Monday, June 18, 2007

Fun Monday # 21 What hangs on my wall ?



Our host this week is Molly(mjd) Return of the White Robin Her challenge:

"I am asking that you show us something that hangs on your wall that is fun, interesting, endearing, sentimental, or otherwise enticing. Select the picture of Uncle Horace, Grandma Galt's needlepoint, or little Susie's first finger painting to show the blogging community".

I have a lot of treasures hanging on my wall and I found it difficult to choose just one item as they all have a story and are very special to me. I went around the house taking photos and I have picked out a few things to show you. The picture of my hall shows a collection of mainly blue plates and some are quite old.
The two pictures on the left were picked up at a house sale for a bargain £7 back in the 70's. They are not particularly good paintings and these are not the original frames but my grandfather bid for them on my behalf so they are special.
The three painting on the other wall are my grandchildren, painted by their other granny just after they were born, these are in my keeping for them to have in the future.

The two oblong paintings are views of Constantine beach in Cornwall, where we always went for holidays when the girls were young. The one on the right is my favourite and the artist painted this for an exhibition and was not planning to sell it but we managed to persuade him. I then commissioned the other so that I have a panoramic view which brings back so many memorable holidays.

The picture of the Freesia (my favourite flower) is one of two painted by the mother of a friend of Sam's, Toni Hayden back in 90/91, when I googled her I found this. She also painted the picture of Sam and Beccy which sits above the computer desk.

The picture of Sam when she was nearly three was painted in the West Indies from a photo and the colours are not right. The dress was blue not green and its not the best of portraits but it was the first one I ever had so its special to me.

The print 'Between Two Fires' by the American artist Frank Millet hangs in my mother's room and you can guess why we like this (not sure embee does!!)

The Imari plate is one of a pair the other now belongs to my ex sister-in-law and they came from her aunt. I was given it in the 70's and I don't know how old they are.

The large photo of the dog is hanging on my b'fast room wall and was given to me by the family one birthday back in the 80's. Just look at that face, she was the best companion for 14 years.

The photos of the girls hang in my bedroom and were taken by Sam when she was at college and was experimenting.

The clock hanging on my landing belonged to my grandmother, we do not keep it working as my mother does not like the chimes, pity really as I rather like them. The pictures alongside the clock are some more that I bought at a house sale just to decorate the walls in our previous house so I've had them over 35 years.

Lastly the Anime art was done by my grandson Dillon a couple of years ago just before his 12th birthday (I have posted these pictures before but I make no apologies for this as I think they are very good).

I think I've rambled on for quite long enough and you are probably bored to tears so I will leave you to watch my little picture show.


This nosey parker is looking forward to seeing what hangs on everyone elses walls !!

Labels: , , , ,

36 Comments:

At 18/6/07 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post, complete with a serenade by the King! I love the slide show. I think I am drawn to the photographs taken by Sam. In fact I think I better watch the show again!

 
At 18/6/07 11:51, Blogger theotherbear said...

What a fabulous way of showcasing those! Loved it! I am so jealous we didn't think of it.
Favourites were the photos of your girls. I thought they were really good.

 
At 18/6/07 13:40, Blogger Molly said...

Oh my, you might deserve a Fun Monday prize for your clever presentation of your lovely wall displays (even set to music.) I really like the artist's picture of Sam and Beccy.

 
At 18/6/07 14:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delightful post ! How clever you are with the video. Wish I knew how to do that. I have that VERY clock. My youngest daughter has it now and for some reason it just won't tick tock anymore. Love the eclectic feeling you have displayed. Thanks. Now, I have Dean's voice stuck in my mind. What an appropriate song for your Fun Monday post.

 
At 18/6/07 14:14, Blogger Jodi said...

Such a nice way to show off your favorite wall hangings!! I love the picture of the girls!!

 
At 18/6/07 14:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your walls are covered with so much love. What a fantastic slide show, I really enjoyed it. I love blue and white plates,and the photos of Sam and Beccy.
Beautiful post.

 
At 18/6/07 14:56, Blogger Unknown said...

I love all of your wall hangings! Very nice!

 
At 18/6/07 15:22, Blogger debi said...

Thank you for stopping by. You have done a wonderful job displaying your pictures. I will have to read on and see more.

 
At 18/6/07 15:27, Blogger Luv4Zoe said...

I love your slide show. You have very beautiful pictures and plates!

 
At 18/6/07 16:01, Blogger Beckie said...

A+ for presentation! Fantastic!

