Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Catching up

A year ago I wrote a post titled 'Manic Monday's' I can't exactly remember what I wrote about but I felt yesterday was bit manic as I had quite a lot to do including picking up Sam's partner, Fred, from the airport at 5:15pm. His flight from Paris was a bit delayed so it was closer to 6pm by the time we left the airport. On the way home we discovered a new deli Taste, I wouldn't drive across town to shop there but I would use it whenever I happen to pass that way. Once we got home it was straight into the kitchen for Sam, who cooked us another lovely dinner (I did help quite a lot~ I don't want you to think I just sit back and let her do everything!) Unfortunately I didn't take any photos but it was belly of pork seasoned with lemon, herbs and garlic and served with apple sauce.

Today Sam and Fred hired a car and they have gone off to Cornwall for a couple of nights. They are going to have dinner here and I'm just a teensy-weensy bit jealous. I just hope the weather stays reasonable because a couple of hours after they left we had a horrendous storm and Sam hasn't driven in England for quite a few years, let alone in heavy rain, but I know she'll be OK.

Another reason I'm very late posting today is that I've been catching up on reading and saving all the recipes I want to try from yesterday's Fun Monday posts. I now have plenty of new ideas to keep me going for a while.

Just in case you are interested to see what we ate for dinner on Sunday here is our menu:
Most of the ingredients were sourced locally. I'm leaving all the detail to Sam when she gets her post up.

*Green fried Tomatoes with a red pepper dressing
*Venison cooked with port and redcurrents
*Vegetables savoy cabbage cooked with bacon and spices and a little stock.
*Potatoes were a version of lyonnaise with cream and garlic.
*Cheese course - two different types of cheese and home made chutney.
*Apple fool made with home made custard.

I should first explain that although it looks a lot of food, it was a very leisurely meal that took all afternoon and we were not left feeling too stuffed. We enjoyed this English wine produced at Sedlescombe Organic Vineyard where the first organic wine was produced as far back as 1982. We also had several bottles of red wine.
I forgot to take any photos until we got to the cheese course. The only downside was clearing up the kitchen afterwards!!

Archives:
September 25th 2006: Manic Mondays

15 Comments:

At 25/9/07 18:57, Blogger FH said...

Looking at all the yummy goodies on the table,I am sure cleaning up was hard!:D
Enjoy the family Chris.

 
At 25/9/07 20:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope one of my children turns into a really good cook!!! (and comes home to visit very often)

 
At 25/9/07 21:00, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounded yummy!!

 
At 25/9/07 21:17, Blogger frannie said...

what a lovely meal!

hope sam and fred have a nice time in cornwall

 
At 25/9/07 21:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delicious meal!

I'd posted earlier this morning, but blogger ate it.

My husband loves green fried tomatoes. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to have to try this one.

Hope Sam and Fred have a wonderful time in Cornwall.

 
At 26/9/07 02:03, Blogger theotherbear said...

Ah that sounds sooo good!

 
At 26/9/07 07:05, Blogger my4kids said...

Hope Sam and Fred have a great time in Cornwall and I'm sure she was fine driving!
The food looked pretty good and sounds so also. I don't know what some of that is though, never heard of it.

 
At 26/9/07 07:25, Blogger Pamela said...

wow!!! I was 50% correct.
You should have shared some (especially the custard) with me just because I guessed so "good."

 
At 26/9/07 08:39, Blogger Beccy said...

Even more jealous!

 
At 26/9/07 08:58, Blogger Steffi said...

`Very nice family meal!I wish Sam and Fred a nice time in Cornwall and I wish I can be there too!

 
At 26/9/07 09:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

asha it's never so much fun cleaning up but I didn't really mind.

karmyn Sam loves cooking and has done ever since she was young - I used to let her experiment in the kitchen (I was a lazy cook if truth be told and I didn't need to bake if she was happy to do it!)

frannie I'm keeping my finger x'd they have decent weather!

christine this was the first time I've had fried green toms and I quite liked them.

my4kids when Sam finally gets her post up you will have to read about the meal in detail.

pamela that custard was so delicious but would I have the patience to make my own... jury is out on that one!!

steffi it might be a little bit cold in Cornwall at this time of the year but it is still a lovely place to visit.

 
At 26/9/07 14:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am more than a teensy bit jealous of where they will eat!
My friend introduced me to the cheese course and I love it! We Americans are used to having it as an hors d'eorve (sp.)
Looks like it was a wonderful, leisurely meal.

 
At 28/9/07 12:59, Blogger Sam said...

mum - it was more than simply two different types of cheese - it was "welsh rarebit" made with English ale and fresh sage and ducks egg and two cheeses from Bath!

 
At 28/9/07 23:09, Blogger ChrisB said...

samantha breach I did not elaborate on what we ate as I was waiting for you to complete your post and I'm sure you will explain it a lot more succinctly than I can!

 
At 2/10/07 21:09, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL (at your recent comments sam and chris!).

That meal sounds really lovely!! I hope Sam enjoys Cornwall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home