Friday, January 12, 2007

Why does excercise always make you feel hungry!!

It would have been very easy to stay indoors today and not put my nose above the parapet but instead I got up bright and early to make soup as this was what my mother said she fancied. I wanted to have it ready for my brother to collect on his way in to visit her. We had thought she was coming home this week but she had a little relapse during early hours of Weds so they moved her back to a medical ward and she is having her heart monitored at the moment as the doctors seem a bit puzzled as to what triggered the 'raised pulse etc'.

I decided to have a day off from visiting and go for a swim and I have to say I feel so much better for the excercise. The trouble is it's also made me feel a lot more hungry. Repeat- I must not give in, I must not give in... no it's not working I shall have to go and make a drink and raid the fruit bowl or maybe have a piece of malt loaf. You can tell me off for being so weak it might encourage me to stop the snacking habit I seem to have developed since the recent festivities.

Beccy just to show you I am still keeping up with the news: An Oxford prof says that youngsters have a different sleep pattern to adults and they would achieve more if they were allowed to lie in and start school around 11am (they are apparently in a permanent state of jet lag). The pattern apparently reverses around age 20 when adults become more alert in the mornings (it's to do with the secretion of melatonin). Dillon might be interested in this article.

5 Comments:

At 12/1/07 18:24, Blogger Beccy said...

Dillon has a problem getting to sleep and can read for hours and hours. One night last week he was awake until 6am, I then had to wake him at 7.30am. If he sleeps he can get up no problem. This week he's been having long baths and hot chocolate before bed and the situation is much improved.

 
At 12/1/07 19:44, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy isn't that the point he's better later in the day and if you hadn't had to wake him at 7:30 he would have slept for hours. So his normal sleep pattern would be different.

 
At 12/1/07 21:38, Blogger Beccy said...

I don't think getting to sleep at 6am is normal even by teenage standards! Last week he had about four hours sleep over two days and would possibly have slept untill 2pm or later. I blame his father for passing on his defective sleeping genes. I on the other hand can sleep anytime, any place why today I was nodding off on the tram.

 
At 12/1/07 22:53, Blogger Barbara said...

Several High schools in NZ have a later start time for teenage pupils due to this research.

 
At 13/1/07 08:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

Barbara I think German and American studies in schools that have changed times show better exam results and truancy and depression have gone down. If it works its got to be worth trying but I can't see it happening here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home