Monday, December 29, 2008

Fun Monday # 96 and Shopping


I am totally disorientated and forgot that it should have been a Fun Monday post today! So this is a rapid addition to what I have already published below.

Sayre is our charming host, today, and she wants to know two things about our holiday:

What was the most touching, wonderful part of Christmas for you this year?
AND What was the craziest, stupidest, funniest part this year?


For me having the family here is always the best part of Christmas, and talking to Sam on skype as she can't be here. I have to say that this year I was in a panic because for some reason my turkey did not seem to cook properly and I thought my roast potatoes would never crisp up so it was an absolute relief when we at down to eat and everyone said it ws the best turkey we'd ever had. Mind you, I do recall we have said that in the past but not every year. I do think this year it was a melt in your mouth experience and the potatoes, cooked in goose fat, were perfect.

Normally I don't get surprised with my Christmas presents but this year the family managed it and I had absolutely no idea what I was getting. Beccy and family bought me a digital photo frame and Embee bought me a magnetic board to accommodate my overflow of fridge magnets, also I can use it for messages. So quite a novel idea, he even managed to get it into the house and hide it without me seeing it which has to be a first!!! (I will be showing a few photos tomorrow).

I don't have any funny, stupid or crazy things to tell you. Well my daughter would say I'm crazy because I buy too much food and it never all gets eating. I just want to make sure we don't run out of things (and it means I don't need to shop for at least another week!)

Sorry this is such a lame post...my New Year Resolution should be to do better but then I don't make *resolutions* because I would be setting myself up to fail!

Next week (5/1/09) Summit Musings will be hosting. Be sure to visit for the assignment.
*********************************
Yesterday, the family chose to do some shopping on their final day here in Bristol. We ventured to The Mall and it was not really particularly busy, which was a pleasant surprise.
Embee went off by himself and came back with a shirt he had seen before Christmas. It was in the sale and £10 cheaper so he was delighted.
Ben wanted to go and see Madagascar -Escape to Africa so Joules took him to the cinema.
Mollie decided to spend a lot of her money on some shoes. I'm not sure about the height of the heels but apparently all her friends wear them. Beccy tried them on and though they were very comfortable. My guess is she won't wear them very often but I might be proved wrong!Dillon sat and watched proceedings and did his best to dissuade her.My grand daughter can be a very determined young lady when she chooses...I wonder who she takes after!!! Her mother and her Auntie Sam I think!!!

How much did I spend?...the grand sum of 50 pence (reduced from £1.50..the last of the big spenders!!) on a new ice scraper for the car!

Today-we were up at 5:30am and Embee dropped them to Bristol International airport-I've just had a text to say they are safely back in Dublin and in the car heading home.
We had a great few days and it won't be long until I see them again because I have already booked a flight for February.

Archives:
2007: Home from the big smoke
2006: Friday 29th

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

At 29/12/08 12:20, Blogger Molly said...

Chris I always love reading about your family. I am glad that the mal was as usual the best ever. Embee did buy a clever gift for your refrigerator magnets. Buying too much and cooking too much food sounds like a good plan; now you are set for New Year's Day.

 
At 29/12/08 13:31, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

It was not a lame post at all! Glad you had a wonderful time with family this Christmas!

 
At 29/12/08 13:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharing Chritmas with family is the best gift there is. sounds like you got some bargains at the Mall, just love bargains!

 
At 29/12/08 13:47, Blogger Sayre said...

Sounds like a great Christmas! I think anxiety over the meal is normal. Especially turkey, which is easy to overdo and turn out dry - and easy to underdo as well! I'm so glad yours was perfect!

 
At 29/12/08 14:26, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Goose or turkey? I get confused. We often hear of the Christmas goose over there but also about the turkey. I had thought that the turkey was not native to there, but perhaps I am wrong?

 
At 29/12/08 14:34, Blogger Jan said...

