Sunday, July 15, 2007

Butterfly Conservatory Niagara

This is just a quick post as I have a very busy day getting ready for special visitors who arrive tomorrow. No prizes for guessing who is coming to stay!!

The Butterfly Conservatory is a fascinating place to visit. Inside the dome you are surrounded by many really beautiful butterflies. Although you are asked not to touch them they settle on the visitors and there are feeding plates around the dome so you are able to get a really close look. Taking photos is not always so easy -just as you think you have a good shot off they fly. They have lovely names such as Zebra Long Wing, Blue/white Morpho, Red Postman, Giant Swallowtail to name a few in the collage. The picture of the incubation chamber is not that clear but it was interesting to see.
 
Posted by Picasa

The grounds are beautiful and the flowers are chosen to encourage the butterflies. There are vegetable plots and an enclosed garden all well worth a visit. As we were looking at the vegetables I suddenly heard a peacock and we found this lonely guy in a cage. It would have been nice to see his tail spread but he clearly didn't feel like struting his stuff for us!!
Close by is the Floral clock and we just stopped off to take a photo.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 15/7/07 13:55, Blogger Beccy said...

Poor peacock, I don't think they can fly so I wonder why he was caged?

 
At 15/7/07 14:41, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's a nice place: certainly worth a visit. One of the very good things about The Falls.

 
At 15/7/07 15:38, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Beautiful photos!! We have a Butterfly Park here in Singapore and it's just the coolest place!

 
At 15/7/07 16:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy they can fly usually just up to perch- can you remember the ones at the place we used to visit near Padstow ?

AC I think I could easily have spent longer here looking around the gardens.

la bellina mammina I would love to visit Singapore- my uncle who is now 80 had a government job there back in the 50's and he spent many years there. I remember as a 12 yr old being enthralled with the stories he told. They had to leave when all the trouble started. He and his wife made many friends there and they still goes back to visit on route to visit one of their daughters in New Zealand.

 
At 15/7/07 17:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, again!
Hope you have a good visit with Beccy and Ben.

 
At 15/7/07 17:36, Blogger FH said...

How beautiful!:)
Happy belated birthday to Fred.

 
At 15/7/07 19:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

lisa I have been busy baking Ben's favourite lemon cake so he'll be pleased.

asha As I'm not a good photographer the colours are not as bright as in real life. The blue butterfly was a far more rich colour.

 
At 15/7/07 19:18, Blogger my4kids said...

We have a butterfly exhibit here at our zoo. I wonder why the peacock was in a cage also? The places that have them here just let them run free. They can be awful noisy at times though. My aunt used to rais them

 
At 15/7/07 19:19, Blogger Beccy said...

I know they fly to perch but they don't escape which is why it would be nice to let him roam.

I remember the peacocks eating Dillon and Mollie's marmite sandwich in Cornwall.

 
At 15/7/07 19:25, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy that's what I remember but I can't think of the name of the place.

terri we were surprised to see this one in a cage, no wonder it seemed so miserable.

 
At 15/7/07 22:03, Blogger Pamela said...

we went to a butterfly garden -- and discovered if you wore bright green they were very attracted to you.

 
At 15/7/07 22:16, Blogger ChrisB said...

pamela that's really interesting- but these weren't that particular they seemed to be landing randomly.

 
At 16/7/07 03:36, Blogger AfKaP said...

Beccy - They seem to fly to get away too. Ask Mindy about the ahem blue jay she saw sitting on her neighbor's roof!

Chris B - Lovely images - looks like we were both "in a hurry, but..." For me it was one of those - just one more minute days - the blog took way longer than I intended but I knew I oculd never write about botht the art museum and the play, so I chose the easier topic!

 
At 16/7/07 03:40, Blogger Molly said...

I love the butterfly pictures. I remember the floral clock from my trip to Niagara so many years ago. I am glad to see that the clock is still there.

 
At 16/7/07 09:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a though, what do Peacocks eat? Wouldn't be butterflies would it? Love

 
At 17/7/07 06:06, Blogger Steffi said...

Very beautiful butterfly pictures!I like it!

 
At 17/7/07 20:08, Blogger ~ej said...

my daughter would love those butterflies, she points them all out to us now. there's a butterfly house in the aquarium in NJ. seeing these photos makes me realise i must take her to see them!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home