Thursday, September 18, 2008

A=Apples and P=pressie

Yesterday, I took my mother out to visit my brother and one of the reasons we went was to pick up some cooking apples. These apples are from one of his neighbour's trees and can you believe they never use them. The branches hang over into the field behind my brother's house so they are easy to scrump (steal). The haul was not as good as in previous years but I'm happy. Now I have to start preserving them. You may also espy some cucumbers,at the end of the table,they are from my brother's garden.

Last night Embee returned home from his week in France and Belgium he hasn't unpacked any of the wine from the car so I'm not quite sure what he brought back. However he did bring me a Norah Jones CD, some hand made chocolates and chocolate pate which is in a tin that reminds me of an old fashioned boot polish tin. I will save that for when the family visit but the date on the chocs means I have to eat those!


Archives:
2007: Book Swap

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 18/9/08 13:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is quite a stash of apple there! I have some on my tree in the garden (Where else! *rolls eyes*) but they are pretty horrible.
Cucumbers! Nice...
.
Do you like Norah? She reminds me of Katie Melua and she sends me to sleep. :o)
I like the tin... of course I can't remember the polish...way before my time. :o)

 
At 18/9/08 14:10, Blogger Rayne said...

Our neighbor has a pear tree absolutely laden with big, beautiful pears and I watch so sadly as they just drop to the ground and lay there.
Do you make apple butter? My mom used to do a lot of canning every year and I really miss the apple butter.

 
At 18/9/08 14:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

daffy I prefer Katie Melua but I quite like Norah Jones haven't played this one yet!

Rayne I had to look up *apple butter* I think I would probably like it but not sure whether to give it ago!

 
At 18/9/08 16:29, Blogger Beckie said...

Everything looks wonderful! Are the apples tart or sweet?

I can remember the polish...they still sell it around here!

 
At 18/9/08 17:09, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Scrump. Now there`s a new word for me. Dang, I wish I could remember new words.

 
At 18/9/08 18:00, Blogger Sam said...

my apple canning wasn't the most successful because I had some spillage - but actually I opened one jar up this week and it tasted wonderful on my wheat porridge so now I am happy again.

I wouldn't make the apple butter - too much work even for me. And I think you really need a huge coppe can. Elise simply resipes wouuld be a place to read up on that. She made some and gave me a jar once.

 
At 18/9/08 18:01, Blogger Sam said...

ps are you going to wait until I come home? I'm family too.

 
At 18/9/08 18:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, apples and chocolates, you're all set! :)

 
At 19/9/08 10:39, Blogger Barbara said...

Some nice gifts and fab apples. Enjoy your weekend Chris.

 
At 19/9/08 12:59, Blogger ChrisB said...

beckie I sometimes see tins of polish but it's quite rare

sam I think I will give the apple butter a miss then! Not sure the choc spread will last that long!

 
At 20/9/08 03:46, Blogger bichonpawz said...

Apples sure mean Fall here! We have two apple trees in our yard....one of them is baking apples and the other is eating apples. We could never, ever use them all, so I'm hoping my neighbors will actually steal some of them!! Glad Embee had a nice trip and brought you some delicious gifts!!

 
At 20/9/08 05:36, Blogger kitten said...

mmmmm! Fresh apples! The apples here this year cost way too much to buy. Those look so good!
MMMMM! I love some good old red wine!

 
At 21/9/08 03:10, Blogger ~ej said...

lovely apples...what are you cooking them into i wonder?? i always only make apple sauce, my apple pies never turn out well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home