Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Minestrone Soup

On my recent Dublin trip, Beccy made a lovely Minestrone Soup. I decided to give it a try myself and this is the result.


Recipe:

Parsnip*
2-3 pints stock
2-3 sticks celery(sliced)*
2 medium carrots(diced)*
1 large onion (sliced)*
2-3 tablespoons oil
2 leeks sliced
2 Rashers fat bacon (cut into small pieces) or lardons* (I used lardons)
1-2 cloves garlic (crushed)*
1/4 of small cabbage (shredded)
1 small can tomatoes OR 2 rounded dessert spoonfuls Tomato Puree(I used the puree)
Bouquet garni
Salt & Pepper

Parmesan Cheese (grated garnish)

Method:

Fry veg and bacon (indicated by*) gently for 5 mins.

Pour stock into the pan and bring to the boil

Add leeks, tomato puree, seasoning, and Bouquet garni and simmer 30 mins.

Add shredded cabbage (I also added some broken up wholemeal spaghetti)

Continue cooking gently tell all veg is cooked and you have a good flavour.

Top with grated Parmesan before serving.

Serve with crusty bread to make a filling tasty meal.

I actually fried the lardons separately because I forgot to add them to the veg when I was frying. This meant I was able to drain off the fat; not sure if this altered the flavour of the soup! It is a very substantial soup and I think it is going to be one I make regularly from now on. I wonder if Embee will like it!


Archives:
2008: Beach Bums

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At 17/2/09 08:41, Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear chrisb. Yum yum! Looks absolutely delicious. Are you going to eat it with a delicious crusty bread? Soup is one of my favourite meals and minestrone is one of my favourite soups!

 
At 17/2/09 09:44, Blogger ChrisB said...

LMM it's best with crusty bread but I tend to have a wholemeal pitta bread with mine when I'm being good.LOL

 
At 17/2/09 09:48, Blogger Beccy said...

I made that soup as well yesterday!

 
At 17/2/09 09:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

Dad is going to try it tonight, and I will get granny's verdict at lunch time. I followed the recipe but it seemed a lot of veg- it was nice with a bit of spag in it.

 
At 17/2/09 12:39, Blogger Ari_1965 said...

That looks good. I have no idea what lardons are, but I'll look them up.

Btw, I'm hosting Fun Monday on 2/23

 
At 17/2/09 18:37, Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I've just eaten and you've made me hungry again.

 
At 17/2/09 20:28, Blogger Unknown said...

YUM, BLOODY YUM!! DROOL!

 
At 17/2/09 20:38, Blogger Sam said...

dad doesn't like soup?

 
At 18/2/09 00:50, Blogger A Spot of T said...

Oh that looks delicious! I think I'll copy this out and try it one of these cold wintery days. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 
At 18/2/09 03:03, Blogger Pamela said...

I'll eat his bowl full if he doesn't

 
At 18/2/09 03:49, Blogger bitter bitch said...

Oh, EmBee will like this. You could add some lentils.

 
At 18/2/09 07:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EmBee enjoyed it very much. Love

 
At 20/2/09 07:46, Blogger Steffi said...

Your post makes me hungry,Chris!Sounds good and I would like to eat it!

 
At 24/2/09 04:44, Blogger Sam said...

You inspired me - I am making minstrone as we speak. It's not the same recipe since I am just adding what's in the house. Home canned tomatoes, ham and bacon, spring garlic, parsnip, carrot, onion, garlic and stock and pasta.Plus a parmigiano cheese end from the freezer for extra flavour. Oh - and savoy cabbage too - you'll be proud of me.

 
At 24/2/09 15:54, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam I can't believe something I cooked would inspire you it's usually the other way around! and yes I noted the cabbage but you won't taste it in the soup and that's the cheese I use now!

 
At 24/2/09 20:32, Blogger Sam said...

keep the ends of your cheeses and cook them in with the soup for extra flavour: cheese ends

 
At 24/2/09 20:43, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam I must remember that because I've been throwing them out. Is that for any soup or just minestrone ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home