Chris, I think this is a great post. I love Embee's gift. I have a collections, too, I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like yours. Too much food, means leftovers, not a bad thing, this time of year.

 
At 29/12/08 15:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I've never seen a lame post at this place !
Glad your turkey was purr-fect and that you had a nice holiday. Being with family is the best !

If I haven't done this before, I want to thank you for always having the Mon Funday host/hostess posted on your side bar. You have saved my neck many times when I couldn't remember who was hosting.

May you and yours have a healthy, happy, and safe 2009. Kathy

 
At 29/12/08 16:00, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

GROOVY boots, baby - definitely my bag, baby! lol

 
At 29/12/08 16:43, Blogger Pamela said...

those shoes make me want to cackle and say: I'll get you, my pretty and your little dog too!

And the grandsons hat... hmmm... Mystery Alaska. ha ha ha ha.

oh your description of your culinary endeavors always makes my mouth water.

 
At 29/12/08 17:45, Blogger sillysausage said...

remember what the boys said about those flowery shoes Mollie bought in Portugal? I was looking at a photo of them the other day, when I was in my sick bed.

Also - who says every year "the turkey isn't cook properly and my potatoes are NEVER going to crisp up"?

Yes - that would be you.

It takes a silly sausage to know a silly sausage...

 
At 29/12/08 18:12, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam do I get my panic gene from you -no the other way around!

Pamela Dillon has the hat mainly because he is going skiing in a couple of days to North Conway(is that New Hampshire?). But he does love it as it is so warm.

Molly he actually fixed it to the wall this afternoon!

AC we don't have goose which used to be traditional- turkeys are much more popular here at Christmas.

swampy I'm finding it a lot more difficult to keep track of FM hosts these days-but I'll try to continue advertising it as I know people do find it helpful.

 
At 29/12/08 21:18, Blogger Faye said...

I too had a potato crisis for Christmas dinner, Chris. I chose a waxy variety for au gratin potato and they wouldn't get done, unlike yours that wouldn't crisp up. However, love the goose fat idea. My hostess was cooking a prime rib for the first time and having trouble getting it to correct doneness so that gave me some potato leeway.

Your holiday week sounds just like what it should be--very leisurely and filled with family togetherness and outings. Loved that you all were able to enjoy a post-Christmas shop together.

All the best to you and yours in '09, Chris.

 
At 29/12/08 21:55, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mollie's shoes! Oh, I could never even find something so cool in America. You Brits have all the style.

 
At 29/12/08 22:46, Blogger ChrisB said...

Faye it does feel quite comforting to know there are others out there who experience little blips with their cooking. I wouldn't use goose fat all the time because it's not really healthy but it's great for special occasions.

CC maybe it would be a good thing if there were less of the trendy things about to tempt them-I'm being an old spoil sport aren't I! I would never have been allowed to wear something like that at that age. Come to think of it my father would not allow me to wear anything remotely fashionable until after I left home at 18! even then he showed his displeasure.

 
At 29/12/08 23:37, Blogger karisma said...

Sounds like a lovely xmas. For once we did not go overboard on food and we still enjoyed our day. Have a happy new year!

 
At 30/12/08 00:37, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

I don't care for Mollie's new shoes, but I love her red and black skinny slacks.

 
At 30/12/08 04:23, Blogger Alison said...

sounds like you had a wonderful holiday!! I like the shoes, I can see my Cassie liking them also!!

 
At 30/12/08 05:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The description of your meal almost had me drooling ;)

How fun to be surprised with great gifts.

 
At 30/12/08 10:16, Blogger Beccy said...

But mother you allowed me bright red kitten heels when I was but a few months older than Mollie.

I think you have selective memory!

 
At 30/12/08 10:23, Blogger ChrisB said...

kitten heels are much lower I believe! x

 
At 4/1/09 09:34, Blogger Steffi said...

Sounds like a great christmas with your family.I love to read in your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home