Saturday, April 21, 2007

The answer to the Question is it fact or fiction!

I have just realised I failed to give you the answer to the question I left you with on the end of Witty Wedneday

Q: How did the sirloin steak get its name?

Well that delightfully, gorgeous, wonderfully amusing, princess of a daughter of mine has obviously been googling and she came up with the answer in the comments which is:

A: Legend has it that an English king, said to be Henry VIII, James I or Charles II, liked the steak so much, he knighted it, giving it the name "Sir Loin." The table where this event is said to have taken place can be seen at Hoghton Tower (which is near Preston) in Lancashire.
But according to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word comes from French and simply means "above the loin."

The story that James I knighted the loin steak is taken from a tale relating to James' generosity in giving friends (and those who would pay the sum of £50) a knighthood.

Our English royalty were often eccentric (some would say still are) so it could well be that one of them did something this daft as for it to be true and it is quite amusing; however the dictionary version seems logical so you can decide which you prefer to believe.

P.S. I will be doing another post later today to explain my 24 hour disappearance from the blogsphere.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 21/4/07 10:31, Blogger Beccy said...

I was right, *bows to the left and right* I graciously accept my prize...oh...where is it?...What is it?...

 
At 21/4/07 10:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

dream on !!

 
At 21/4/07 16:07, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm dreaming...holiday in the Carribbean...cruise in the Med...skiing in Canada...

 
At 21/4/07 17:51, Blogger my4kids said...

you two are to funny!

Glad to see your computer and internet are better.

 
At 21/4/07 20:55, Blogger ChrisB said...

my4kids it's a relief to be reconnected

 
At 21/4/07 22:35, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. That's a cool story. I know I commented that the other day, but glad to know it's true! How weird.

 
At 21/4/07 22:39, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

hahah beccy. You're funny, you stirrer!

 
At 21/4/07 22:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

little miss moi she's good at that always used to wind her sister up (she'll probably say it was the other way around- I guess they were about even!)

 
At 22/4/07 00:43, Blogger Pamela said...

very funny... indeed. Sir Loin.

Now we need to figure out how pork loin got it's name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home