Friday, February 20, 2009

Fish Pie # 2






Now I know what you're thinking "didn't she show a fish pie photo a few weeks back" and you would be correct. However, although this might look a very similar picture it is a completely different recipe. Well to be honest the first one was my own invention but this one is a variation on one of Jamie Oliver's Recipes, and another dish I had when I was visiting Beccy.

Ingredients:
1 kilo (2.2 lbs) potatoes (peel and cut {quarter})
1 carrot
2 sticks celery
150 g cheese
1 lemon
1/2 red chilli (I didn't add this)
4 sprigs flat leaf parsley (I used curly because it's what I grow)

300g (11oz) Salmon
300g (11 oz) Haddock
125g (4.5oz) King Prawns (I substituted with Black Hake)
(Crème fraîche to fish optional)
Handful spinach
Couple ripe tomatoes quartered.

Method:
Pre-heat oven 200C (400F/6 gas)
Cook potatoes (12 mins approx)

Deep baking tray add grated carrot/celery/cheese + fine grated zest lemon & chopped parsley.

Cut fish bite size squeeze over juice of lemon drizzle with Olive oil add salt and pepper and mix in Crème fraîche; spread over base add spinach and toms (optional) and mix.
Top with mashed potato dot with butter and bake approx 40 mins.

I bet you are also thinking broccoli spears are the only green vegetable I eat- not true but I do love broccoli and have it several times a week. Embee loves sprouts and I often cook him some and we like green beans and cabbage.

Also I used a bit less fish than the recipe suggested.


Archives:
2008: Witty Wednesday-38
2007: Hand Art

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 20/2/09 15:58, Blogger ~ej said...

that looks and sounds really good...i have never had fish pie...they made it on the last restaurant standing show the other week...yours looks much nicer :)

 
At 20/2/09 16:39, Blogger Pamela said...

that is something I've never tried --

I think you have to grow up with it - if you lived inland you just didn't eat as much fish because it wasn't fresh. It always tasted so "fishy"

 
At 20/2/09 17:49, Blogger Beccy said...

I'll be making it again next week because Joules is away!

 
At 20/2/09 18:22, Blogger ChrisB said...

elena jane I've only recently got back into making it again. We do like fish.

Pamela I'm not sure how fresh it is because we are not by the coast-however I know it's not been frozen before, I rarely buy some of the more exotic fish that clearly are flown in from a distance.

Beccy I bought enough fish and froze it so I have enough to to make another pie. How long will Joules be away this time?

 
At 20/2/09 23:12, Blogger willowtree said...

That does look really good, although I can't eat haddock, when I was growing up, all you could get was smoked haddock, and that tastes funky.

 
At 21/2/09 18:06, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT I now buy undyed smoked fish and this is much better.

 
At 21/2/09 19:54, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

I'm not big on fish. And it's kind of expensive for what you get, I think. Or maybe that's my excuse.

I didn't grow up eating fish (although Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes), except for frozen fish sticks. With lots of tartar sauce.

 
At 22/2/09 18:22, Blogger D.D. said...

Oh no! I'm looking at the food pic at 2.21AM. OH NO!!!!

 
At 22/2/09 22:18, Blogger Barbara said...

It looks delicious Chris.

 
At 23/2/09 13:29, Blogger Steffi said...

Your recipe sounds really good!I like fish.Thank you for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home