Monday, January 26, 2009

Fun Monday # 100 Diets!!!!



Today Grace is our hostess with the mostest and this is what she is asking of us:

Many people make resolutions during the month of January and they usually include diets/eating healthy/losing weight and all that good stuff. I myself decided to try the Weight Watchers. My assignment is to tell us about a diet or two (Atkins, Sonoma, Weight Watchers, South Beach, the You on a Diet, Best Life, The Abs Diet etc) that you have tried and what you liked or did not like about it. You can tell us about one diet that you had so much success with, or another that was a torture to follow or both.

My weight problem started from birth so I blame my mother-I was fed on cows milk from a very early age-yes straight from the cow. Plus I'm told my grampy used to wake me up to give me chocolate when he came home from the pub late at night. I didn't stand a chance...

Like many people I have tried a few diets such as high protein, cabbage diet, but none were very successful because, of course,as soon as you ease off the weight just piles on with interest (a bit like a loan really).

The best diet for me was when my first husband walked out on us (not that I'm suggesting this method of slimming). However at that time, I just didn't feel hungry and I couldn't eat much for ages and the weight just dropped off me. I dropped a couple of dress sizes in no time at all. I managed to keep it off for quite a few years, it helped that I played tennis, I used to exercise and, quite often, walk 4 miles to work. Then I changed jobs, I was sitting around a lot more and we often took in baking for coffee time and you've guessed it the pounds crept back.

One thing I have tried that really does work is detoxing and completely changing the way you eat.
I think it was back in about 2002 that I tried my first Detox retreat mainly because one of my friends was keen to go and she wanted some company. We went to a farm in Devon and followed a very strict regime for a week, that included this. We also learned about food and how eating raw food was much better for the body to process. I followed all the preparation advice for the month before we went. It was not nearly as difficult as I imagined to not eat for a week. We went swimming everyday and I took walks, although lots of the others did not have the energy to get out of bed. We could also book treatments and I had a couple of lovely massages.

It was having the first small meal of raw fruit and veg at the end of the week that made me realise how delicious tomatoes could be-before this I did not like raw tomatoes. I felt incredibly healthy and my skin and hair had improved. I had lost quite a few pounds as well. When I got home I was determined to keep up eating only raw food. I managed it for a few months but then came Christmas and that was my undoing. I did go on another retreat the following year but second time around I was less enthusiastic.

Dieting really doesn't work it's sensible eating and cutting out all the rubbish that has to be a way of life. For the last couple of years I've not been strong willed enough to stick to sensible eating. Doing this post has really made me think that I need to take myself in hand and make a determined effort to eat a lot more raw food and no junk.

For Photo assignment, Grace asks that we post a photo of something/someone that makes you feel good about yourself.
No prizes for guessing it's my family who make me happy.

Archives:
2008: I nearly didn't join the party + Keepng Sam Company

2007: A huge Thank you +Sleeping Beauty

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At 26/1/09 11:34, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

I mentioned Garfield too this week...the SEE FOOD diet.

My Fun Monday isn't much, but I posted it...come on over and say howdy if you can. Have a great day.

 
At 26/1/09 12:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried that divorce diet...It was mostly liquid.

 
At 26/1/09 12:34, Blogger FH said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 26/1/09 12:36, Blogger FH said...

I agree. Fad diets are dangerous to our heart. As long as you are keeping your joints worked out, eat sensibly and not eating too much of saturated fat everyday, I think being a little plump is quite okay. Nature has a way of letting you know if you have way too much wt for your body type. That's what I believe, I guess it's Indian philosophy of life! ;D

Btw, most Indian kids are brought up in villages and they do drink warm fresh milk right out of "just milked cow"!!:D
Some city bred folks like me got to taste that only when we visited our grandparents during Summer holidays, I loved the aroma and yummy taste. No chocolate milk for us though, but with Jaggary (homemade from Sugarcane juice, a unrefined earthy brown sugar lumps) added to the milk! Slurp! :)

 
At 26/1/09 14:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying three diets at the moment, One is not enough!! Love.

 
At 26/1/09 14:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading about the detox cleanse, it makes sense to me. We do need to rid our bodies of toxins. sounds like you have the right idea. I just may try it myself. Good luck to you.

 
At 26/1/09 15:50, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Dieting is hard and doesn't work in the long run -- often not in the short run either.

 
At 26/1/09 17:35, Blogger Sayre said...

I have heard about the colonics and raw food - some people swear by them!

I don't think I'm disciplined enough to stick with raw food though.

 
At 26/1/09 22:09, Blogger Frannie said...

detox diets fascinate me!

 
At 26/1/09 22:55, Blogger Faye said...

Oh my! I had forgotten how unrepentant Garfield was about his food! Made me laugh. I imagine the time away spending time thinking about your own needs worked as well as the detox. You mentioned exercise, I always do better the more vigorously I'm exercising. It's good for the mind and body. And, nothing like a life crisis to knock a few pounds off. However, from the looks of your family collage, looks like you've lucked on to someone much better thna what you lost.

 
At 26/1/09 22:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Raw food? that must have been a detox and a half. Wow, I do not think I could do it. thanks for participating, I love your picture

 
At 26/1/09 23:11, Blogger Living Life said...

Sounds like the consensus is that diets do not work and it's the life style change of eating healthy foods and exercising that does work. My mom went through the divorce diet too and ended up too skinny.

 
At 27/1/09 00:03, Blogger Pamela said...

I just watched a news magazine story on how steamed vegetables were much better for you than raw -- had something with breaking down some of the things so you could digest it.

colonic.. what? oh I don't want to know. snort.

 
At 27/1/09 00:03, Blogger Molly said...

The Detox Retreats look lovely, but the Detox process itself does not sound lovely. Eating raw fruits and vegetables is probably a good practice whether trying to diet or not.

Yes, Chris, I would recommend the G.I. Diet Express. The book is easy to read and offers menus and recipes.

 
At 27/1/09 00:37, Blogger BS said...

Ah yes, the "husband just walked out on you and left you with 2 babies" diet - Been there, done that - I had forgotten about that. It wasn't as much a diet but survival - who has time to eat when you are working full time, taking care of 2 babies and crying all the time ? The current "lifestyle change" is much better (and healthier).

 
At 27/1/09 00:57, Blogger Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I've heard the divorce diet is quiet powerful. My friend is on it now and it is working wonders for her body, but not her heart or mind!

I can see why your family makes you happy. What a good looking crowd!

 
At 27/1/09 02:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, tried the divorce diet...lost about 180 pounds !

 
At 27/1/09 08:40, Blogger Gattina said...

My grandma always said : the best diet is ETH ! which means Eat The Half, lol ! Being married to an Italian for about 40 years now, I always cooked the Italian way, and there is a lot of vegetables and healthy dishes in the Italian kitchen, not only pasta and spaghettis !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home