Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Food Cooperative continued


You may recall the post when I mentioned I belong to a food cooperative, well last night was collection time. All the goods are delivered to one house and members arrive at 7 pm to collect their orders as quickly as possible. You can get some idea of the process from the above picture. Sometimes it does seem a bit chaotic with everyone scrambling to claim their goods. For some reason this time there were several items missing from the delivery and a couple of things included that we didn't order. I'm rather glad I wasn't the person having to sort out the mistakes and luckily for me my order was complete (that sounds a bit like 'I'm alright jack' but it wasn't meant to be honestly).

To save time I decided to bag up the muesli and puy lentils at home. It was quite an effort getting this huge sack into the boot of my car. I have just finished weighing up 10K for other people which has left me covered in a fine white dust. The only problem I have now is how to store the remaining 15K of organic muesli which is currently sitting in my kitchen. This should be more than enough to keep my hubby going for the next few months. The lentils are fine and almost fitted into a large storage jar bought for the purpose (now I will be trawling for some more lentil recipes so if anyone has a tried and tested soup recipe please let me know).


As promised this gadget (looking very much like a wooden egg when viewed from above) is what I purchased from Nigella Lawson's Living Kitchen range. I haven't tried it out yet but I'm told if I keep the Parmesan in the freezer I can grate as needed. So if any food bloggers read this, is it good advice ??

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 30/1/07 23:07, Blogger Sam said...

I am not sure why you want to keep it in the freezer since if it is well wrapped it keeps for yonks in the fridge. after all it is an aged, dry, cheese.

maybe you can keep meusli in the freezer?
nuts and flours keep well in the freezer, so maybe meusli would too, I have no idea.

 
At 30/1/07 23:08, Blogger Beccy said...

Is my advice not good enough for you mother!

That museli should last Dad longer than a few months!

 
At 30/1/07 23:23, Blogger ~ej said...

a food coop, what a wonderful idea. there's a food coop store the next town over.
it's a grater, how ingenious!

 
At 30/1/07 23:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy yes it is, but thought I would just check it out. I also got extra museli so that I could have some.

Sam freezer is a good idea I might try a small bag to see.

 
At 30/1/07 23:27, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane buying and sharing does save us quite a lot of money. I'll have to make a pasta dish now to try it out.

 
At 31/1/07 00:12, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I was just in the middle of reading your post here when I got your comment on my blog. :-)
Nice haul!

 
At 31/1/07 07:48, Blogger enidd said...

the food co-op sounds very interesting, enid thinks. can you tell us more, or is there a previous post she's not read?

 
At 31/1/07 08:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC it must be telepathy (your afternoon my night) I have been missing out on much needed beauty sleep as I get hooked on reading all the new posts and stay up way too late.

 
At 31/1/07 08:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

enid did you look at the link to a previous post and then there is another link to the company we use. Its really just a group of people who want to buy dry goods wholesale and you have to be a member of some organisation (can't remember name) to be able to trade). We meet every few months to place an order. The whole food shops of course don't like it and would prefer these groups didn't exist as we can get things much cheaper. It does mean buying in bulk so storage can be aproblem. You should see my cellar with jars and drinks etc. can't put the dried food down there as it's too damp. ( I'm rambling I think this is almost another post hope this explains it)

 
At 31/1/07 14:53, Blogger FH said...

Sounds like a great idea,just collect from one house,saves trips.
Love your Gadjets,I got some too this week!:)

 
At 31/1/07 17:00, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha its also quite sociable and we swap recipes etc. Only just logged on so haven't yet looked at your post for this week.

 
At 31/1/07 22:00, Blogger Barbara said...

Well I'd never have guessed it was that. I keep my parmesan in the fridge and grate it as I need it. It keeps for ages. My first parmesan grater was bought in a hardware store and something men used for doing something to wood. I've no idea what. Eventually I could afford to buy one in a homeware store (but not an expensive Nigella object) and the wood greater I now use for grating nutmeg.

 
At 31/1/07 22:11, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I think I was being a little extravagant really so it had better be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home