Saturday, July 19, 2008

Portimão Portugal # 6

We drove into Portimão across the new bridge that majestically spans the River Arade. It's actually quite attractive and you get views of the river but it's not easy to take photos in a fast moving car!

It's a pleasant enough little town but the main attraction for us was to see if the little restaurant that served sardines was still there (I know I keep on about sardines which many of you don't like so sorry about that!)
We parked and walked along the marina, there were lots of touts trying to get you to book one of the many boat trips that are on offer. Last time we were in Portugal we had a disastrous trip where nearly everyone on the boat was sea sick so we decided to give it a miss this time~ much to Dillon's disappointment!

Below is the view across the river. There are always a lot of boats to be seen and some fairly large boats still use the river.

We passed a statue of the poet but I haven't been able to find out anything about him! Found a link It was then time for an icecream Mollie enjoyed hers as you can see from the picture. I'm not sure what Dillon is explaining in this picture!
Ben decided he didn't want to pose! The shop in the background is the one called 'Miscelania'.However, he couldn't escape me for ever.
Close to the square is a pretty little shaded area with trees and seats where you can sit and watch the world go by or just enjoy the scenery.
Or you can capture a few shots of the family enjoying themselves! Just a short walk from the park is the entrance to the restaurant under a little archway (it was a lot smarter than on out last visit). Everyone must have been anxious to eat they didn't want to stop and pose for many photos!The restaurant itself had not changed at all. We got there early because we had remembered how busy they get later. This was the scene as we left when people were queuing to be seated. You might just manage to pick us out below! I haven't included any photos of the food. This is where Sam tried 'Cuttle fish" I wish I had taken a photo they are ugly little things and tasted a bit bland...she should have had sardines like Beccy and me! Someone had clearly worked very hard to create this piece of art that was on display just outside the restaurant!
As we left to walk back to our cars the sun was setting. You can just see the old bridge that is still in use to the left of the picture. If you walk under the bridge there are many more restaurants situated all along the river.
One thing I didn't mention was that there are a few nice shops and some of us did buy dresses and shoes~not me though as the shops only seem to cater for ladies who haven't piled on the pounds...such is life!

Archives:
2007: We're all going to the zoo today + Enjoying good company

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At 19/7/08 08:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photos, all of them! Looks like everyone is having a really good time.

 
At 19/7/08 10:43, Blogger willowtree said...

Magic!

 
At 19/7/08 12:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos! They brought back memories of a holiday in Portugal years ago.

Nice Header!

 
At 19/7/08 13:13, Blogger Steffi said...

Great pictures and you have such a lovely family!Really nice! I like your new blog header!
Have a nice weekend!

 
At 19/7/08 15:49, Blogger Beckie said...

It looks like a lovely trip! I really like that new header picture - I envy the fact that you all go on vacations together. I have never been on holiday with my entire family.

 
At 19/7/08 16:22, Blogger Jill said...

what beautiful pictures!

 
At 19/7/08 18:09, Blogger Unknown said...

A good time had by all!!

 
At 19/7/08 22:49, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That bridge is very striking.

 
At 19/7/08 23:22, Blogger Betty said...

I enjoyed the pictures, Chris. Beautiful scenery. I don't like sardines, but my Mom loved them.

 
At 20/7/08 02:58, Blogger Alison said...

I love these posts with photos from your trip...just gorgeous.

I didn't know that there were such things as glow worms!!

 
At 20/7/08 05:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having never been to Portugal I am so enjoying seeing your photos, but glad you didn't take photos of the sardines yuk!

 
At 20/7/08 08:16, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Portugal looks really pretty!! And I know what you mean about the clothes....they never seem to have the bigger sizes. Glad you all had a good time!!

 
At 20/7/08 08:22, Blogger la bellina mammina said...

Gorgeous photos! Have never been to Portugal, so thanks for sharing these.

 
At 20/7/08 10:16, Blogger karisma said...

Very nice! I was thinking Dillon my be explaining that his Ice cream was too small, he may need another one to fill him up!

 
At 20/7/08 10:33, Blogger Beccy said...

How come I didn't get to check out the photos of me first?

 
At 20/7/08 11:17, Blogger ChrisB said...

beckie this is the first time since 2003 that we have all been on holiday together.

katy I thought enough said about sardines as not everyone seems to like them~ fresh grilled are the best :)

karisma ha you are probably spot on there!

beccy I will show you the other one when you are here!

 
At 20/7/08 19:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing!

 
At 20/7/08 22:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

kila I was getting a bit carried away. I have so many photos it's difficult choosing which ones to publish!

 
At 20/7/08 22:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

betty have you tried then freshly caught and grilled?

 
At 21/7/08 03:00, Blogger Pamela said...

it's exactly what I would picture it.

I've seen some beautiful tile from somewhere in Portugal, and your pictures bring that to mind. The bright and the blue

 
At 21/7/08 19:01, Blogger Julie said...

Lovely pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home