Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Mate........

If you hate marmite I would leave now!!!

If you are a regular reader then you may remember my previous posts about my quest for the limited edition of Guinness marmite which embee finally managed to get for me back in March, while I was in Spain. Two of the jars were dispatched to San Fransisco, one for Sam and the other for Cookiecrumb who had never tried it. I was hoping she would love it and I think her first tastings suggest she is well on the way. Tuesday, Cookiecrumb (thank you for the links) wrote about her marmite experience (drop by and see what she says) and she was asking about recipes. This prompted me write this post as I do have a cookery book but you will see from the photo it is in pristine condition which shows how much I use it!

I only very occasionally use marmite to flavour a dish, much preferring it on toast in a sandwich or with pitta bread, oh and it's wonderful with crisps (chips) but quite a lot of salt so I rarely undulge now. Looking through the recipes in this book it does seem marmite is being used for flavouring. I was quite surprised to to see this book is still available! I had mine back in 1992.

I found another marmite recipe book on Amazon written by Paul Hartley He has also written a Coleman's Mustard book.

Some more recipe ideas here (some are seriously weird Marmite Strawberry/Peanut butter melt yuk- if this had been my first taste of marmite I don't think I would eating it now)
even Gary Rhodes uses marmite!!
and marmite toastie can be found on calorie count.

So Cookiecrumb if you read this just let me know if I need me to bring you another jar or squeezy pot when I next visit Sam!!

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At 21/6/07 11:04, Blogger headless chicken said...

I love marmite - ate loads when I was pregnant with Smiler and now he likes it too but obviously I have to ration how much I give him - very salty! I also like peanut butter but not with marmite! K's brother lives in Spain and he loves peanut butter but struggles to find it there so when he comes to the UK he buys loads and returns home with a stash of it!

 
At 21/6/07 11:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's unAustralian, but I prefer Marmite over Vegemite, and not just because I get if for free as I have a friend who is a production manager at Sanitarium Foods (the makers of Marmite in Oz).

 
At 21/6/07 15:32, Blogger Sam said...

Beccy sent me the Paul Hartley book for Christmas so I shall try and remember to lend it to Cookiecrumb

 
At 21/6/07 15:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John G sent me here. (I'll get him for that!).

I love Marmite, it's great for spreading in the hedge to stop the schoolkids from jumping through it and damaging it. They get it all over their clothes and it's practically impossible to remove! It's far better than old axle-grease and sump oil; but it doesn't taste as nice as old axle-grease though........

 
At 21/6/07 16:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

HC marmite would win everytime for me as I'm not a fan peanut of butter.

WT lucky you now how can I get a friend like that!! - did they sell the guinness marmite in OZ?

sam are there any good recipes in it?

 
At 21/6/07 16:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

keith LOL -that's sacrilege to us marmite lovers!!! I'm sure you can think of ways to make him pay!!!

 
At 21/6/07 18:04, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm off, 'orrible stuff. And ignore Keith, he's mad!

 
At 21/6/07 22:25, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Eeeee!
How cool is this? Very.
Thanks, Chris, for the links. (And for my 15 minutes of fame. Well, one minute.)
xo

 
At 21/6/07 22:29, Blogger Unknown said...

I loathe marmite on toast, but I could totally use to season my cooking!

 
At 21/6/07 22:35, Blogger ChrisB said...

tiger lamb girl thats spooky I was just leaving a comment on your blog!!

 
At 21/6/07 22:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC but remember you surprised me earlier in the week and I get all excited when I get a mention as it doesn't happen that often except by my dear daughters.

john "you are awful but I like you" OK which comdedian used to say this -and without googling!!

 
At 22/6/07 01:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tasted Marmite, but I have tasted Vegemite...not to be rude, but AARRGGH ! I guess it's a taste one must learn to love.

We have Marmots here in Colorado. They are cute little creatures. Don't think there's any relation.

 
At 22/6/07 02:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without googling, I'd say Dick Emery.

And no, I haven't seem the Guiness Marmite.

 
At 22/6/07 03:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the Marmite. At all. I was given some and dared to eat it... I can still taste it, and it was months ago.

I'm weak. I know.

 
At 22/6/07 05:55, Blogger Sidetracked Home Executive said...

Gotta love the Marmite for it's salty goodness. How do you eat it with crisps though Chris?? Salt overload!!

 
At 22/6/07 06:45, Blogger my4kids said...

Still never had marmite. I don't think I've even seen it at the stores here. I suppose I will have to look next time I go to the grocery store.

 
At 22/6/07 06:56, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Ahhh computer fixed and back... to Marmite Recipe books?? I would shudder except I've seen similar things over the years with Vegemite (oh yum yum). Sounds like it would rather scary if you ask me.

 
At 22/6/07 08:51, Blogger ChrisB said...

swampy and marne that's OK- I don't want to convert everyone all the more for us lovers!!

willowtree no prize, sorry!

sam I'm sooo with you there but haven't treated myself to that for simply ages.

my4kids I've just got to send you a little pot so you can decide if you are a lover or hater- so if you let me have your address I'll try and do it before I go away next week.

little miss moi so glad you are up and running; now vegemite is a no- no for me mind you if I ever couldn't get marmite I would have to convert!!

 
At 22/6/07 16:54, Blogger my4kids said...

Chrisb that sounds awesome I'd love to try it at least! I will email you my address when I get home this evening.

 
At 25/6/07 21:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now a lover, thanks to you Chris, and the jar in my secret swap!
You could always stop here first on your way to visit Sam, you know, and lighten your load (any Guiness marmite left? I love Guiness, too!)

 
At 25/6/07 23:03, Blogger ChrisB said...

lisa as it happens I still have a couple of jars left but I think embee is hoping I won't part with them!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home