Saturday, January 06, 2007

Using up the beef.

Today was one of those days when I was glad I stayed in bed for an extra hour. Even before I opened the curtains I could hear the rain and it remained miserable for most of the day. I was actually tempted to jump back into bed but I had to brave the elements to collect the daily papers which I then read over a leisurely breakfast. Oh and I completed the quick crossword, with Mike's help on one clue. When it came to making dinner I had nothing planned but I knew there was some cold beef that had to be used and I decided to make a pot luck Cottage Pie as I also had lots of vegetables. You can see from the photos below how it turned out.

I have a very old Robot Chef Food Processor so old it's no longer in production and a quick search tells me it's the Robot coupe that the latest. Well mine may look antiquated but it still works (chopping the meat very quickly) so I don't think I will be buying a new one anytime soon.



I fried some chopped onions and courgettes (Zucchinis) and added diced carrot red pepper and more courgettes that had been zapped in microwave.






Added meat, oxo gravy, worchester sauce, salt and pepper






Topped with creamed desiree potatoes (added couple of tablespoons cream a little butter, salt and pepper and a small amount of grated cheese to produce a very smooth consistency. Now if I was a food blogger I would have piped this on evenly. As I'm not I plonked it on smoothed with knike and patterned with fork before popping it in the oven to brown.


While the pie was browning I cooked some extra vegetables and the end result was quite tasty with a nice glass of wine.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 7/1/07 01:46, Blogger Sam said...

you are a better woman than me, mum.
if i had beef left over i would make a nice sandwich with lots of mustard and horseradish and not a sprout or brocolli in sight!

 
At 7/1/07 07:58, Blogger Beccy said...

Looks very tasty and enough to last you a week!

 
At 7/1/07 09:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam I already had the sandwich but dad won't eat cold beef. can't think why as you loose the flavour mushing it up.

beccy with roast parsnip today

 
At 7/1/07 14:08, Blogger FH said...

I love Shepherd's Pie Chris!I made one last month and will be in my post shortly.Looks great,Beef and Potato,who doesn't like that?!:)

 
At 7/1/07 16:40, Blogger Sam said...

Asha - Shepherds pie in Britain has to contain lamb, whilst cottage pie contains beef.

In the USA they call it shepherds pie, whatever the meat.

 
At 7/1/07 16:42, Blogger Sam said...

Mum - tell dad to stop complaining and eat his cold beef sandwich. If he doesn't like it, make him sit at the table all afternoon in front of it, until he finishes.

Dad - if you need to know any tricks about how to surreptitiously get rid of food you don't want to eat, let me know, I could sell you a tip or two.

 
At 7/1/07 19:23, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Why, it's beautiful!!
And I can't think of any food bloggers that would pipe on the potatoes... Well maybe one or two. I like it your way, all homey and real.

 
At 7/1/07 19:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha looking forward to seeing your version.

Sam we had a good laugh at your comments. Yes brings back memories of your little pouch!!

Cookiecrumb I sometimes try to impress but it rarely works so I stick to what I can do.

 
At 7/1/07 20:00, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm with Cookie - I wouldn't pipe it on either.

 
At 7/1/07 22:37, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

POUCH!!
Aha!

 
At 7/1/07 23:01, Blogger Sam said...

mum - i am going to KILL you

war

 
At 7/1/07 23:03, Blogger ChrisB said...

Barbara I was looking in the cook book Sam gave me for Christmas and the piping was Marcus Waering's suggestion ('because it gives a smoother neater finish'). However he then goes on to smooth the piped potato using a palatte knife which seems to defeat the object of piping it in the first place!

 
At 7/1/07 23:28, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam no you're not you love me xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home