If I had a prize I would definitely give it to you!

 
At 18/6/07 16:32, Blogger frannie said...

what a fun way to do fun monday!

great job! I loved getting a peek at your home!

 
At 18/6/07 20:28, Blogger Debs said...

LOVE your slide show set to music. Wonderful pics on your walls :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

 
At 18/6/07 21:05, Blogger Robinella said...

Your home is so... homey. Reminds me of my Mom's. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful treasures. What I want to know is how you created that video montage.

 
At 18/6/07 21:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic way of showing your pictures. The panoramic seascape is gorgeous.

 
At 18/6/07 21:59, Blogger Wendy said...

What neat pictures you have hanging on your walls! I love the plates!! What a chaotic time you had trying to get your surprise Fathers Day gift set. But, Embee looks happy to enjoy!! Great job with all your hard work! I hope it was a wonderful day!!

 
At 18/6/07 22:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that was the best Fun Monday ever!!! Loved the music and everything you showed. So much so I might just have to watch it again. Great job!

 
At 18/6/07 22:50, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Okay - you have officially won Fun Monday.

Not like I can award a prize or anything - but that was AWESOME!

 
At 18/6/07 23:59, Blogger sallywrites said...

I loved the little film Chris. That was really clever!

 
At 19/6/07 02:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you the clever one? What a fun way to see all the treasures in your home.

 
At 19/6/07 04:11, Blogger my4kids said...

LOve the slideshow and the music you set to it! I love all the photos of the girls and your grandkids and all...

 
At 19/6/07 06:42, Blogger Barbara said...

Wow CHris that is so clever.

 
At 19/6/07 07:27, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Terrific Fun Monday!! Loved your slideshow....I never thought to do it on YouTube! One Smart Cookie! Great memory filled walls!!

 
At 19/6/07 08:38, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

Fantastic slide show! I love all of your paintings and photographs, especially the Animes, they are so cute.

By the way you've just been tagged Chris :o)

 
At 19/6/07 13:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure whoi commissioned the second Constantine Bay Picture, but I do know who paid for it and went down to Padstow to pick it up. And I believe I know to whom the picture Between two Fires belongs too. The Picturse of the girls and Tamsie are the tops if not the most valuable. Love.

 
At 19/6/07 13:50, Blogger FH said...

Great collection of Art there Chris.It was fun watching.Thank you:)

 
At 19/6/07 15:11, Blogger Karina said...

What a great display. I think you may have started a trend, and next week a bunch of Fun Monday's will be put to video and music! Great idea!

I love the anime drawings!

 
At 19/6/07 15:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, yep, you win for innovation; it was nice READING about your wall treasures, then seeing them fade in and out.

The pictures of the girls stand out in my mind...and the freesia...and the plate collection...and the paintings...and the pooch...

So much to absorb, a wonderful display :).

 
At 19/6/07 17:41, Blogger Sam said...

brilliant post mum - I often tell people about that 'between two fires' picture because it tickles me a great deal. In fact tell dad maybe it even marmalizes me ;)

 
At 19/6/07 18:15, Blogger ChrisB said...

MY APOLOGIES AS I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE INDIVIDUAL REPLIES TO YOUR COMMENTS. I WANT TO SAY I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO READING THEM AND I APPRECIATE AND VALUE EVERY SINGLE ONE. SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

You have said some really nice things about the slide show. For those who wondered about how I created it- I use my iphoto programme (mac) and upload to you tube, and then back to blogger. I have been experimenting with different styles of slide shows so I will gradually be trying them out when I want to show a few pictures. What I haven't worked out is how to fit the music exactly. ( I will have to get some instructions from my expert-sam)

 
At 19/6/07 21:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures, and incredible show!

 
At 19/6/07 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a clever idea, chris, how did you do it? enidd loves the photos of sam and beccy, and dillon's anime. he is very talented!

 
At 19/6/07 22:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

enidd hoorah for iphoto !!:)

 
At 20/6/07 00:01, Blogger Debbie said...

Awesome video. Wonderful pictures. The sketches are gorgeous. Love the music.

Very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 20/6/07 17:01, Blogger ~ej said...

love the photos, love the video....very nice!! :)

 
At 20/6/07 20:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

debbie and elena jane glad you both enjoyed the video I wanted to try something a bit different :)

 
At 16/6/08 20:12, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Love the song and your walls are fab. Your grandson is very talented and freesias always make me think of my lovely Gran as she loved them. I had them in my wedding bouquet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home