Monday, February 18, 2008

Fun Monday # 54 Nothing to laugh about!



Sayre has kindly set this week's assignment she says..................

"Every day as I go to work, I see things around me that make me laugh. Usually these are in the forms of signs. So take your camera with you as you go about your business and take a picture of the things that make you laugh along the way (but it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a sign)".

I took my camera everywhere last week but do you think I saw anything remotely entertaining... zilch!! So come Sunday I was getting desperate and because I couldn't find anything really amusing.....I decided to go with an unusual street name! Embee got roped into driving me to photograph this..... the original sign used to like this....... It is a quiet lane and we walked down to see the rear of some quite large houses that back onto the lane............. no nothing funny!

So let me tell you the reason for this name...............Pitch and Pay Lane might sound a cheerful name reminiscent of children’s games, and fun. . . but it's true story would not have been funny to the people who lived in the area back then!!

The lane was once a little country road centuries before this part of Bristol was developed by rich Victorians.

The odd name recalls dark days when the old city of Bristol was often struck by plagues and epidemics. The City Docks were notoriously filthy and contagious diseases were rife for those living beside what was nothing less than an open sewer.

Bristol’s reputation for disease was so bad that country folk living around the town were always worried about dangers to their health. Whenever a new outbreak occurred, Gloucestershire farmers and smallholders refused to come near the place. They were only prepared to sell their produce at a safe distance from the unhealthy Bristol folk.

So, at this pre-arranged spot, they developed the practice of pitching their produce at the waiting, hungry Bristolians. . . while the citizens paid by throwing back the necessary cash. It was an early example of the quarantine principle - pitching, paying and preventing the spread of disease. Ha , I guess they didn't realise that germs would very likely be passed across on the money!!

******************************************************************************
One thing I did see when I was out was this notice, written in Polish.......... the literal translation, according to my google search is 'rooms until hire' which I found mildly amusing as we would say 'rooms to let'~ maybe that's why the place looked empty!!!

Sorry I couldn't follow the rules on this one, I bet tomorrow I will see something that would be a lot more entertaining!


Archives:
2007: Sugar Loaf

Labels:

43 Comments:

At 18/2/08 09:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story that goes with that sign, very interesting to know the history around where you live :)

 
At 18/2/08 09:45, Blogger Aoj and The Lurchers said...

That's fascinating! I love knowing the history behind interesting signs like that! I can't see the second picture though Chris.

 
At 18/2/08 10:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

Angela I'm not sure why the second picture won't load it coming up on mine (it was an old one I found on the internet of the old road sign!)

 
At 18/2/08 10:30, Blogger Celeste said...

An interesting piece of history. Interesting that they knew that the plague came from being close....but didn't realize that money could transmit (grin).

 
At 18/2/08 10:31, Blogger Secret Squirrel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 18/2/08 10:35, Blogger Secret Squirrel said...

The pictures(The 2 below the old sign) did not come up on my PUDAH either but then i right clicked the mouse and selected 'show picture' and up it came.....I Love pitch and pay although NOW it would be 'pay and pitch' or 'pitch now pay later'
xox eve xox
P.s.-thanks for your comments.Like you say-it feeds my addiction

 
At 18/2/08 11:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the story. It painted its own pictures.

All yours showed up for me!

 
At 18/2/08 12:05, Blogger Jientje said...

That's an interesting story!
That polish sign made me smile too!

 
At 18/2/08 13:12, Blogger Faye said...

I'm impressed that you were able to dig up the origins of the street name. Oh, I also had a look at your '03 escape photo on the sands--enticing

 
At 18/2/08 13:50, Blogger Sayre said...

Pitch and Pay would have a totally different meaning here in the land of Baseball. I was envisioning either a pitching arena or a toll road where you throw your money into a bin in order to drive on the road. Thanks for the story!

Perhaps that polish sign means they won't rent you a room until you have a job????

 
At 18/2/08 14:00, Blogger Peter said...

An interesting tale Chris, nowhere has more history than the UK.

 
At 18/2/08 14:20, Blogger Bren said...

Cool history behind the signs!

