Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's time to celebrate!


Today we celebrate Mothering Sunday here in the UK.

History

Most Sundays in the year churchgoers would worship at their nearest parish or "daughter church".

In olden times it was considered important for people to return to their home or "mother" church at least once a year. So each year in the middle of Lent, everyone would visit their "mother" church.

As the return to the "mother" church became an occasion for family reunions when children who were working away from home returned. (It was quite common in those days for children to leave home to work in service from ten years of age.)

The majority of historians think that it was this return to the "Mother" church which led to the tradition of children, particularly those working as domestic servants, or as apprentices, being given the day off to visit their mother and family.

This special day has now become a time when people give thanks to their mothers and offers an opportunity to express both love and thanks for the work that they do.

I thought I would show you the lovely gift that Beccy sent me. You might like to guess what it is?
Thank you Beccy xx
_________________________________

Another important event to celebrate today:

Remember this well another year has galloped by.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EMBEE
As a reward for me putting up with you all these years I'll let you take me out to lunch. As you can see, he's actually in the garden as I type this, taking a little rest from weeding the borders.

Whatever you happen to be doing today have a wonderful time.

Archives:
2008: What is Today + Mission Accomplished
2007: Happy Anniversary Embee

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 22/3/09 10:29, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Happy Anniversary and Happy Mother's Day :) Hugest congratulations!!!

 
At 22/3/09 11:23, Blogger Beccy said...

Oh I didn't realise it was your anniversary today!

 
At 22/3/09 11:48, Blogger Rayne said...

Okay, I give up...the gift is very pretty, but what is it?
Mothering Sunday sounds like a wonderful tradition. I can't believe they used to make children as young as 10 leave home and go off to work.

 
At 22/3/09 14:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know i know what it is...I think...You can hang your purse with it!! right?
Happy Mothering day and Happy Anniversry!!

 
At 22/3/09 15:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm Jettied beat me to it. I was going to say its one of those things you have your purse under your table at teh restaurant with!

 
At 22/3/09 17:06, Blogger kitten said...

Very interesting History! It is a day to celebrate!
I have no idea what your gift is. LOL!
Happy Mothering day and Happy Anniversry!!

 
At 22/3/09 17:41, Blogger Bethany said...

I knew but Jettie beat me to it! I have one very similar to yours and I use it all the time!

 
At 22/3/09 21:01, Blogger Sam said...

is it one of those things for hanging your handbag at the table in a restaurant?

 
At 22/3/09 21:20, Blogger ChrisB said...

Yes you are right it is for hanging a bag in a restaurant. I used it today and it meant my bag stayed clean-perfect.

 
At 22/3/09 21:22, Blogger willowtree said...

Happy Anniversary to Chris and EmBee! xoxo

 
At 23/3/09 02:07, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That historical church connection is very interesting.

 
At 23/3/09 12:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your anniversary and lunch were wonderful!

 
At 24/3/09 06:51, Blogger Steffi said...

Happy Anniversary and Happy MotherĀ“s Day!My best congrats to you and Embee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home