Thursday, September 20, 2007

A year ago today and 365 posts later!

(copyright Sam breach)
It's hard to believe that I have been blogging for a year. When I looked back to my first post I had a good laugh, I was so naive. I had to get my daughter Sam to talk me through setting things up and then I took some very slow steps. This is my very first post Life Begins. I think Sam must have told me how to link to her post and then I had to learn how to upload a photo, I remember being so nervous but then thrilled when it worked a couple of posts down the line. It was really only Sam and Beccy who were reading what I had written and a few of Sam's readers who were kind enough to welcome me with nice comments.

The very first comment I received from outside the family was from Stephanie Dispensing Happines she said:
(Welcome to the world of blogging, Sam's Mum! Your daughter and her writing are a source of (pleasant) distraction for me, daily; I'm sure you'll get the hang of this quickly, and we'll all be here to cheer you on!)

Some of Sam's food blog friends, still visit Beccyand me regularly and they encourage me to expand my limited cooking skills (there's been plenty of debate about English food so we won't go there!!). Anyway I love trying the recipes I find on their blogs so thank you Barbara, Cookiecrumb's (with the gorgeous Bean Sprout) and Asha (who first commented after my halloween post, and has introduced me to a lot of Asian food and culture).

I never imagined that I would so quickly become addicted to my new hobby. Nor that it would also cause me such a lot of frustration when I didn't know how to do things like adding to my side bar, changing the colour of text and much more but I have fumbled my way through and I know a lot more now than I did then. Finding Sally and Enidd via Beccy broadened my horizons as they both write such clever, amusing posts.

By January of this year I was lurking on a lot of blogs sometimes commenting but mainly just enjoying. Wrongly, I assumed that if I made a comment and didn't get a reply, the person was trying to tell me they had no interest in what I had to say! In fact I now realise that is probably not the case, and if it is then I am less sensitive. I'm happy to leave comments without worrying as I find that recently I have not been able to respond to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to visit me and comment.

I think the event that really had a significant impact on my blogging was the introduction of Fun Monday- I tentatively joined in by showing the view from my front door and gradually a few Monday's later I found a host of new blogging buddies. I have experimented through the fun monday posts and learnt how to put together slide shows, albeit very amateurishly and joined in several swaps and quizes, currently Willowtree is providing lots of fun with his daily trivia(l) quiz. Many of you I feel I now know quite well and reading little snippets about your life and family is like dropping in on old friends to catch up and share in each others joys and the sorrows. I now have a very long list of buddies on bloglines and I can't read every post I want to in one day (that's why I sometimes leave comments in little batches). There are too many of you to mention individually but you know who you are and I ♥♥♥ you all.

PS. Earlier today I was so disappointed that I had to pass on the opportunity to meet up with Sally and so was Sam. Sally if you read this, I got back from the airport at 13:15 so I sincerely hope there will be a next time and this hasn't put you off calling me if you are this way (Beccy would have been green with envy if we had met up and Sam said I should have suggested you come and have coffeee with her, then I would have been green and I actually didn't think of that!)
I wonder if we will all be blogging a year from now!!
Archives:
September 20th 2006: Life Begins

Labels:

36 Comments:

At 20/9/07 16:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

 
At 20/9/07 16:42, Blogger Beccy said...

Happy anniversary mum.

BTW mother I never get green!!!

 
At 20/9/07 16:45, Blogger Sam said...

so happy to be able to celebrate your blogiversary with you in person - does this mean we can have more champagne later?

 
At 20/9/07 16:52, Blogger Yvonne said...

Happy anniversary!

 
At 20/9/07 17:13, Blogger FH said...

Oh my!! 365 posts in ayear ie a post everyday!! That is a great achievement!!:))
Happy first anniversary Chris, always a pleasure to come here and be entertained, laugh and learn! Wish you many more anniversaries!:))

 
At 20/9/07 18:30, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy blogday! It's been a joy to read your blog!

 
At 20/9/07 18:57, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Happy BirthBlogDay.

 
At 20/9/07 18:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy blog birthday;) amazing how many neat people we met on the net isn't it;)

 
At 20/9/07 19:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday! It is amazing how many wonderful friends you do make. You have a lovely family, and like I told beccy, I think that's great you can blog as a family and keep in touch!
Congratsulations!

 
At 20/9/07 19:22, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday bloggy!!! My first year I didn't have an entry for each day so you have been way more dedicated than I was. :) That is an accomplishment 365 days AND 365 posts!

HAPPY BLOG BIRTHDAY!!

 
At 20/9/07 19:32, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy Blog birthday to you!I enjoy always to reading and visting your blog and Beccy´s too!It´s good to know you ;O)!Congrats!

 
At 20/9/07 19:37, Blogger katy said...

happy blogaversary and wow 365 posts well done you, and you have so progressed i still dont know how do to lots of things, i tend to just type and put photos in and thats my limit!

 
At 20/9/07 20:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. I don't know what I would do without my Witty Wednesdays!