 
At 18/2/08 14:26, Blogger laurie said...

wow. the pitch and pay lane is fascinating. a lot of the fun mondays today are very funny, but so far i like yours the best!

i love those secret little stories of history...the really human stories.

 
At 18/2/08 14:41, Blogger Attie said...

I think You so followed the rules...Love the history lesson!!!! very interesting I say!!

 
At 18/2/08 14:45, Blogger FH said...

That is a funny name but not as funny as these towns in NC!

Cheeks, Climax! :D (True names!)

 
At 18/2/08 14:50, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Interesting story. You're right, I just thought it was a cute name!

Lisa

 
At 18/2/08 15:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation on the pitch and pay. That is very interesting. Have a fun Monday!

 
At 18/2/08 15:15, Blogger Jan said...

Wow, this has been a fun history lesson.

 
At 18/2/08 15:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't follow the rules either. I enjoyed hearing about the history of Pitch and pay.

 
At 18/2/08 15:43, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

What an interesting story! I read a book in my book club about plagues a few years ago and it was fascinating to me.

Your area of the world is so much more interesting than mine!

 
At 18/2/08 15:46, Blogger Alison said...

I love historical stories like that. It is wonderful that the name has stayed the same for all these years!! thanks for sharing!

 
At 18/2/08 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting story, chris!

 
At 18/2/08 15:51, Blogger the rotten correspondent said...

I like the history lesson with the photos. Very interesting.

I always find the absolute perfect thing for Fun Monday on...Tuesday. I don't know why that is.

 
At 18/2/08 15:53, Blogger Gattina said...

Your story is very interesting ! I couldn't follow the rules either, lol !

 
At 18/2/08 15:53, Blogger Beckie said...

That was a good story.

I didn't play this week because I never see anything funny (on signs) around here.

 
At 18/2/08 16:24, Blogger Sandy said...

Terrific post, Chris. I love learning new things and this is the very best way.

 
At 18/2/08 16:35, Blogger Kaytabug said...

I love the history lesson. So interesting. The last sign is funny.

I couldn't follow the rules either.

 
At 18/2/08 17:29, Blogger Melanie said...

Such an interesting story. Pinch and Pay did make me smile!

 
At 18/2/08 18:51, Blogger Patience-please said...

Oh I think this is my favorite Fun Monday this week, so far! What a fascinating bit of history and thank you so much for sharing it.

Patience

 
At 18/2/08 19:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just goes to show you sometimes there is method to the madness!

And isn't FM made for rules to be broken???

:)

 
At 18/2/08 19:21, Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

That was really interesting. Grim, but interesting, hee hee.

 
At 18/2/08 19:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if you played by the rules but I enjoyed my Bristol History Lesson! I've not been to Bristol, I must remedy that!

 
At 18/2/08 21:30, Blogger Linda said...

A picture AND a history lesson to boot! What more could you ask?

 
At 18/2/08 21:52, Blogger Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Love the story with those signs!

 
At 18/2/08 22:08, Blogger frannie said...

I was thinking the same thing about the money!! :)

 
At 18/2/08 23:18, Blogger Unknown said...

What a neat history lesson! I wonder how many were puzzled when they did fall ill. Yeah, soak that money before you touch it.

 
At 18/2/08 23:57, Blogger the planet of janet said...

interesting story behind that sign. when i first saw it, i thought it was a game or something -- a throwing game with coins, maybe.

the polish sign is also amusing!

isn't it the truth though that when you go LOOKING for something funny, it's never there!

 
At 19/2/08 00:08, Blogger Junebug said...

Very interesting history story. Thanks. I enjoyed it. :D

 
At 19/2/08 08:11, Blogger bichonpawz said...

I could see them ... very interesting post!

 
At 19/2/08 13:33, Blogger Steffi said...

That´s a very interesting post,Chris!

 
At 19/2/08 15:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS. I CANNOT RESPOND INDIVIDUALLY BUT I WANT YOU TO KNOW I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR VISITS :)

 
At 19/2/08 16:30, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

All those germy coins going back and forth!

 
At 20/2/08 22:56, Blogger Irish Coffeehouse said...

Great story behind the pics! Very interesting indeed!

Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home