Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hotter Comfort Concept your service sucks!

I did something last week that I am now regretting. I gave in and ordered a pair of ankle boots, from this company, over the telephone. My mother buys all her shoes from this company and as the pair I wanted was in the sale I decided to give it a try. When I rang to place my order I discussed whether I needed extra width but was advised that they were very generous so I decided to go with the standard fit.
You know what's coming...they arrived yesterday; they were quite narrow and, therefore, were far too tight. I searched the box for return instructions and all I could find was a telephone number to ring and arrange for collecting.
Seems simple enough-wrong no one seems to be answering the phone. I tried several times this morning. I timed three of my calls before I put the phone down 20mins, 7 mins and 20 mins. The frustration at listening to that music and a stupid woman saying *all our operators are busy*......
I waited until after lunch and decided to try the sales telephone number which gave an link to enquiries... now we're getting somewhere....wrong another 20 min wait before my call is answered. My opening words to the poor operator were "do you know how long I have been waiting" she replied "I imagine it's a long time we have been very busy today"!

I explained I wanted to arrange return collection and she said "actually this service is being phased out at the end of the week and all returns need to be posted back". "Do you have a return label" she asked. "No or I might not have bothered hanging on the phone for so long and opted to do that anyway" I replied. "I'll put one in the post to you" says she.

Now I don't know about you but I would have thought knowing that as the policy for returns was changing, this information would have been included, together with a return label, in the original package. This would save the company time, be good communication and build on customer relations. Instead I feel stressed and annoyed and will certainly think twice about ordering from them again, and I expect they have a lot of operators who are fed up with customers complaining about waiting for calls to be answered.

I have just looked through the catalogue and I see in very small print they do mention that they are changing their policy on returns. It says if you can't decide on an alternative, refunds will be made minus £2:20 for postage and processing. The cynical me thinks the change in policy is more to do with making money than anything else.

P.S
As they have the wider fitting boots in stock I am going to exchange but I think this might be my one and only order to Hotter even though I quite like their shoes.


Archives:
2008: De-Young Fine Arts Museum
2007: Shop Til We Drop

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 27/1/09 18:00, Blogger FH said...

Oh dear! I have made that mistake before too ie ordering shoes online!! Never again. It's such a hassle although return service is easy here, just lot of inconvenience. Usually, NIKE shoes are a bit narrower than the other brands, got to be careful.
I go to shoe outlets now, so we can try many and then buy. My son needs size 14 shoes now, giant feet and he is only 13 3/4yrs old! HELP!!;D

Hope you get the right one without more phone calls to make, good luck.

 
At 27/1/09 18:16, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, it can be touch and go with mail/online ordering. A few years ago, I bought a pair of snowshoes from an online company. A small part broke, and they couldn't replace it; I'd have to send the whole snowshoe back (at my cost initially), and they would then examine it to see that I hadn't abused it, and then send me a replacement. By then the winter would have been over. However, I was able to get to one of their stores, and they replaced the part -- no fuss, no muss.

OTOH, I was very impressed with Tilley when we had a problem. They even sent someone around to pick up the unsuitable merchandise. Mind you at Tilley's prices .... :)

 
At 27/1/09 19:31, Blogger Jan said...

I don't blame you. I think I'd cross them off my list, too. I order on-line all the time. Most of my wardrobe comes from catalogs, I really hate to go out and shop. So far, I've had good luck.

 
At 27/1/09 21:56, Blogger Beccy said...

I think shoes and clothes can be risky to order, I've been lucky so far but I do worry when I order stuff.

 
At 27/1/09 22:35, Blogger sallywrites said...

That is very frustrating..... I had similarish problems with ASOS this week (See blog). There is certainly no replacement for shopping at a shop sadly...

 
At 27/1/09 23:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's too bad. Good companies should have excellent costumer service.

 
At 28/1/09 04:56, Blogger Pamela said...

I would feel the same as you.
so frustrating....

 
At 28/1/09 06:03, Blogger karisma said...

I had a similar problem with my camera last week. I was starting to get worried I would not get it back! Customer service seems to be failing worldwide! How rude! Thankfully I did get my camera back today and it works just lovely again. Phew! Hope you get your shoes that fit!

 
At 28/1/09 07:02, Blogger A Spot of T said...

Enough to drive a person to drink! It's too bad their customer service is so bad, but great you're writing about it. People need to know.

 
At 29/1/09 20:01, Blogger wendishness said...

I don't blame you about not ordering from them again, it seems a painful process to go through to exchange.

 
At 30/1/09 11:01, Blogger ChrisB said...

UPDATE:

THREE DAYS LATER AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE RETURN LABEL TO ARRIVE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home