 
At 20/9/07 20:52, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Astounding!
Congratulations. You started out so cute, and now you're this big, worldwide force to reckon with. I'm almost scared to leave comments here now, there are so many.
But I always read. And then I go tell Cranky whatever clever jokes you posted. :-)
Bean Sprout wishes you a Happy Blogiversary, too.
xx

 
At 20/9/07 21:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary ! So glad we have met and hope to continue our blog friendship.
Love visiting here.
Kath :)

 
At 20/9/07 22:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

THANK YOU FOR COMING TO MY PARTY.

wolfbaby many friends are made through fun monday.

Christine me I'm nosey I like to know what the family are doing but I bet I'm not told everything!!

lisa's chaos it's surprising how a few vacations can help you quickly fill a week or two!!

mark, steffi, john, asha, hellojed and AC thank you for the good wishes

Nikki -do you know I originally only intended to run with Witty Weds for about a month but it's become mid week staple!

her in doors I couldn't believe I had done so many. It's actually quite a few more if I counted my photoblog. Some days I did more than one post which seems to have made up for the times I missed when I've been away.

CC I'm still the same little me: I'm hoping BS can deliver his own x soon!!

swampy keep pointing that broomstick this way I'm planning on being around for a long time yet :)

 
At 20/9/07 23:02, Blogger Emma in Canada said...

Well I for one hope you are still blogging in a year. And as a total aside the other day on Canada AM they were showing a you tube clip of a rather large group of British pensioners who have are preforming some song. Do you have any idea what I am talking about?

 
At 20/9/07 23:34, Blogger Unknown said...

Did someone say Champagne?!

Happy Blogoversary Chris:)! It's been a pleasure reading your blog and getting to know you. Long may the blogging last!

 
At 20/9/07 23:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary Chris!

I was wondering how come I seemed to be reading a new post from you every day, now I know!

 
At 20/9/07 23:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

TLG I think we've downed a bit too much this week!!

WT I hope you went back to see my reply to your comment on Tues book swap post!!

 
At 20/9/07 23:56, Blogger ChrisB said...

emma I vagely recall hearing something on TV but I can't remember the detail.

 
At 21/9/07 03:55, Blogger frannie said...

happy blogiversary!!!!

 
At 21/9/07 04:39, Blogger my4kids said...

Happy Blogiversary!! I totally spaced on mine which was actually in may even though I didn't really get out to having people read mine until about last January. I'm glad you found me (or did I find you, can't remember) way back when and hope to continue to see you for more years to come. I sure plan to keep it up as long as possible here.

 
At 21/9/07 14:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary, chris, and please keep on writing. enidd loves to read you, even if she hasn't always found time to comment these days. it's a full-time job, this blogging!

 
At 21/9/07 14:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!
I can't believe it's been less than a year since I started reading you, seems like so much longer (but in a good way!)
Sam really has amazing photography skills.

 
At 21/9/07 15:17, Blogger Kaytabug said...

Happy Blog Birthday!!! Here's to many many more!!!

 
At 21/9/07 15:49, Blogger Pamela said...

a one day late and a dollar short
....
I blog when I can. I'm always late for work


Happy blogisversary and I'm so happy that we met.

(I'm headed off on a long weekend trip across state... 7 hours of driving one way... so I won't be back until monday)

 
At 21/9/07 17:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bloggiversary, Chris!!! (a day late too, I apologize - yesterday was too busy for me to get to blogs)

I am so glad we've "met" - some day when I get to England I am giving you a call!! (I especially want to meet your tortoises - isn't that silly?)

 
At 21/9/07 19:33, Blogger ChrisB said...

frannie, thanks

terri which ever way round we found each other it would have been via beccy!

enidd hope you are OK I have been too busy this week to visit many blogs and the ones I have read I have not managed to leave comments.

lisa I did take my own photos but Sam's were much better so she chose these. She has actually shown me how to improve the light so maybe I'll get photography lessons as well as cooking!!

katabug I just hope I don't run dry!!

pamela I would never have had time to blog when I worked so I am amazed at all you who so successfully manage both.

karmyn I'm thrilled anyone would want to meet my tortoises. Mind you, they would expect you to stop and pick them 'dandelions' which they love!!

 
At 21/9/07 21:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary. The first years just flies by, heh? Gad you're enjoying it.

 
At 21/9/07 21:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thanks Debbie the trouble is it means I'm also a year older!!!

 
At 22/9/07 16:49, Blogger AfKaP said...

Congratulations, Chris and with over 18,000 hits you can feel content that you are a popular blogger! Good job!

 
At 22/9/07 17:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

PW I'm glad to see you must be feeling better if you are doing a little blogging :)

 
At 23/9/07 11:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Birthday! from another Mother Blogger.

We share a Birthday. My first post was on the same day. My daughter got me started. I think it was an excuse to find out what I get up to.

 
At 23/9/07 15:47, Blogger sallywrites said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY CHRIS!!!

And thank you for the lovely comment!!

 
At 23/9/07 19:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

Hi grannymar how lovely of you to drop by and it's great that we share a 'birthday' ahh I see you didn't leave a link but I shall try and track you down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home