Friday, December 19, 2008

A Forlorn Friday

In many ways today has been rather depressing. I got up early and did a few things for my mother and then made a lemon cake. I had been invited to meet up with some of my ex-work colleagues (who are also friends) for a sort of American lunch, and the cake was my contribution.
Me being in my own kitchen to cook the cake, did not please my mother because it meant she had to have her lunch a little later than normal. I may have mentioned before that it is not easy sharing a kitchen, but I won't go there again.

I was really looking forward to a couple of hours with old friends but as I caught up on what had been happening in their lives this is when I realised I should count my blessings.

Our hostess has been having a very difficult time with her teenage son, I won't go into detail, it was quite serious at the time, but things are improving.

Another person who had adopted children from a very difficult background (when they were young) and had recently helped them be reintroduced to their birth mother. As a result they quite suddenly decided to go and live with her. You can imagine how distraught this has made their mother. Again I can't go into all the details but this is likely to end in tears. The young people are 17 & 18 so technically they can make their own choices.

The twin brother of someone else is being treated for Leukaemia and he is seriously ill. The brother I know had donated bone marrow and blood and was explaining the process he had to go through. There's still no certainty that his brother will pull through but today, apparently, he showed a little improvement.

Another friend who was treated for cancer of the colon earlier this year had only just returned to work after a period of stress related illness.

Another person I had hoped to see had fallen down the stairs and injured her shoulder so couldn't come.

Another person had been out of work for a while but just managed to get a temporary post until March, so is still looking for for something permanent-not easy at the moment.

That left three of us with no major problems.

So instead of the lighthearted gathering I was expecting it actually turned out to be quite a sombre one. It did, however, allow people to express their feelings in a safe environment, which is a good thing. As most of us had been social workers at some point in our lives, one could say we were well equipped to cope with so much sadness in a small group of people.

So tonight I will be saying a prayer for my friends and I will be hoping better things for them in the coming year.


Archives:
2007: Witty Wednesday-30
2006: I'm losing the plot

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 19/12/08 22:13, Blogger Molly said...

That is quite a bit of trouble for your friends. Perhaps, this next year will bring better times. Take care, Chris.

 
At 20/12/08 00:34, Blogger Jill said...

isnt it funny how things happen in groups like that? its quite disturbing to the senses. at least it makes us all feel like things aren't quite so bad...

 
At 20/12/08 01:39, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Darling Chris: Your daughter has been so, so comforting during some of my forlorn days. You have a generous chromosome in your family.
I'm feeling a LOT better. I hope you feel pretty dandy, even so. I wish you a lovely Christmas.

 
At 20/12/08 03:53, Blogger BS said...

I will say a prayer for all of them too.

 
At 20/12/08 09:14, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Goodness, when reading all that it makes you realise ya little aches and pains and worries aint all that bad after all LOL.....

I'll keep all your precious friends in my good thoughts.... with wishes of better things to come..

x

 
At 20/12/08 09:39, Blogger Beccy said...

How sad for those friends of yours mum, I hope next year brings more positive news for them all.

 
At 20/12/08 14:48, Blogger kitten said...

Sending hugs your way! When your life looks so dark, just look into someone else's and you realize it's not as dark as you thought.
Hope you have a Blessed Week end!

 
At 20/12/08 15:01, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My goodness, that's quite a basketful of troubles. Hope the sun shines for you today.

What's an American lunch? Hot dogs?

 
At 20/12/08 16:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really makes me stop and think and be thankful for the blessings I have!

What is an American lunch? Did you eat hotdogs?

 
At 20/12/08 16:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! I see Anvilcloud said the exact same thing as me. hahahaha I think I need to read the other comments before I hit send

 
At 20/12/08 17:14, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC and Karmyn it's like a *potluck* every one brings something. Often called American Supper here in UK. No one brought hot dogs!! We did have a good variety of dishes.

 
At 20/12/08 20:15, Blogger Pamela said...

what else was there for American lunch?

I'm fixing cream of vegetable soup for lunch -- it just smells warm and filling on the 8(f) degree day

 
At 20/12/08 20:24, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela your soup sound good - we had a selection of cold meat, salad, fresh bread, garlic bread, hummus, tuna, samosas, bhajees, mince pies choc and lemon cake. So considering it was pot luck we had variety.

 
At 20/12/08 20:27, Blogger ChrisB said...

CC thank you so much for visiting- I think you might be seeing Sam today-please give her a hug from me and a big hug from me to you. Beccy & co will be here for Christmas so we'll have a lively time.

 
At 21/12/08 02:45, Blogger karisma said...

My goodness, and we thought we had problems! How sad, I will add my thoughts and prayers to yours. Big hugs and smoochies to you! xxxxx

 
At 21/12/08 02:54, Blogger Sam said...

I am sorry it was such a sombre gathering but it was also an important one. To have friends with whom you can share your hardships is a true gift. We that do have a good network of understanding friends are lucky since there are so many people who have to suffer without anyone to support them. And thus we are blessed, even in our lowest moments, because we share love with our true friends and family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home