Friday, October 19, 2007

An Autumn Walk

I have been trying on and off all day to upload these photos that I took when I went on my Fungi Forage earlier in the week. These are general views of the area rather than of the actual fungi that we managed to find. I am going on another walk in a couple of weeks and I am hoping for some better photos.
It is quite encouraging to know that they have manged to retain some of the natural beauty of the area alongside the vast sprawl of houses that have been built on much of the land over the past 25 years. Although you can hear the traffic from the motorway and the hustle and bustle from the schools and houses it still feels like another world once you are in the woods. There was a quiet peacefulness that reminded me of my childhood growing up in the country as we walked along an area known as Three Brooks after cutting through Webbs Wood. There were a few people about walking dogs and mothers with toddlers out for a stroll in the afternoon sunshine. We actually didn't walk that far in the two hours we were out as we stopped to look at trees and learn about the different fungi we found. We returned along the edge of Savages Wood.

Webbs Wood is ancient woodland and Savages Wood was originally the boundary between two local parishes. There are several brooks and small lakes where you can see a lot of birds. It is still quite green but some of the bushes have lovely red berries. There is even a relic from the days the land was farmed. I think it might be a plough but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!









I'm now looking forward to my next walk in Warmley Forest Park on October 31st, that is provided it's not raining. I'm a fine weather walker!!

Archives:
October 19th 2006: No archive

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

At 19/10/07 18:36, Blogger FH said...

What a nice place to walk. We don't even have a good park around for kids to play, they keep building matchbox houses!
Enjoy, have a great weekend Chris:))

 
At 19/10/07 18:40, Blogger ChrisB said...

Asha You should see the houses that have been built near here. Thousands of them it's actually created a mini town or huge suburb which ever you care to call it, shops, schools, nurseries, health centres etc.

 
At 19/10/07 19:40, Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely wood. I used to love walks like that with my old black labrador! It is a plough, but I can't remember which sort.

 
At 19/10/07 20:24, Blogger Sabrina said...

What an inspiration to get outside! So beautiful!! We're finally having a cooler day over here and I can't wait for the weekend!!

 
At 19/10/07 20:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about being a fine weather walker. :) I'm surprised your leaves haven't even started changing yet, it will be an even more beautiful walk when they do!

 
At 19/10/07 20:54, Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

How pretty! I bet it is so gorgeous when the leaves start changing.

That thing looks like some kind of plow to me.

 
At 19/10/07 21:08, Blogger katy said...

thats a mighty pretty walk, me and mr milo would love it, great photos

 
At 19/10/07 21:23, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

To walk in the autumn woods is a fine thing.

 
At 19/10/07 22:15, Blogger Sam said...

since when were you a fine weather walker? You made play tennis even in the snow.

 
At 19/10/07 22:34, Blogger headless chicken said...

Beautiful....lovely photos. We love to walk in the forest with the kids when we get the chance. It's good for the soul!:)

 
At 19/10/07 22:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

john I'm glad I was right about the plough.

sabrina it's pretty cool here at night, we have been enjoying a little
late sunshine, but it does help the winter along.

susan I was surprised to still see so much green in the woods because in the gardens the trees are rapidly changing.

rachel and AC autumn is such a pretty season, I love it.

her indoors you and mr milo would love it.

sam it's different now I'm a wrinkly!!

headless chicken I can imagine it would be lovely over in the FoD at the moment.

 
At 20/10/07 00:25, Blogger Molly said...

Fall is the best time for walks. I love walking on warm fall days after a freeze, which will kill the pesky mosquitoes. Your pictures are great. I would love to see your fungus pictures if you take some. I am fascinated by mushrooms.

 
At 20/10/07 06:41, Blogger Pamela said...

looks like a "harrow".... vintage style anyway.

My dad ate poisonous mushrooms when he misidentified them. He got sick and he drenched in sweat - and then his arthritis disappeared for 18 months.

 
At 20/10/07 08:16, Blogger ChrisB said...

mjd I will definitely be doing a 'fungus' post after the next walk.

pamela I was amazed at the number of fungi that can be eaten. I'm not sure that I would really want to try some of them myself!

 
At 20/10/07 09:25, Blogger Beccy said...

Mum, you must try the fungi especially if you know it's safe.

I agree with Sam, we went out whatever the weather.

 
At 20/10/07 12:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go for a walk NOW!

Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 21/10/07 01:02, Blogger theotherbear said...

what a great walk! I'd love to live near the bush.

 
At 21/10/07 02:50, Blogger frannie said...

what a peaceful and beautiful place... makes me wish I were there now

 
At 21/10/07 18:19, Blogger ~ej said...

looks like such a nice place for a walk, hope the one later this month is just as nice weather-wise too!!
we walked around the local college last weekend, but spent the bulk of this one around the house (blah, working on church paperwork).

 
At 21/10/07 20:31, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy I'll think about trying some after the next walk. We did go out in all weathers but I must be getting old now!

 
At 22/10/07 09:20, Blogger my4kids said...

Those are some pretty places to walk and the history would make them even better. I am a history buff when it comes to scenery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home