I stopped to make a sandwich and at the same time prepare a quick cauliflower cheese for supper. By the time Mike came home around 5:30 pm I was getting close to finishing. I worked out there are four more lengths of paper to hang so I cut those ready for tomorrow. Although the day started badly it ended reasonably well and I will make an early start tomorrow, well hopefully, I'd better not tempt fate.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 14/12/06 23:02, Blogger Beccy said...

I hope Granny is feeling better.

Look on the bright side, at least she realised her bag was missing before you started papering!

 
At 15/12/06 08:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I repeat it looks fine and I will do some painting whilst youare out tonight. Love

 
At 15/12/06 13:59, Blogger FH said...

Hope she feels better soon to enjoy Christmas!:))

 
At 15/12/06 16:38, Blogger ChrisB said...

Mike You should be careful what you promise in writing!!

Asha she's already feeling better. We thought nip it in the bud. I spent most of Boxing day last year at the hospital with mum as we couldn't get a Doc to come out and then all she needed was antibiotics so we are trying to avoid a repeat performance. She intends to have a restful week in preparation for the big day.

 
At 15/12/06 17:10, Blogger sallywrites said...

Hi Chris

I'm really impressed!!

I bet it looks lovely. And you can go on that other holiday too!

Sally

 
At 15/12/06 19:58, Blogger Sam said...

mu mummy is a trooper!
send my love to granny xxx

 
At 15/12/06 20:37, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm glad she is feeling better. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

 
At 16/12/06 13:48, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi everyone my mum really appreciates all your good wishes.

Sally I'm already dreaming of holidays now where would I like to visit....

 
At 16/12/06 19:33, Blogger Sam said...

me visit me.

 
At 16/12/06 23:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam I thought you wanted me to come next thanksgiving

 

Post a Comment

<< Home