Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Corfu-Kerkyra The New Fortress # 2

Today I'm sharing photos of my visit to the New Fortress. I took so many photos it was difficult to choose which ones to share. I'm probably posting far too many as it is, so hope you don't get bored.

From research-The New Fortress, also known as the Fortress of San Marco, was built by the Venetians near the Old Harbour of Corfu town between the years 1576 and 1645, shortly after the second great Turkish siege. The Italian military engineer Ferraute Vitteli was responsible for the work.
The fortress was a strong point in the town's defense. Its structure is a complicated network of chambers and galleries. The French and later the British completed the fortifications and the buildings of the fortress.
The entrance to the Fortress is approached up a flight of back street steps. On one side there are little cafés. On the other side of the street, there are little alleyways leading to houses, many having been turned into apartments.
You can see from these two photos that these alleys are very narrow and and the outlook is not always very appealing.
The view below is overlooking where the new marina will be built.
Looking down from the fortress is a better view of the park that is in front, and to the left of the hotel, where we stayed.
The mainland of Greece seen on the horizon was slightly misty on the day I took these photos.

This is the archway leading to a higher level of the fortress, where you get good views of the sea

As you climb higher you can get a 360 degree view.
The pictures above and below are to the rear of the fort. Where you see some of the ruins of the outer walls.
Unfortunately I didn't take any decent pictures inside the buildings as the lighting was not so good.
Below you can see across the rooftops of the town buildings and in between are numerous narrow streets, many lined with small shops and restaurants.
From the top of new fortress you can look across the city and see the Old Fortress, and I'll show you more of that visit later in the week.



Archives:
2007: Pussy cat Pussy cat where have I been
Archives:
2006: I never knew that

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 7/10/08 20:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazes me how everything is the same color. All the buildings are that pale yellow.

 
At 7/10/08 20:51, Blogger wendishness said...

Lovely photos, and you're not boring anyone, it's always great to take an armchair ride of anyone's holiday :)

Can't wait to see more.

 
At 7/10/08 21:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. You suck. Hahaha

 
At 7/10/08 22:07, Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Wow...those are beautiful photos. You are really making me want to travel overseas. Or just travel more. Absolutely fascinating!

 
At 7/10/08 22:29, Blogger karisma said...

Imagine what those walls could tell us if they could talk! Amazing to think about. My first thought with all the buildings about is they need some trees!

 
At 8/10/08 01:51, Blogger kitten said...

Amazing! THank you 4 sharing!

 
At 8/10/08 03:31, Blogger bichonpawz said...

I love all your pictures! This is the only way I'm ever even going to get close to Greece....beautiful!!

 
At 8/10/08 05:30, Blogger Alison said...

just gorgeous. the town looks all smooshed together, I think it would be very easy to get lost there.

thanks for sharing your holidays with us, I love traveling with you!!

 
At 8/10/08 05:31, Blogger willowtree said...

Spectacular!!!

 
At 8/10/08 07:43, Blogger Barbara said...

Wonderful Chris. I think I'd like Corfu. If only it wasn't so far.

 
At 8/10/08 08:33, Blogger Steffi said...

Wow...great pictures of your travel!And the weather looks much better as here!Enjoy it!

 
At 8/10/08 12:35, Blogger Beccy said...

I love all the little allyways, it reminds me of places I visited in Greece.

 
At 8/10/08 18:05, Blogger Sam said...

It's kind of reminding me of Silves too.

 
At 8/10/08 18:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam that is exactly how I felt, although it's a much larger town

 
At 9/10/08 23:44, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Imagine "new" being about 400 years old.

 
At 9/10/08 23:52, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC I will be doing a post about the old Fortress!

 
At 15/10/08 02:52, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

All those narrow windy lanes... so GREECE! Love it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home