Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lemon Curd is Mellow Yellow

Barbara, over at winosandfoodies asked that we participate in Livestrong Day (New Zealand)

(LIVESTRONG Day is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's (LAF) grassroots advocacy initiative to unify people affected by cancer and to raise awareness about cancer survivorship issues on a national level and in local communities across the country. LIVESTRONG Day 2007 will occur on Wednesday, May 16.)

Barbara says "I'm asking all bloggers to participate in the blog event A TASTE OF YELLOW by making a dish containing some type of yellow food. This can be anything you like as long it features a yellow food".

As soon as I read this I signed up straight away. I'm normally very reluctant to participate in cooking events as I do not consider myself a particularly good cook and I'm an even worse photographer but cancer is something that touches us all and awareness needs to be publicised. Also I have been planning to make some Lemon Curd and this was just the motivation I needed to stop talking about it and get making it. Yesterday my mother was out with her friend so I knew I'd have the kitchen to myself and I made my first batch. Now you may not think three jars is very much but remember this is for eating not keeping.


 
Posted by Picasa


Recipe:
I used the BBC recipe by Burrastow House Hotel
Makes 4-6 jars

Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
Ingredients

4 lemons, rind and juice
4 eggs
110g/4oz butter
450g/1lb sugar

Method
1. Grate rind of lemons and squeeze out juice. Put sugar, rind and juice, butter and beaten eggs into a large basin on top of a pan of simmering water. Stir with a wooden spoon until thick and curd coats the back of the spoon. Pour into warm sterile jars, cover, seal and label. Refrigerate.

Anyone thinking of participating will need to email Barbara with details of the post by May 7th.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 26/4/07 14:11, Blogger FH said...

Looks delicious.I made Saffron-Vanilla Pudding for her!!:))

 
At 26/4/07 14:23, Blogger Beccy said...

Makes 4-6 jars. I guess your jars are rather big then. Lemon curd would taste so good on my no-knead bread or in a lemon merignue pie.

 
At 26/4/07 14:23, Blogger frannie said...

great job raising awareness!!! good for you- and it looks yummy!

 
At 26/4/07 14:46, Blogger enidd said...

lemon curd is enidd's secret passion. yum. and she never gets to eat it because the man doesn't like it and a whole jar would be too tempting.

 
At 26/4/07 14:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmm, no cooking for me. I can make some yellow jewelry though!

 
At 26/4/07 14:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love lemon curd, I had a good recipe around but lost it, so I'll have to try this one.
I'll have to sign up, anything for a good cause :)

 
At 26/4/07 15:12, Blogger Sam said...

perfect. I will have to send this to penny as she was making lemon curd and she didnt really like the recipe i gave her. (I means she liked it when I made it for her, but when she made it herself and saw how much butter and sugar went in to it she was filled with dread!)

 
At 26/4/07 16:26, Blogger ChrisB said...

asha I have just been to a local market and bought some wholemeal bread and my mother and I intend to have a slice generously spread with it for our afternoon tea.

beccy also how juicy the lemons are etc. I could have made an extra jar and I actually wonder if I over left it reducing and thickening for too long.

frannie It is quite a sharp lemony taste which is how I like it; shop bought is so sickly tasting not that I buy it very often.

enidd I don't think it would travel too well or I would send you a jar.

nikki that's a good idea

lisa I'll look forward to seeing what you cook up!!

sam penny is unlikely to like this one either as it's got quite a lot of sugar and butter in it.

 
At 26/4/07 19:47, Blogger AfKaP said...

Oh that looks so good and not just because I haven't had lunch yet!! I made popcorn - does that count? (Yes it was in the microwave! sigh)

 
At 26/4/07 19:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

PW I'm not a fan of popcorn so I'm not envious. I tried it earlier on fresh wholemeal bread and it was delicious.

 
At 26/4/07 20:01, Blogger ~ej said...

that is SO pretty! i love lemon curd but i'm thinking i could quarter this recipe as it's just me who would eat it!
i've only had the imported store bought lemon curd (an english brand of course), and it was lovely.
i hate grating lemons tho....

 
At 26/4/07 22:03, Blogger Barbara said...

Thankyou for your support of A Taste Of Yellow Chris. Lemon Curd is a favourite of mine I have a recipe for lemon curd made in the microwave which makes just enough for a week.

And yes I'll accept yellow jewellery and corn is yellow so popcorn counts. Just send your posts to me at atasteofyellowATgmailDOTcom

 
At 27/4/07 04:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! I've never made lemon curd before - It looks pretty simple. I will have to give it a try.

 
At 27/4/07 10:21, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane I had forgotten how good the home made version is I used to make it when kids were young but haven't since until now.

barbara I'm not going to get into the habbit of eating too much, however I want to make some rhubarb jam hav eyoiu ever tried making it. I know beccy has a recipe which I must ask for,

karmyn it's very easy let me know how it turns out if you do make it.

 
At 27/4/07 10:35, Blogger sallywrites said...

My Mum always used to make Lemon Curd - but she called it lemon cheese. I think it's the same recipe. Delicious!!!

 
At 27/4/07 12:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

sally I thought lemon cheese was a slighty different recipe but I expect I'm wrong. this one is good and easy so I would recommend it.

 
At 27/4/07 22:28, Blogger Barbara said...

Sorry Chris - I've never made rhubarb jam. I have made rhubarb jelly which looks much prettier than jam.

 
At 28/4/07 07:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

barbara did you ever post the recipe if so please would you send the link thank you

 
At 28/4/07 07:50, Blogger Pamela said...

I didn't know about this. TH wears his livestrong bracelet -- as he is a bicyclist. tomorrow a.m. he's going out for a leisurely 60 mile ride.

I'm sleeping in

 
At 28/4/07 08:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

pamela 60 MILES I'm exhausted just saying it. funnily enough we were talking about doing a leisurely few miles along a cycle path towards Bath this weekend (16 max there and back) but as its so nice I think we might have to get on with the potting and other bits of gardening and embee had a tummy upset yesterday so he may not be up to doing much. Enjoy your weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home