Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy St Georges Day on Witty Wednesday # 46

HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY


Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

As wrote William Shakespeare in (Henry V). By interesting coincidence, William Shakespeare, was not only born on 23rd April (1564) but also died on 23rd April (1616).

St George (famous for slaying the dragon which is probably just a myth) is the patron saint of England. He was a Roman soldier who protested against the Roman torture of Christians, and was killed for his beliefs.

I think it is rather sad that
  • Despite the fact that St. George has been the patron saint of England since the 14th century, only one in five people know that St. George’s Day falls on April 23rd.
  • More than a quarter of people living in England do not even know who their patron saint is!

By tradition, April 23rd is the day for a red rose in the button hole, the national flower. However, unlike other countries, England does not celebrate it like Americans celebrate 4 July with fireworks. I think it would be very different if it were declared a public holiday! When we grew roses I used to wear one to work and so did a few others. I'm proud of my heritage, so come on Gordon Brown, you may be flying the flag over Downing Street but I'm not sure you are doing enough for the poor English people!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Witty Wednesday


Now I know why Embee drinks wine!!! To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine... and those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in faeces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whisky or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health.
Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of crap.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.
******************************
Learn Chinese in 5 minutes (You MUST read them aloud) English - Chinese

That's not right! Sum Ting Wong


Are you harbouring a fugitive? Hu Yu Hai Ding


See me ASAP ; Kum Hia Nao


Stupid Man; Fu Kin Dum


Small Horse; Tai Ni Po Ni


Did you go to the beach? Wai Yu So Tan

I bumped into a coffee table! Ai Bang Mai Fu Kin Ni


I think you need a face lift! Chin Tu Fat


It's very dark in here! Wai So Dim

I thought you were on a diet! Wai Yu Mun Ching


This is a tow away zone! No Pah King


Our meeting is scheduled for next week! Wai Yu Kum Nao

Staying out of sight; Lei Ying Lo

He's cleaning his automobile; Wa Shing Ka


Your body odour is offensive; Yu Fu Kin Stin Ki Pu


Great; Fa Kin Su Pa



Have a good day :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post script: for anyone who is interested we now have a volunteer to host next the next FUN MONDAY it is Angela@The Lurchers
I'm not sure when she will have the assignment posted but do hop over to check and sign up.

Archives:
2007: Fun Monday 14 Isn't every day a bad hair day + Happy St Georges Day

Labels: , , ,

24 Comments:

At 23/4/08 13:18, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Happy St Georges Day to you!!

 
At 23/4/08 13:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute Chinese words!

I will have a good cold beer any day, thankyouverymuch!

 
At 23/4/08 13:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy St Georges Day - I agree he gets left out, there should be a national holiday!
Loved the Chinese words - very funny!

 
At 23/4/08 14:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the poop wine PSA. LOL!

 
At 23/4/08 14:37, Blogger kitten said...

Thanks for the History lesson and remembrance. The kids and I learned that last year, but I had forgot.
A glass a wine a day will help with cholesterol also.
Love the Chinese talk. LOL! Thanks for the giggles!

 
At 23/4/08 15:54, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Happy St. Georges Day!
(Sad I know him and so many English don't.)
The wine and beer-brilliant.

Lisa

 
At 23/4/08 15:54, Blogger thefoodsnob said...

Happy St. Georges Day!
(Sad I know him and so many English don't.)
The wine and beer-brilliant.

Lisa

 
At 23/4/08 16:25, Blogger Unknown said...

See, you can be naughty without my help!! LOL!

 
At 23/4/08 17:03, Blogger ChrisB said...

john but you were the bad influence in the beginning!! and I bet the girls won't even speak to me after this!

 
At 23/4/08 17:44, Blogger Beccy said...

Mother, never again can you complain about the Irishisms of your grandchildren!

 
At 23/4/08 17:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

beccy you can blame dad for this one he got it from someone at work!

 
At 23/4/08 18:15, Blogger kitten said...

I'm glad I was able to tie up some loose ends on my FM.
Okay to your question about my list. When you go to sign into Blogger, scroll down till you see, Blog List, Scheduled Post Publishing on Blogger in draft, then click on draft.blogger.com Then go to you lay out. Click on add gadget the pick blog list. Then you can copy your list into it, then delete your old list and there you go. You do have to be logged in Draft Blogger to add the new stuff.
Hope I explained that well enough.

 
At 23/4/08 19:00, Blogger karisma said...

Ha ha! I think I read this somewhere else last week. But I stilled laughed again.

I had printed out the Chinese word list and hung it on the fridge. My brother promptly stole it and took it to work.

 
At 23/4/08 21:10, Blogger Sam said...

I am far too used to political correctness to enjoy Witty Wednesdays.

 
At 23/4/08 21:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know about St. George - but not surprised since I really know little English history.

 
At 23/4/08 22:50, Blogger storyteller said...

Happy St. George’s day! Thanks for the Chinese chuckles ;--)

Thanks also for letting us know who’s hosting FunMonday next week.

Hugs and blessings,

 
At 24/4/08 00:58, Blogger PAT said...

Happy Saint George's Day, Chris!

I'll keep in mind, the info about the wine and beer!

Pat

 
At 24/4/08 03:42, Blogger Sandy said...

Happy St. George's Day, Chris!

 
At 24/4/08 03:45, Blogger Unknown said...

I needed to learn Chinese. :)

 
At 24/4/08 04:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly? That few knew. It's my son's feast day. And, the day I wanted to have him born (he was 10 days early)....English people seriously don't know it's 4/23 or that he's the patron? Even with the FLAG? I'm stunned.

 
At 24/4/08 11:00, Blogger ChrisB said...

kitten thank you for the info when I have some time I will investigate~ I do have rather a long blog list!

karisma that came from my hubby at work!

AFF that is apparently so I didn't go far from home yesterday but I didn't see anyone wearing a red rose but then I didn't either~ I expect from surveys it would mainly be the older people who would know or children who might learn from school!!

 
At 24/4/08 16:48, Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for the chinese lesson - hysterical!

 
At 25/4/08 06:13, Blogger Pamela said...

Thank Goodness I have Pur Filter!!!!

 
At 25/4/08 09:44, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy St Georges Day !Interesting post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home