Thursday, January 31, 2008

Meeting Michael Jeneid....

Following on from yesterday's post.....

After paddling we walked along the beach and as I'm very nosy interested I wanted to get a close up look at one of the beach houses I could see in the distance.
As we got closer to the house I stopped to take some photos of Sam and Fred and suddenly this guy came striding along the beach with ski poles. He stopped and kindly offered to take a photo of the three of us. From his accent (well actually lack of it) I knew he was English and we got chatting. He explained he lives here on the beach and began to tell us about his life~ he did like to talk about himself but he has actually led an interesting life and I was quite fascinated. He started birdwatching as a young lad and kayaking as a teenager. Later he joined the Royal Marines and learned to cross country ski. He has travelled in many countries and written numerous books about birds, kayaking and cross country skiing. He now organises small group trips of birdwatching by kayak, and he lectures and runs workshops on these topics. As we said our goodbyes I asked his name as I wanted to check him out, so if you want to find out more about Michael Jeneid look here
As we left Stinson and climbed up out of the valley Sam stopped the car for me to take one last look and a couple of photos.


Archives:
2007: I felt like the Ambassador's Guest

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At 1/2/08 12:48, Blogger Beccy said...

Michael sounds like he's led a really interesting life. I read his web page and it took him six weeks to canoe to paris to see his girlfriend but she'd left!

 
At 1/2/08 13:04, Blogger Steffi said...

Very interesting post,Chris and your pictures are really beautiful to see!I will look on his website too.

 
At 1/2/08 13:44, Blogger FH said...

He is strapping handsome guy!!

Photos ate beautiful, looks like a fun filled trip. Enjoy. We have Super Bowl this Sunday, got to get busy!:)

 
At 1/2/08 15:07, Blogger katy said...

I could so live in that beach house.
Michael looks a bit like John character in Lost!

 
At 1/2/08 15:43, Blogger Unknown said...

So he skis on the beach? Interesting. :) Sounds like a nice walk on the beach! Did you get to see the beachhouse a little closer?

 
At 1/2/08 16:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy he told about that trip~ he also told us bits about the marines and he's been in Alaska.

Asha enjoy the Super Bowl, I've just heard on the radio that 93 million people will tune in to watch! :)

Katy I must get into watching Lost. I only ever watched a few early episodes!

lisa marie I decided I had better not be too nosy in case the owners didn't like it. Although if you live on a beach I guess you would expect it!

 
At 1/2/08 17:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute - was that guy in the picture pulling your leg? OH - I'm getting confused, never mind...I thought the younger guy was Michael Jeneid. No no - that is your son-in-law. Sheesh, I"m losing it today.

okay - now that I feel completely foolish I have to say how cool to meet someone quasi-famous!

 
At 1/2/08 17:37, Blogger Alix said...

How interesting I love little snapshots of other people's lives especially when there as interesting as Michael's.
Lovely pictures too.

 
At 1/2/08 17:45, Blogger Sam said...

Oi everyone - hands off my Fred! You can all have Michael Jeneid instead.

 
At 1/2/08 20:10, Blogger Molly said...

Your beach pictures look wonderful on this cold snowy day. Birdwatching by kayak sounds like great fun.

 
At 1/2/08 20:27, Blogger Attie said...

I love your pics!! love that beach house..I'll probably never get outta Mn so it's wonderful to see whats out there!! to walk in the water this time of year and not freeze your tootsies!!

 
At 1/2/08 21:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great pictures...The beach looks heavenly right now. Right now we are at our high of the day at -12. I could go for some time at the beach and a lovely beach house!!

 
At 1/2/08 21:30, Blogger Barbara said...

I think Fred is more handsome. I typed that abefore I read Sam's comment. That bottam picture called almost be taken in the Bay Of Islands NZ.

 
At 1/2/08 23:16, Blogger ChrisB said...

karmyn actually at the time I did wonder if Michael was exaggerating but it seems not.

alix maybe he was hoping I would buy one of his books!

Jetti those photos were taken back at the end of Oct. and I don't somehow think its as warm now!

barbara I'm often amazed at how similar beaches are even when they are oceans apart!

 
At 2/2/08 01:45, Blogger willowtree said...

That's quite an interesting story. I have an almost identical one...I once met this guy who wrote some pretty funny stuff on toilet walls. Hmm now that I see it written down, it doesn't seem as impressive as I thought it would be.

 
At 2/2/08 06:41, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm following Willowtree. How can one follow one of his famous quips??

Heck.

I could say that in the previous post you have very nice legs. (:

 
At 2/2/08 11:47, Blogger kitten said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

 
At 3/2/08 14:25, Blogger Joy T. said...

Great to see a picture, you all look fantastic! I would have got one with the author though. He sounds so interesting.

 
At 3/2/08 14:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

Joy I should have made it clearer Michael is the guy in between Fred and me in the third photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home