Thursday, September 27, 2007

When in Bath do as the Romans did!

I haven't told you about our trip to the Thermae Bath Spa which we did last week when Beccy was over to see Sam and Fred. I have been longing to visit the spa that is Britain's only natural thermal waters. The original Roman baths, served by three hot springs, have not been open for public use since 1978 when someone died of menigitis thought to have been contracted from natural bacteria in the water.
The new Spa is situated very close to the original Roman Baths and uses the same hot water springs. Here you can bathe in the warm, natural mineral-rich waters and choose from a range of spa treatments designed to ease the body and soothe the mind (well that's what the advertising blurb says!).

This is the entrance and shows you the lovely architecture of Bath's old buildings.
This is the old hot baths entrance.
In this picture you can just see the roof pool. It's brilliant to be out in the open in very warm water when the atmosphere is quite cool. There is a lovely view from the roof pool and I imagine it would look spectacular after dark seeing all the buildings lit up. We couldn't take photos but have a look at the link and there is a little video which shows you the the two baths and the aromatic steam rooms.
We just took the basic two hour session which costs £20 ($40) but it was really enjoyable and I would recommend it. You can hire robes and towels but we took our own as this would have increased the cost quite a lot. We were all surprised at how soft and smooth our skin felt afterwards and even my psoriasis felt much better (normally when I go swimming the high chlorine content of the pool leaves my skin itching and uncomfortable).

So all these years after the Romans were regularly bathing in Bath we have the opportunity to use the same water source how cool is that!!

Archives:
September 27th 2006: no link

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

At 27/9/07 14:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like it would be incredible, especially for a history geek like me!

 
At 27/9/07 14:32, Blogger FH said...

I have heard some stories about these baths!:D
Looks great, historic.Glad they are preserving it!:))

 
At 27/9/07 14:50, Blogger Sandy said...

Glad you had a good time - sounds wonderful!

 
At 27/9/07 15:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

Lisa the west country as we call htis area is just steeped in history so there would be masses of places for you to visit!

asha I think these Roman Baths are quite famous.

myanderings I enjoyed it so much I'm hoping to go back sometime.

 
At 27/9/07 16:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The architecture is lovely. We just don't have buildings like that here.

 
At 27/9/07 16:49, Blogger Beccy said...

Mmmm would love to go back.

 
At 27/9/07 17:04, Blogger katy said...

would love to do this, have been to Bath once and so enjoyed it, definately a place i intend to re visist

 
At 27/9/07 19:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful!!!

 
At 27/9/07 19:22, Blogger Beckie said...

It sounds very inviting - I could go for something like that right now!

 
At 27/9/07 19:54, Blogger frannie said...

that is very, very cool. I wish I could do something like that.

 
At 27/9/07 21:10, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds great! Is this the baths that made national news headlines by being over budget by squillions, and having to be re-tiled? If so, I'm glad they're finally working.

 
At 27/9/07 21:55, Blogger ChrisB said...

nikki imagine the whole cityfull of these wonderful old buildings.

beccy we'll have to go again when you're over next year.

her indoors then you'll have to come on to Bristol!

karmyn its relaxing but also envigorating which I know sounds a contradiction.

beckie I would join you.

frannie I would highly recommend the experience.

john you've got the right place. I think they used the wrong paint and yes it went way over budget and time. However all seems to hav ebeen sorted. It seems to be popular but was not too crowded when we went.

 
At 28/9/07 03:27, Blogger Robinella said...

That sounds really nice. I've always wondered about them. My friend has psoriasis and she underwent "light therapy" and it went away! Light therapy uses the same lights they use on babies with jaundice to simulate sunlight. My oldest had jaundice and spent 2 days at the children's hospital under the lamps.

 
At 28/9/07 04:26, Blogger theotherbear said...

That sounds really very cool.

 
At 28/9/07 09:54, Blogger Unknown said...

I keep meaning to visit Bath!! And haven't made it there yet (except for driving through it). Sounds like it was really interesting!

 
At 28/9/07 13:52, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is cool! I have bathed in hot springs once ... in the Rocky Mountains as dark was falling. It is warm memory ... so to speak.

 
At 28/9/07 17:38, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Seeing these pics brings back memories of when I was there in Oct 1998 for a wedding at the theater. Wonder if they still hold weddings still at the theater.

 
At 28/9/07 21:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a water person at all but this looks fantastic!

 
At 28/9/07 22:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

robinella my eldest grandson had jaundice and was under a light in an incubator for a few days. I must do some research about the light treatment for psoriasis so thanks for the info.

TLG I am sure you would like Bath.

AC now a hot spring in the Rockies I think that beats my experience any day.

LBM I'm not sure about the weddings but I would imagine they still do it.

joy it's so different from just going swimming that it's worth trying if you ever have the opportunity.

 
At 29/9/07 03:49, Blogger Pamela said...

That sounds lovely - but I have to tell you - I may never go in the water again after reading about Amoeba

 
At 29/9/07 07:02, Blogger my4kids said...

Sounds great to me also. I can't handle the water from the chlorine filled pools either.

 
At 29/9/07 14:48, Blogger Steffi said...

That´s sounds great to me.And I like such historic buildings.

 
At 29/9/07 20:37, Blogger ChrisB said...

pamela that is really scary, I had no idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home