Friday, December 12, 2008

Three ladies who lunched...

Over the last three years the large downtown area of Bristol (Broadmead) has been re-developed at a cost of 500 million pounds. It has now been renamed as Cabot Circus and the link will give you some interesting facts and history.

My mother was very keen to see Quakers Friars which used to be the Registry Office, both mum and I got married there the second time around. It is a listed building and it has been incorporated into the development. Although it used to be practically surrounded by a car park I do think the actual building has lost its charm surrounded as it is by modern shops and cafes. I think the square will probably look a lot better in the summer when people are eating outside. However, I am wondering do we really have the sort of weather for a cafe culture-I don't somehow think so!
The square had been decorated with some very large coloured baubles and there were reindeer sculptures dotted around.
My mother is unable to walk very far but we did manage to to go a short distance into the circus area which is partly covered.
Every so often mum had a little rest and admired the view.
Escalators, stairs or lifts take you to the upper levels but we didn't venture that far. There is also a covered walkway to a huge new car park, or so the taxi driver told us-we decided not to drive as mum would never have managed to walk that far.This picture shows how they have created plenty of light through the roof.
One of the first places we had to find was the ladies rest room, I thought it was worth a photo. The disabled toilet was out of order which didn't impress me, and although my mother managed, anyone needing assistance would have found it difficult.
Beccy and her Granny just before we went for lunch at Harvey Nichols.
The restaurant is on the second floor and some of the tables overlook the square. This was Beccy's birthday treat to her granny, who thoroughly enjoyed it.
I only took a couple of photos as my camera is not good enough to do the food justice.
Beccy and I ordered organic chicken breast with truffle butter and cos. Mum ordered roast rump of lamb, beetroot and root vegetables. Anyone who is a foodie will say the lamb is over cooked it should be pink but my mother wanted it well done!

To go with this we had roast potatoes (small new in skin) with red onions, purple sprouting broccoli, with sultanas and a mixed salad with a wonderful dressing. All absolutely, melt in your mouth delicious. Oh, and as we weren't driving we had a glass of wine.
Beccy and I had no room for anything else but mum managed home made raspberry ice cream (you could see pieces of raspberry in it) and a coffee. Afterwards mum declared it was the best meal she had ever had-so much for my cooking!
We wished that Sam had been with us, but maybe next time she visits as we all agreed we would like to repeat the experience.

Archives:
2007: Witty Wednesday-29
2006: Anxiety

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 13/12/08 01:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm envious, looks like you had so much fun!

I hope you'll join the RAK movement for Fun Monday this week! It's not too late.

:-)

MommyWizdom

 
At 13/12/08 04:04, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That looks like an amazing redevelopment. I'm sure that'll help revitalize downtown for your whole city - let's hope so.

Yes yes... some of those toilet facilities are amazing in these new constructions!

Good on you for getting out and about with your mum [[[hugs]]].

 
At 13/12/08 09:10, Blogger ChrisB said...

Mommy Wizdom thanks for letting me know you are hosting FM next week.

Mal it was lovely that she was so thrilled with her day.

 
At 13/12/08 10:09, Blogger Beccy said...

Tell granny I'll remember that day for the rest of my life as well!

Joules is very keen to sample the food!

 
At 13/12/08 11:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

Beccy wonder if we will have time to go while you are here at Christmas-not sure they would be open that weekend!

 
At 13/12/08 12:24, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks like a fine outing for the three generations. Maybe the outdoor cafe will work. Canadians will seek such outdoor spots even on poorer spring/fall days.

 
At 13/12/08 14:58, Blogger Sam said...

sounds like you had a good day!! I was just there on Tuesday and was quite impressed with the whole thing although I was expecting it ALL to be undercover!

Did you see on the news that a car had taken quite an impressive flying header into the Harvey Nichols windows!!!?

 
At 13/12/08 15:11, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam it was actually Tuesday that we were down there. I did see the news about that car. What really surprised me was there weren't that many people about.

 
At 13/12/08 21:54, Blogger karisma said...

Sounds like a lovely day out! Those bathrooms look amazing! Don't see that around here!

 
At 14/12/08 08:41, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh it looks lively - and a huge improvement on the Broadmead I remember!

Meal looks delicious too.

 
At 14/12/08 18:20, Blogger Sam said...

I am so happy to see this post. I would have been even happier to have been there. Thank you for sharing.

xxx

 
At 14/12/08 19:13, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam we did miss having you there, granny so enjoyed the day. I'm glad we were able to get her down to see it.

 
At 15/12/08 07:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at Karmyn's house so I'm not doing much visiting

I've only tried lamb once. I didn't care for it. And now, of course, I rarely eat meat.

I sure like the looks of that place = so open and bright.

Pamela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home