Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My version of Blueberry Breakfast (Anytime) Bars


I saw a mouth watering picture that Barbara at winosandfoodies had posted of what looked like a delicious snack and decided that I just had to try it. This is a recipe, using among other things blueberries and oats, that Barbara found on Farmgirl's blog. You will find the link to the recipe on Barbara's post therefore will not include it here.
So making sure that I bought sufficient blueberries I decided to give it a go yesterday. I didn't have the recommended size pan so mine probably turned out a little thicker than intended but I still managed to cut into sixteen.

As I was preparing the ingredients it seemed like the layers were going to be quite a rich consistency and when cooked I personally found it was quite sweet, although my mother thought it was fine. However, when (not if) I make them again I'm going to put in a little less sugar and see what happens. I have a lot of blackberries and loganberries in my freezer so intend to use up some perfecting this recipe.
I know these are called 'Breakfast Bars' but I agree with Barbara they are delicious at any time and you could serve them as a hot dessert and then cool the remainder for later, that's if there are any left!!

PS You might like to know that my friend Tina's verdict is "mmmmmmm they're almost orgasmic" so get baking!!!!!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At 7/2/07 15:20, Blogger sallywrites said...

Looks lovely!!

Beccy has written about them too. Must be meant that we all try them!

Sally

 
At 7/2/07 15:32, Blogger The very nice man said...

I take it my Blueberry Bars are in the post!!????

 
At 7/2/07 16:05, Blogger Pamela said...

There is only one thing better than blueberries... and that is MORE bluberries. yum

 
At 7/2/07 16:42, Blogger Sam said...

I'm glad to note I'll still be set to have orgasmic experiences after I've retired.

 
At 7/2/07 16:52, Blogger Beccy said...

Sam you made me laugh!!!!

I'm going to try mine with apple next Mum, great minds think alike eh?

 
At 7/2/07 18:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sally I am about to go and read beccy's post. I would certainly recommend them.

Erik they won't travel but if ever you visit Bristol they go well with coffee.

Pamela we are in agreemen, I've had two very small bushes in pots for past 2 yrs that bear a few handfuls, wish I had room for more.

Sam I nearly didn't add this comment but it was so spontaneous I couldn't resist.

Beccy it must be telepathy.

 
At 7/2/07 19:10, Blogger Barbara said...

Chris they look yummy. I agree about the sugar and also intend to put in less next time I make them. If I make them. My family said these are so good we will get so fat if you keep maing these. Orgasmic. Yes indeed.

 
At 7/2/07 20:34, Blogger Momo said...

can you put some (more) in a box and mail to me...I have no time and no skills for things are made in the kitchen...though if they are so orgasmic, I would give a try!!!!

 
At 7/2/07 21:39, Blogger FH said...

Beautiful! After that last comment,we must all try those!!:D:D

 
At 7/2/07 22:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if they would work with strawberries? by the end of june my fridge is full to the brim with strawberries from the garden. i've got to get making some lemon bars, before the lemons go all weird!

thanks for sharing :)

 
At 7/2/07 22:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think they were too sweet. I wonder what they would be like with a sugar substitute?

momo /asha It was so funny when Tina made "the comment' I just laughed and as I had written but not published I had to add it. (I did get her permission though)

 
At 7/2/07 23:38, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane lucky you home grown strawberries, it might be worth trying a batch.

 
At 8/2/07 13:01, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent photo! I love blueberries in any form.

When I am eating blueberries, I wonder if chocolate is so necessary after all.

(It is!)

 
At 8/2/07 15:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

mimi blueberries/fruit is the new choc for me ( well most of the time but I easily fall off the waggon given half a chance)!

 
At 8/2/07 17:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, well they would be okay with chocolate inside too! :) cos, afterall, everything goes with chocolate :)

and i love strawberries, so having a whole patch of them in the garden is my idea of heaven. i can just pick and pick and eat and eat! sigh....

 
At 8/2/07 21:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane I agree that sounds like strawberry heaven to me, I'm a fruit junkie and need my daily fix of fruit (today blueberries, strawberries and raspberries on my porridge)

 
At 8/2/07 23:23, Blogger Susan in va said...

YUMMMMMM!

That was NOT nice!

My son, the Inquisitor, will LOOOOOVVVVEEE these!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home