Sunday, January 28, 2007

Old Haunts Revisited

Just a little round up of this weekend, on Friday evening we took a trip to the cinema to see Venus. It was not the most exciting film I've ever seen but nevertheless, it was enjoyable. I am not going to recommend as a 'must see' I think you would need to read the reviews and decide whether it's for you. To round off yesterday's shopping trip, once my mother was settled for the evening, we went out for a meal. Unfortunately we had left it too late to book a table so we ended up having a bar meal instead. The food turned out to be perfectly adequate and I'm not complaining as I didn't have to cook.

We had a very leisurely start to today, and after I cooked my mother's lunch we went off for a local pub lunch. There was a limited Sunday menu and the meal was very mediocre and therefore disappointing. Serves me right as I really knew I should have cooked a nice roast lunch, but decided not to be a kitchen slave as Beccy was here.

Now to the real point of today's post. After lunch I decided we would take a walk on The Downs. This was a regular walk, often on a Sunday, when Beccy and Sam were growing up. There were times when I was not able to go with family as I was an agency nurse and had to cover the weekend shift, as happened on this particular day.

At the time Beccy was about 6 years old and quite adventurous as you can see from this photo she wasn't a bit bothered about being buried in the sand and she was always determined to win any challenge.






Back to the story this is the Avon Gorge where you can walk along the side of the river and it is very popular with climbers but also quite dangerous. Mike and the girls were walking on the path alongside the river( rt hand side in this pic).





When they got to the sheer rock in this picture Mike, apparently, said who can get to the top first. Now it may not look very steep, and these day's it's covered in graffiti but imagine a six year old looking up at this. Beccy did not need second bidding, she was determined to be first to the top and did so with ease. So far so good but the disaster happened when she turned to come down. She soon discovered you do not run down a rock face. The run soon turned into free fall, fortunately a bush broke her fall part way down and there were a couple of climbers who managed to carry her down. She was an incredibly lucky little girl as she only had a few scratches and bruises.

You would think she had learnt from this but she hadn't as a couple of weeks later she fell from a wall and cut on her knee rather badly. As the wound was gushing blood, you would think Mike took her straight to Accident and Emergency, but no he brought her to me at work, where I could do nothing as I was looking after an elderly lady in her own home so could not leave. I sent them straight to hospital where she had seven stitches in her knee and she has scars that remind her of the incident.

Today I took her back to take another look at the scenery she so vividly remembers from her childhood. This photo was taken from across the river. We have never let her forget this incident which was not really her fault and it's always mentioned when we drive pass the spot, as we do quite often getting to and from the airport.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 29/1/07 03:52, Blogger Barbara said...

I don't know why but I never imagined Bristol to have that sort of scenery. It looks like a nice spot.

 
At 29/1/07 09:24, Blogger The very nice man said...

Stunning pictures! Now lets see some of Chrisb!

 
At 29/1/07 12:21, Blogger ChrisB said...

Erik my fun monday post is now published, no rude comments mind!! (joke)

 
At 29/1/07 12:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara we do have quite a few open spaces and pretty walks both within the city and nearby. If you follow the river you get right into the city centre which has been developed over the past few years.

 
At 29/1/07 15:32, Blogger FH said...

Beautiful pics!I love English coutryside,even the cities are so full of History and great natural beauty.
Did you hear our Shilpa Shetty from India won the BB??!!:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home