Monday, February 09, 2009

Fun Monday # 102 Bristol is interesting.



Pamela has the perfect excuse not to do any dusting this week as she is hosting Fun Monday.
Pamela wants us to show her in pictures or tell her in words what defines the place that you live.


Now as most of you will know I was visiting Beccy this week and couldn't join in on the day but was keen to do the post anyway. So here I am posting it very late.
I returned from Dublin on Wednesday and my friend, Tina, collected me from the airport. As we drove home I managed to get this shot of one of Bristol's famous land marks. It's not a particularly good photo taken out the window of a moving car, but it will give you an idea of this magnificent bridge that was the brain child of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
He also built bridges and viaducts for the Great Western Railway including Temple Meads Station which has a striking facade. Bristol is also home to a University. The picture below is the Wills Memorial Building which I believe is home to the Law Facilty.

There are lots of quaint little streets that still exist such as Christmas Steps (below) constructed in the 1600's by wine merchants.


There are far too many land marks in Bristol for me to show you everything. However, I can assure you that if you ever visit Bristol there will be plenty of places to visit and lots of history to soak up.
Above is St Mary Redcliffe and Below Bristol Cathedral.

The harbour is the home of SS Great Britain and a replica of The Matthew

Close to where I live is Filton Airport I took this picture as Embee sped pass yesterday! You can just see in the distance on the left (with a magnifying glass) a Concorde in her last resting place.


Doing this post has made me realise that one does not always appreciate the beauty of one's surroundings.
I'm not actually expecting anyone to read this post but I'm glad to have participated and you never know someone might just stumble upon it!

Fun Mon-89(part of this topic was about where you live)


Archives:
2007: Embee's New Toy
2007: Lentil Soup

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 16/2/09 18:50, Blogger Pamela said...

just lights another fire under me to travel

I want to come to Bristol. Sigh.

 
At 16/2/09 19:24, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm envious of the wonderful old buildings of the UK and Europe. We are such a young country we don't have anything to compare.

 
At 16/2/09 20:05, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela I would love to entertain you.

Barbara we do have plenty of old building and some great architecture but we are fast becoming an overcrowded island where they are building on far too much of the green land.

 
At 17/2/09 08:53, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear Chrisb. Bristol really does look beautiful, and it's also close to other lovely places like Bath, isn't it?

 
At 18/2/09 13:04, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Catching up ... looks very interesting. We had a Great Western Railway in Canada too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home