Saturday, March 14, 2009

Leek,Potato,Bacon Bake

I have been making a lot of comfort food this winter and when I saw a recipe for this bake I knew it was one that we would enjoy. It is a cross between creamy dauphinoise and pommes boulangères (potatoes cooked in stock). I used it as a supper dish but equally it would make a good side dish for chicken, or other meat.


This recipe comes from the BBC Good Food Magazine.
Recipe:
600ml/1 pint vegetable (or chicken stock)
6 Leeks (thinly sliced into rounds)
1 kilo/2lbs 4oz Potatoes (thin sliced)
3-4 rashers streaky bacon (I used back bacon and 6 rashers as it was a main meal)
25g/1 oz butter
salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tblsp double cream (optional- I used Crème fraîche)

Method:
1. Heat oven to 200c/fan 180c/gas6 (400f)

Put stock in large pan, bring stock to boil add leeks and potatoes.
Bring back to boil for 5 mins, drain well reserving stock in a jug

2. Meanwhile butter baking dish

Layer leeks and potatoes, higgledy-piggledy (season layers to suit tastes)
Scatter bacon over the top.
Pour over 200ml of reserved stock, then spread over the cream and cover with foil (can be made a day ahead and chilled).

3. Bake for 40 mins, uncovering halway through so that the bacon crisps (remember thin slices of potato or they will not cook evenly).
Serve with a salad and enjoy.

Just to make it clear; the light in my kitchen is not good for photos and the bacon was not overdone as it looks here.

Archives:
2008: Recuperating

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 14/3/09 11:54, Blogger willowtree said...

What's the green, is that the leeks? Looks delicious!

 
At 14/3/09 12:02, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Looks and smells scrummy ;)

 
At 14/3/09 12:10, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT yep that green is the leeks. I know a lot of people waste the green bits but not in this house.

Mal just what the doctor ordered comfort food (if you get my drift).

 
At 14/3/09 16:50, Blogger Pamela said...

I know this will be a dumb question - is the bacon already cooked?

 
At 14/3/09 16:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela no it cooks in the oven but you do need to take the foil off half way through to get it crispy.

 
At 14/3/09 17:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks gorgeous! I may have to try it to persuade Mr H that leeks are not evil and don't have to be caramelised to a crisp to be tolerated!

 
At 14/3/09 18:35, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Oh yummy, only I would have to make it without the bacon and then it would be so yummy.....

I LOVE the taste of leeks..

x

 
At 14/3/09 23:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH YUM! Thanks for the recipe. Yesterday my husband and I noticed our leeks were probably ready to be pulled from the garden. Now I can make something with them besides leek soup!!!!

 
At 16/3/09 20:33, Blogger Steffi said...

This looks very delicious!Yummy!

 
At 24/2/10 01:55, Blogger Sandy said...

Chris, I just made this tonight to go alongside a small pork roast and it was perfect! Thanks for a recipe that I will definitely make again.

 
At 6/12/13 16:53, Blogger Sandy said...

Chris, just thought I'd let you know that I was right. I did make it again! today and it was perfect with the very low temps we are currently having. Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home