Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Witty Wednesday # 14



1943 Guide to Hiring Women

The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine.

This was serious and written for male supervisors of women in the workforce during World War II, a mere 63 years ago!
Obviously, the intent was not to be "funny," but by today's standards, this is hilarious!

For those of you with efficiency issues, pay attention to #8 !

Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees:

There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage. Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:

1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones that have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls, those who are just a little on the heavy side, are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination, one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but also reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses that would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

5. Stress at the outset the importance of time; the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.

6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule ! of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do.Never ridicule a woman, it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women.Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.

11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.

This sums up what has happened to our society more concisely than anything else I have seen.........

In the year 2007, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in England and said, "Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me. Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans."

He gave Noah the CAD drawings, saying, "You have 6 months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard but no Ark. "Noah!" He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark ?" "Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed. I needed Building Regulations Approval. I've been arguing with the Fire Brigade about the need for a sprinkler system. My neighbours claim that I should have obtained planning permission for building the Ark in my garden because it is development of the site even though in my view it is a temporary structure. We had to go to appeal to the Secretary of State for a decision.

Then the Department of Transport demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it. Getting the wood was another problem.

All the decent trees have Tree Preservation Orders on them and we live in a Site of Special Scientific Interest set up in order to protect the spotted owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go! When I started gathering the animals, the RSPCA sued me. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodation was too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.

Then the County Council, the Environment Agency and the Rivers Authority ruled that I could not build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood. I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission on how many MBAs I'm supposed to hire for my building team. The trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only unionised workers with Ark-building credentials.

To make matters worse, Customs and Excise seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species. So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark."

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky. Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"

"No," said the Lord. "The government beat me to it."


Have a happy day- I'm meeting a friend for lunch.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 25/7/07 09:31, Blogger Beccy said...

I can't believe that was written about women only 63 years ago, thankfully times have changed.

 
At 25/7/07 10:01, Blogger willowtree said...

Ahh, I yearn for the good old days, when life was simple and women new their place.

All you had to do back then was make sure they had sufficient water and shelter, oh wait sorry, wrong huskies.

 
At 25/7/07 10:19, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy I wonder what will be written about your generation!

WT you are treating on dangerous ground!! :)

 
At 25/7/07 12:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think those things are funny about women 'long ago', especially since women have been really controlling most men for centuries!
I think the second one is sadly, true. Just insert whatever government or country you live in!
Thanks for the laughs, Chris.

 
At 25/7/07 13:57, Blogger FH said...

LOL @ #3!! I agree that plump women are lot happier than skinny ones!!

 
At 25/7/07 16:49, Blogger Unknown said...

Ha,ha, That second one is sooo true.

What's the matter with the first one?
*ducks* LMAO!

 
At 25/7/07 17:01, Blogger my4kids said...

I think WT and john.g. are both treading on dangerous ground here!

hmmm I kind of like #8 a little...extra breaks is how I read it.

I think #9 should be the rule for both men and women.

The second one is just too true and sad unfortunatly.

 
At 25/7/07 17:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a lovely lunch!

 
At 25/7/07 19:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

Lisa you are so right !!

Asha I do agree to a certain extent but I think I might be a bit happier if I was just a thinner!!

john now remember I'm an older woman so what are you saying !!

My4kids I hadn't thought of 8 in that way- so whoever wrote this was not so clever!!

Nikki It was great catching up with my friend; we went for an English pub lunch, food wasn't too bad.

 
At 25/7/07 20:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They weren't all bad-
I could use a few rest periods through out my day.

 
At 25/7/07 20:38, Blogger Beckie said...

The Noah story was just too close to true....

I hope you had a wonderful lunch!

 
At 25/7/07 21:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK - Times have changed...or have they?

Enjoy your lunch!!


(ps - somewhere I have an old essay written in the late 1800's from an "educated" woman for the newly married bride - how to "please" your husband but avoid too much of it. I need to find it and post it)

 
At 25/7/07 21:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that first one was hilarious, chris. "husky" women indeed.

 
At 25/7/07 23:13, Blogger headless chicken said...

Love the 1943 Guide...it made me laugh loads!!...I found no.2 hilarious!:)

 
At 26/7/07 04:18, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Great post! Thanks!

 
At 26/7/07 07:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

bethany that's a plus of course!

beckie I'm all talked out!!!

karmyn I think that would make a good post!!

enidd I'm definitely 'husky'

headless chicken- ah you're back I must come over and see if you've posted. I have been thinking about you and wondering how the floods have affected you!!

la bellina mammina I always think we need to brighten up the middle of the week :)

 
At 27/7/07 00:07, Blogger AfKaP said...

Who knew hygiene was such a problem for thr transportation department. Not this cantankerous, but even tempered person!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home