Monday, February 12, 2007

Fun Monday 4 'Why I love where I live'



When Marnie chose "why I love where I live' as the topic for Fun Monday 4, I realised that I didn't really have any photos that would convey the delights of this lovely city. Bristol was a sea-faring city and the birthplace to a host of famous people, buildings and designs. This city gave the world supersonic flights (Concorde), poets (Robert Southey Romantic poet and Poet Laureate, Thomas Chatterton) and explorers (John Cabot), Cary Grant (actor) and Wallace and Gromit (Aardman who have just parted comany with Dreamworks). Further back in history there are some legacies that we are less than proud of as a lot of the city was developed out of the slave and sugar trade. Bristol has some wonderful architecture, a couple of universities and it was home to Isambard Kingdom Brunel, a polymath, whose achievements are known throughout the world.

I have lived in Bristol since 1962 and during these past 44 years I have had five different homes within a five mile radius on the north side of the city so there must be some attraction. In my opinion the city has something to offer everyone. There are plenty of green spaces, parks and walks within the city, and we are conveniently close to motorways and an airport. There are cathedrals, theatres, museums, plenty of shops including an out of town mall and masses of sports facilities. It's only a short drive out to the country or a trip down the motorway to reach the sea. What more could you ask for- well maybe better weather anyway I have never seriously thought of living anywhere else as I think it is a lovely city.
In the absence of photos and to get some idea of Bristol's attractions I hope you will look here or here for pictures. There are a couple of good views of Brunel's famous Clifton Suspension Bridge here.
If you are looking for a short break or if you are visiting from overseas put Bristol on your itinerary, you can always have a pit stop here and no I am not being paid by the tourist board- I wish!!
Now I'm off to do some browsing.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 12/2/07 16:11, Blogger Amy W said...

Sounds like a lovely place to live!

 
At 12/2/07 16:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love hearing about new places!

 
At 12/2/07 17:31, Blogger Beccy said...

Hey good post Mum think I'll pop over for a visit in the summer!!!!

 
At 12/2/07 18:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice place, my husband and I have promised ourselves a trip to the UK in five years (for our 15th anniversary) and I will have to put Bristol on my list!
(By the way, as per your comment on my blog, there is also a Bristol, Ct!)

Lisa

 
At 12/2/07 18:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks lovely, i would certainly visit in the future. i would love to just drive around the uk and see all the towns i've heard about. we did something like that a few years ago, before we had kids, but there's only so much you can see in a week's time.

 
At 12/2/07 18:44, Blogger Barbara said...

Bristol looks like a lovely town. I'd certainly consider a visit if (when) in the UK. Cary Grant - I did not know that.

 
At 12/2/07 21:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to visit Bristol. Sounds like a lovely place.

 
At 12/2/07 23:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why we Aussie are drawn to the UK (apart from the whole ancestry thing, mine is Scottish). It's the history that brings us, hell you guys have underwear older than most of our buildings!

 
At 13/2/07 01:46, Blogger Unknown said...

That does it! I'm coming over! Lovely place, Bristol.

 
At 13/2/07 07:11, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Chris ~~ Great post about Bristol, and the pictures were really
good. Looks so nice.
Thanks for your visit, glad you liked the English Sayings. They were fub.
Take care, Chris, Cheers, Merle.

 
At 13/2/07 08:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi everyone thank you for your comments sorry not to be answering individually. Bristol is certainly well worth a visit so any time guys, I will have the kettle on and cut the cucumber sandwiches!!

Lisa 5 years will soon speed by wonder if we'll all still be blogging!.

now willow tree its funny you should mention old underwear- no better not go down that route!!

barbara we actually lived quite close to Carry Grant's house

 
At 13/2/07 10:50, Blogger Merle said...

Hi agan Chris ~~ Thank you for your comments on The Big Wheel story. It was a lovely story and I do hope that there are truly good people around that help the needy. Take care, Love,
Merle.

 
At 13/2/07 12:14, Blogger enidd said...

enid loves bristol too. great post, chris!

 
At 13/2/07 14:34, Blogger ChrisB said...

Chris thinks that enid has visited Bristol from her comment??

 
At 14/2/07 06:18, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I used to love going to Bristol when I was little. I was always fond of shopping and there wasn't much in Weston!

 
At 14/2/07 07:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

emma did you know they are re-developing all the broadmead shopping area of bristol so at the moment it's a complete mess. Weston is hardly recognisable for all the new housing developments but its still nice to walk along the beach particularly out of season.

 
At 14/2/07 08:02, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

I did not know that Chris, it has been years since I was in Bristol. My aunt's house backs onto a farmer's field in the Locking area of Weston and I wonder how long it will be before her beautiful view is filled with houses!

Enjoy the trip to Dublin!

 
At 15/2/07 01:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bridges, cliffs and beautiful trees! What's not to love? Most of what you list is also true of why I love Vancouver. Bristol looks lovely.

If I ever get of of Canada I'll swing on by.

Sorry it took so long to stop by.. I finally recovered from my weekend of studying followed by a mid-term hell! I survived!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home