Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Special Friendship

Sheena was a wife, a mother of two boys, a daughter, a sister, a daughter-in-law and a special friend to my daughter Sam.


Back in May on Livestrong day I asked you to say a prayer for Sam's friend Sheena.
Last Friday I got the call I was dreading to tell me that Sheena had passed away peacefully in her sleep during the night. It was not unexpected, we knew she had slipped into a coma, but it was still very upsetting to hear the words. I am pleased that Sam was able to see her friend one last time on her recent trip to England.

This little group of five have shared a friendship that had lasted since they were in Junior School together and became stronger when they went on to attend the same secondary school. They all lived within half a mile of each other so shared many leisure activities as they were growing up. As parents we shared transport to various guiding events and over the years there were a host of birthday parties. There was the time after their exams when they spent a week in a caravan, I worried myself sick but they had a great time and probably had no idea how worried we were back home. Beccy was always on the fringes of the group because she was younger and you might like to read what she has to say about the friendship. This was taken in 1984.

Sam and Sheena were particularly close, they went through a hippy phase together, long skirts, different hair styles, large hoop earrings, all part of developing independence and their own style. I remember the time they drove to Devon in Sam's first car a Morris Minor to go camping (1984). I don't think I slept a wink thinking of all the dangers that could befall two young girls alone and camping. Luckily we all survived and as far as I know nothing too disastrous happened. I'm sure they wouldn't have told us if it had. Although I like to think my children would confide in me, I'm sure I didn't know every thing that went on!! (and there were some things I knew but chose to ignore!)
After they left school they all went their separate ways to college and university but still managed to meet up occasionally. Back in 1992 Sheena stayed the night with us when Vicky got married.
A few years later they all brought their children to my house one time which was great fun.I think the last time all five were together was that Christmas when they all came here to see Sam on one of her visits home. I believe this is one of the last photos taken of these five friends together.
Sheena cared for the environment, she loved nature and she was devoted to her family. Today I go to help celebrate her life and say farewell but it will be tinged with sadness that she will not around to see her sons grow into the fine young men I know they will become due to her influences. She was a very special person to so many people and she will be greatly missed. Please think of Sheena's family today.
Archives:
OCTOBER 10th 2006: Apple Crumble

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

At 10/10/07 07:27, Blogger Sam said...

I am sitting here crying my heart out. I love you mum. I wish I could be with you at the funeral today. I sure need a big hug right now. Please send my love to everyone.

 
At 10/10/07 08:48, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I wish you were here xx

 
At 10/10/07 09:04, Blogger Beccy said...

I'm meant to be going out but having read this and Sam's post I can't see for the tears.

 
At 10/10/07 09:46, Blogger sallywrites said...

That was a fantastic post Chris. I read Beccy's post first. I am so sad for you all. I am thinking about Sheena's family.

 
At 10/10/07 10:47, Blogger Dea said...

Beautiful Chris. I read Beccy and Sam's too and it's such an incredible loss. I'll be thinking of you all today.

 
At 10/10/07 10:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful post, right from the heart.

I know none of you but will think of all of you today.

 
At 10/10/07 13:15, Blogger katy said...

beautiful tribute, thinking of you all and of Sheena's family today x

 
At 10/10/07 13:15, Blogger frannie said...

what a beautiful tribute... I can truly feel how much you and your family loved her. I know how special she was to you and how hard it is to lose someone that close to you.

my heart is with you all today.

 
At 10/10/07 13:38, Blogger FH said...

I am so sorry for your loss Chris, Sam and Beccy. She was a beauty.They have had wonderful time growing up.
Great tribute to her Chris.

 
At 10/10/07 14:00, Blogger Kerith Collins said...

those are great pics...i am having a hard time finishing the post due to sadness...i will think about her all day...

 
At 10/10/07 14:15, Blogger Steffi said...

Great pictures and a beautiful tribute.I'll be thinking of you all today.It must to be hard for her family,Beccy,Sam and you.I have tears in my eyes and I feel me sad now!

 
At 10/10/07 14:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now crying at work. I should not have read this when I saw the title.
I have been thinking of you all since reading Beccy's post.
You have all done such moving pieces, which I'm sure don't even touch the surface as to the amazing person Sheena must have been.

 
At 10/10/07 14:50, Blogger Amy W said...

Sorry for your loss.....

 
At 10/10/07 15:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry.

 
At 10/10/07 16:01, Blogger Unknown said...

Heck, Chris, you got me with tears rolling down my cheeks!!

 
At 10/10/07 16:10, Blogger Sandy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You and Sheena's family will be in my prayers.

 
At 10/10/07 17:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute. Such a sad day for everyone. I'm so sorry.

 
At 10/10/07 18:36, Blogger SJINCO said...

My heart is with you and your family during this tough time.

What a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10/10/07 19:04, Blogger Beckie said...

That is so sad.

Wonderful post.

 
At 10/10/07 20:11, Blogger muffintop said...

Beautifully done, Chris. I can see Sheena was well loved. I'm so sad for you all.

 
At 10/10/07 21:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to your friend. I didn't even know her personally, but from reading your and Beccy's post, I feel the loss like I did.

It's nice that you have all of the great photos to go along with your memories of her. That was she's always with you.

 
At 10/10/07 23:01, Blogger AfKaP said...

What wonderful pictures of a beautiful individual. Such a shining smile! It is indeed a lovely tribute. Leukemia is such a horrible disease!

 
At 11/10/07 02:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace.

 
At 12/10/07 06:47, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Dear Chris, a beautiful and touching tribute to your dear friend. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm praying for you all.

 
At 12/10/07 08:27, Blogger Pamela said...

awwww... a lovely post... lovely lady.. to young to die.

so sorry.

 
At 12/10/07 13:56, Blogger ~grey said...

what a beautiful tribute to a wonder friend!

 
At 13/10/07 05:27, Blogger Kaytabug said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You wrote a beautiful tribute,the pictures are priceless.
My heart goes out to Sheena's family and yours. HUGS!

 
At 13/10/07 20:31, Blogger my4kids said...

That was a beautiful tribute, I'm so sorry for your family and hers for having lost such a great person that she obviously was.

 
At 13/10/07 22:26, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

sheena's family and friends, especially you, sam, and beccy, are in my thoughts and prayers. it's never easy to lose someone so young.

 
At 15/10/07 17:38, Blogger wolfbaby said...

how very sad.. my thoughts and prayers are with youa ll

 
At 18/10/07 18:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a lovely post chris, so sad to see all those photos, so young and happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home