Friday, February 09, 2007

Lentil Soup

Having got 3 kilo of lentils I decided that I had better start using some of them and what better than to make a warming healthy lentil soup for a cold day. I had been looking for soup recipes and found one for Greek Lentil Soup over at alice q foodie. I had every intention of trying this recipe but what did I find in my faithful, old, battered cookery book that is falling apart.


This recipe:

Lentil Soup Recipe ( serves 4)
Cooking time 1.5 hours

8 oz washed lentils (I used Puy but red lentils would probably puree better)
4 oz chopped bacon
1 chopped onion
1 chopped carrot
1 pint stock
seasoning
little chopped thyme or parsley (I used parsley as it's what I had)
1oz butter
half oz flour
half pint milk
Garnish chopped parsley

Method:
Put the lentils (can be soaked overnight- I didn't), bacon, onion, carrot and stock into pan and add seasoning and herbs-seasoning MUST be added at start of the cooking. Cover and simmer for about 1.5 hrs.
Meanwhile make a very thin sauce with butter, flour and milk.
Then add to the lentil puree and reheat.
Check seasoning and served garnished with chopped parsley.

The final result was a very tasty, filling soup but the colour is not attractive as you can see. (I won't put you off trying this recipe by describing colour and texture, will leave to your imagination).



PS for some reason the direct link to Alice Q's lentil recipe has not worked but you will be able to find it I'm sure. She has a lot of lovely recipes and photos that are worth a browse.

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

At 9/2/07 13:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me it was jolly good. MIL said it was too thick but it took my mind back soooo many years to when lentils were things that were available when a lot of things were not. I liked it then and I liked it this time thick or not.Love, Em

 
At 9/2/07 13:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

thank you embee but would you dare to say you didn't like it !!

 
At 9/2/07 14:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oah Yesss

 
At 9/2/07 15:50, Blogger Beccy said...

Maybe on blogland he would mum!

I have to say that it looks like diarrhoea with extra lumpy bits included. Sounds nice but the look really puts me off. I don't think I want to be fed that next time I visit.

 
At 9/2/07 16:03, Blogger PR@ said...

rebecca is a wuss.
eat with your tongue and your nose not your eyes, rebecca. othewise you'll miss out on all sorts of deliciousness.
mum - i think it looks delicious.
how i wish i could find my maguerite patten book again.
if you ever see a second hand copy, snatch it up for me!

 
At 9/2/07 16:52, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy 'he' has turned into a real lurker I'm going to do a post on it one day.

Also I meant for you to keep it in your imagination not voice it ( but its what first came to my mind)

Sam glad you think it looks delicious. I have been keeping my eyes open for MP book. I think there is a web site that will find out of print books and I'll have another browse for it.

 
At 9/2/07 18:29, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I second Sam. It looks perfect. Great photo, too.
I love EmBee's sweet remarks. Reminds me of my dad -- he has a fondness for lentil soup for exactly the same reasons.

 
At 9/2/07 18:54, Blogger FH said...

Mmmm...!! Yummy!!Great looking soup.Warm soup on a cold day!:))

 
At 9/2/07 19:10, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC if he he was less than complimentary he knows I might not cook- I always know when he doesn't like something but he's generally quite easy to please and eats what he's given like a good little boy something to do with being brought up during the war.

Asha it's even colder today and pretty miserable here so soup is just right.

 
At 9/2/07 23:50, Blogger Stephanie mama drama said...

Ohhh, yum!! I will definitely make this this weekend!!

 
At 10/2/07 05:04, Blogger enidd said...

yum, enid loves lentil soup. have you ever tried making an indian one - a thin daal? yum.

 
At 10/2/07 10:29, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Chris ~~ The Lentil soup sounds lovely, I have copied the recipe.
Lentils are good for us, I think.
Thank you for your visit and comments
Glad you enjoyed the story of Billy and the little fawn, as well as the jokes. The link to Alice Q worked
for me. Take care, Chris, Loe, Merle.

 
At 10/2/07 10:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

enid I shall have to give that a go.

Merle and Stephanie if you do try this you may need more stock so advise checking as cooking. I should also have converted the amounts to metric but was in a bit of a hurry.

Have a great weekend everyone.

 
At 10/2/07 15:04, Blogger sallywrites said...

I love lentil and bacon soup. Actually, we ahve some in the cupboard. I think I might make some for this evening!

Thanks you Chris! That's got me off the hook as to what to do....

 
At 10/2/07 15:18, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sally the bacon just gives the exra flavour-enjoy

 
At 11/2/07 08:58, Blogger Beccy said...

Oh Sam go and find someone else to spout off to or get a life.

 
At 11/2/07 09:01, Blogger Beccy said...

It's a bit cheap of you considering the agony you put me through as a child waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...while you flaffed around not eating with your mouth, or your eyes or your nose because you just wouldn't eat all the delicious food Mum made for us.

 
At 11/2/07 09:03, Blogger Beccy said...

I think you've also lost your sense of humour, I was teasing Mum by describing what the colour and texture looked like to me, did you read her last paragraph.

 
At 11/2/07 22:05, Blogger Barbara said...

I love lentils, Bryan hates them, so we never eat them at home although I'll order them in a restaurant.

 
At 13/2/07 14:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I can't honestly say I was a big fan until now ( the chn didn't really like them so gave up trying). It was really Sam's T.sausage recipe that got me back into thinking about lentils. Now I'm hooked on trying different recipes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home