Friday, February 22, 2008

Mango Bread


LiveSTRONG 2008 is on May 13th and the food and wine blogging community will again be supporting the day through an event called 'A taste of Yellow' more information can be found here over at my friend, Barbara's (winiosandfoodies).
A few days ago Barbara posted about Kats Mango Bread and it looked so good I decided to give it a try. Barbara was sensible and halved the mixture, I decided to make the full quantity so that I could freeze one. You will see the recipe is in 'cups' and I'm always a bit dubious when I cook this way. I put the mixture into two tins, but in hindsight I should actually have made that three, because it rose too much and one spilled over. I admit I realised this as I was putting the mixture in the pans but got a bit lazy.
Anyway the bread which really tastes more like a cake is, in my opinion, absolutely delicious.


MANGO BREAD

4c flour
4 tsp baking soda
4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 c sugar
1 1/2 c oil
6 eggs
1 c nuts chopped
1 c raisins
4 c mangoes, diced

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Let stand for 20 minutes
Pour into lined baking loaf pans
Bake at 350F (180C) for 45-60 minutes (time depends on size of pans)

Oh one more thing when I supported the Livestrong event last year I made lemon curd and I'm wondering what to make this year. It has to be yellow~ I have a couple of ideas but if you have any suggestions, please let me know???

Archives:
2007: Whose got brownie points

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At 22/2/08 12:34, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

The bread looks wonderful, and lemon curd is, to me, the ultimate sweet treat so I say go wth it!
(Love the flowers at the top, they give me hope for spring. We are having a snow storm right now.)

Lisa

 
At 22/2/08 13:27, Blogger kitten said...

Gosh, You got my mouth a watering! I just may have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 22/2/08 13:29, Blogger Alix said...

That looks so yummy Chris. Lemon curd is fabulous or any kind of homemade jam is good. If your wanting to do condiments Nigella has a yummy looking spiced peach thing in her new book - it looks so good I nearly made it!!!

 
At 22/2/08 13:38, Blogger FH said...

Mango bread looks heavenly Chris, beautiful. I have to cook something for this event too, something yellow.Have a wonderful weekend, see you next week!:)

 
At 22/2/08 14:55, Blogger Beccy said...

Surely this can be your entry as the mangoes are yellow?

 
At 22/2/08 15:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy no because I actually got this from barbara!

 
At 22/2/08 15:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks sooooo delicious! I need to make it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 
At 22/2/08 17:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks fab! Thanks for the recipe.

I love your new header photo, it's brilliant!

 
At 22/2/08 18:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CROCUS!!! Lovely.

and that bread - omg - pregnancy hormones just flared up. Craving bread badly. need to make it now. Must run to store to buy Mangos.

 
At 22/2/08 18:54, Blogger Secret Squirrel said...

Yummy...really that is all i can say,just YUMMY.

xox eve xox

 
At 22/2/08 20:14, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Wow that looks yummy! My boyfriend loves mango so I might just have to try and make this for him sometime.

 
At 22/2/08 20:35, Blogger Julie said...

Sounds interesting and yummy.

I also stopped over to say hi to Kinta.

 
At 22/2/08 22:23, Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks for the shout out Chris. I appreciate your support. It really is more cake than bread. I think it is probably a cultural thing as the recipe originates in Hawaii. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 
At 23/2/08 00:56, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that looks good! Love your crocus too!

 
At 23/2/08 02:13, Blogger Pamela said...

I love mangos. It's difficult to find them ripe... or set them to ripen and figure out the exact moment.

 
At 23/2/08 03:38, Blogger frannie said...

yumm!! that sounds so delicious!!

 
At 23/2/08 07:19, Blogger my4kids said...

That looks yummy. I put a spot on my side bar about Livestrong day this year. Don't forget you also are supposed to wear yellow!

 
At 23/2/08 19:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like dessert--so moist and appetizing. I know what you mean about getting lazy towards the end of making something, though. By then, you're just ready to be DONE with it!

 
At 24/2/08 23:15, Blogger Jennie said...

The mango bread looks gorgeous. Now I am going to have to make that as well (I still haven't made the carrot cake but I am determined I will!)

 
At 25/2/08 00:45, Blogger Kaytabug said...

That looks delish!! I will have to try it one day.

I love you new header!

What about a Lemon Meringue pie?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home