Saturday, September 29, 2007

Michaelmas Day

Michaelmas Day is traditionally the last day of harvest and St Michael's Feast Day. By pure coincidence we enjoyed a meal last night that would tie in with this feast where goose is the traditional food.
We started with Foie Gras. We have been saving this since Beccy brought it back from her trip to France back in June. I don't recall ever trying it before but I have to say it was delicious. I do worry about the ethics of rearing geese but I guess it's the same for a lot of our food as Sam pointed out to me. So I might just be converted!!
This was roasted free range chicken I bought at another local market and Sam made a wonderful bread salad to go with it. She made up the recipe as she went along based on one she has used before. I can tell you it tasted pretty good. Now all I have to do is remember exactly what she did so that I can reproduce it!!
Of course we had a bottle of champagne to help the chef in the preparations and then a bottle of Gewursztraminer.
I'm really not turning into a food blog but with Sam staying I'm making the most of her culinary skills.


Archives:
September 29th 2006: what-is-today

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 29/9/07 17:27, Blogger katy said...

all this food, it is just not fair! and what is Gewursztraminer?

 
At 29/9/07 17:59, Blogger Unknown said...

The champers looks a bit cloudy.

 
At 29/9/07 18:50, Blogger Beccy said...

Yet again I wish I'd been there.

 
At 29/9/07 20:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

her in doors its a rather nice white wine~ that looks rather cloudy in the picture!

john by the time I took this all the champers was drunk so that's my photography and playing around with the shot. I decided I was too tired to fiddle any longer I did realise it looked cloudy but it wasn't actually.I think I might have to change it (sam will no doubt pick me up on that when she sees it)!

beccy I think you would all like this.

 
At 29/9/07 22:12, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

When you get tired of her, would you send her over here to stay with me for a while?

 
At 29/9/07 22:59, Blogger Steffi said...

Your meal looks really delicious!Enjoy it and of course your bottle champagne!I wish I can be there too!
Have a nice weekend!

 
At 29/9/07 23:33, Blogger willowtree said...

Chris - Just to add a bit of detail, Gewursztraminer is a German reisling, or at least it is over here. Yumm that food looks brilliant!

 
At 30/9/07 06:31, Blogger my4kids said...

You have to stop bloging about food! It makes me want to eat!
Glad your enjoying your visit with Sam.

 
At 30/9/07 09:07, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC she cooks with so little effort I wish I could do the same. Mind there's a lot more washing up than I normally create but it's well worth it :) :)

steffi Sam is a superb cook as you can guess from the photos.

WT I was a bit lazy I should have added more detail- a variety of white grape esp. grown in the Alsace region;wine is typically med-dry,aromatic and with a spicy flavour. You'll have to visit San. Fran. and get an invite to 'chez sam' for dinner!!

My4kids yes all this food and alcohol is not doing my waist line any good at all!!!

 
At 30/9/07 18:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Michaelmas is one of those holidays that got lost over here. We don't celebrate it. But, I think we should - if I would get to drink some good wine. I like Gewursztraminers...they are on the sweet side, which I like.

 
At 3/10/07 06:12, Blogger Pamela said...

I couldn't eat goose liver. It's in my head... can't get over it.

 
At 3/10/07 10:05, Blogger sallywrites said...

At last............ I now know what Michaelmas is!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home