Monday, January 15, 2007

Hosting the Food Cooperative Meeting

I believe I have mentioned before that encouraged by my friend, Tina, I joined a food cooperative back in June 2005. Tina has been a member for over twenty years but membership has fluctuated and it is now down to around a dozen families. This means we are always looking to recruite new members who might be interested in bulk buying.

Yesterday it was my turn to host the ordering meeting and this provided me with the perfect excuse to bake a cake to have with the tea and coffee. We were, able to welcome a new member to the group which was an, unexpected but pleasant bonus. Most people arrive with a list but we do tend to go through the catalogue as we place our orders. Sometimes agreement has already been reached to share items such as dried bluberries which are tremendously expensive (Tina and I can't resist having some dried ones in reserve for times when we can't buy fresh- well not all that fresh here in the UK as they are imported).

I was keen to buy organic 'Puy' lentils but I didn't want 5 kilo. Two of the others wanted a kilo each so I was able to have 3 kilo, for the same price as two smallish packets from the supermarket (a bargain and they will last me ages). The order is delivered to one of the members homes and we collect it in two weeks time and this seems to work reasonably well, although occasionally I have run out of Camomile tea or oats during that time.

Having seen some recipes I wanted to try (on food blogs) I had meant to order polenta and cornmeal but stupidly forgot. I wasn't particularly worried as I tend to go shopping on a Monday and I thought I would have no trouble in getting either item from one of the largest supermarkets in the U.K. Silly me, the guy I asked hadn't ever heard of either but went to ask. It turns out they have ready made Italian polenta but no cornmeal so I will have to visit a whole food shop later in the week and plan a different menu for tomorrow.

I'll maybe return to this topic in a couple of weeks, and I will try and remember to go armed with my camera to capture the organised chaos of what looks like a 'shop' as all the goods are piled up in someone's kitchen waiting to be collected.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 15/1/07 22:49, Blogger Beccy said...

On your next order I'd like more Boullion please. I'm over halfway through so I know I'll need some then.

 
At 16/1/07 09:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy I will also need some then. You must have liked it ?

 
At 16/1/07 13:18, Blogger sallywrites said...

Looks good.

Have been a bit slow in realising how the tag thing works. Will now respond properly to Beccy in my next blog!! Sorry Beccy!!

Sally

 
At 17/1/07 00:46, Blogger Barbara said...

Chris I use the Healtheries cornmeal. Here is the website. They have an email you could ask where their product is available in Bristol.
http://www.healtheries.co.nz/page.php?id=3

 
At 17/1/07 07:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

Barbara thank you I have just emailed them.

 
At 17/1/07 17:03, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sally I haven't tagged anyone as most people I know have already been tagged recently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home