Thursday, September 25, 2008

Goji Bush!

A friend of mine order some Goji plants months ago and had promised that I could have one of them. They finally arrived a few days ago and I thought I had better plant it straight away. My friend said the bushes can grow to 3 metres so I got EmBee to buy large pot and some compost to start the process.

Yesterday I set about planting what looks like a little twig and I'm wondering how many years it will take to establish and start producing fruit. According to my information there should be some fruit after a couple of years. So we will have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed, but I reason if they can grow in the Himalayas in Tibet, they might manage to grow here. In the mean time I will have to continue buying the dried berries.
I'm wondering if there are any bloggers who have tried growing them!


Archives:
2007: Catching Up
Archives:
2006: Manic Mondays

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 25/9/08 11:15, Blogger SwampAngel65 said...

I've never heard of the fruit before, but it sounds great! Good luck growing it and be sure to keep us updated!

 
At 25/9/08 12:12, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I'm the same as swampangel - I'd never heard of them before either. But now I'm much more wiser, thank to yourself.

 
At 25/9/08 17:38, Blogger Beckie said...

They both stole my line. Not only have I not grown them - I've never heard of them. They sound interesting...where did you buy the dried berries.

 
At 25/9/08 18:09, Blogger Sabrina said...

How interesting! Looking forward to how they grow/produce/etc!

 
At 25/9/08 21:44, Blogger ChrisB said...

beckie I buy the dried berries in a health food shop but the supermarkets sometimes have small packets.

 
At 25/9/08 22:37, Blogger karisma said...

Not me! I have a blueberrie bush and a peach tree that are this little though! Im really looking forward to them growing up.

 
At 25/9/08 22:42, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karisma I have 4 blueberry bushes as well and had quite a good crop this year.

 
At 25/9/08 23:04, Blogger Betty said...

Hi Chris,

I have never heard of this fruit let alone tried to grow it. Sorry I can't be of any help.

 
At 26/9/08 00:33, Blogger Sam said...

Why does the compost bag look like it should contain *nappys?

(* that's diapers to your American audience.)

 
At 26/9/08 04:24, Blogger Alison said...

I have never heard of this berry either. Keep us posted on your new plant. what do they taste like? I can definitely use them to get rid of cellulite!!

 
At 26/9/08 04:59, Blogger ~ej said...

no idea, have only seen the fruit in the stores...but good luck. great big pot too :)

 
At 27/9/08 00:58, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

Sure doesn't look like much, does it?

 
At 27/9/08 01:01, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

Dried goji berries are available at my co-op. Amongst other benefits, eating goji berries is supposed to be good for your sexual health.

I've never seen them fresh.

 
At 27/9/08 09:34, Blogger Steffi said...

I have never heard of this fruit before.So have no idea!But it sounds good!

 
At 4/10/08 23:08, Blogger ChrisB said...

ari- I had no idea they were that good!

 
At 11/10/08 07:05, Blogger Pamela said...

now I have to go goji.
(going to check out the big nursey across from Amanda's in Portland, OR)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home