Thursday, March 26, 2009

A ride into Bristol

All of my photos this last week seem to have been quickly shot out of the window of a travelling car so are not the best. We drove into Bristol on Sunday afternoon to find the venue for the concert that my grandson is coming for next month and I did a little snapping on the way.
Driving into Bristol along the Portway you would see the River Avon on one side and a steep rock face on the other (I know some of you will recall seeing a very similar picture in the past).
this area is very popular with the rock climbing enthusiasts. You probably won't be able to see them in the first picture but can pick them out below in the cropped shot.
The ship below is the SS Great Britain this famous ship is back in the dry dock where she was originally built. You can just get a glimpse of the replica of the Matthew which is also in Bristol's Floating Harbour.
Below we were travelling up Park Street and the building at the top is the Wills Memorial Building part of Bristol University. Another impressive building at the top of Park Street is Bristol Museum A little further on you pass the Victoria Rooms which now houses the university's music department. This is where the dance school, that my girls attended, used to put on a display every other year. It was lot of hard work (we had to make the costumes) but good fun.
The show 'Crazy for You' is running this week. I remember seeing that show in London with Sam, I wonder if she will remember it!

This is only a glimpse of some of the places of interest that you can find in Bristol.
Oh and I did take a picture of the O2 Academy (the real purpose of this ride into town) but the road was closed so it was impossible to get close. Dillon will be seeing a band called Deathstars perform. I've never heard of them and if I've found the right link I'm not sure they would be my cup of tea!

Archives:
2008: Witty Wednesady-42
2007: Road to Morocco or Tetouan via Ceuta to be precise

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 26/3/09 12:45, Blogger karisma said...

Your photo's look great. I took some from a moving car today too! Precariously balanced in the side of a very thing dirt road up a mountain! Yikes! It was rather dusty! LOL so my pictures weren't so great!

 
At 26/3/09 13:04, Blogger FH said...

I do that too, ie taking photos as we pass by, most of the time driving on the highway! Once I clicked a water tank in South Carolina shaped a like giant Peach with a huge crack (intact, not broken)underneath, which looks like bum!:D

Great pics, love the Bristol U photo.

 
At 26/3/09 14:31, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Thanks for taking me on a tour of your great cities :)

 
At 26/3/09 14:43, Blogger Sam said...

Is the O2 Academy by the ice rink? If yes - I think that is where I went to see my second ever concert = Thomas Dolby. My first ever concert was The Stranglers, Colston Hall, front row.

 
At 27/3/09 02:14, Blogger Pamela said...

I take photos the same way (just am 2 lazy to stop and focus...me or the camera)

Oh how I want to come ride along with you and see these things. (we would stop the car and take pictures this time)

 
At 27/3/09 08:58, Blogger Beccy said...

I have very fond memories of dancing in the Victoria Rooms.

 
At 27/3/09 12:53, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam it is by the ice rink.

Pamela I would love to show you around.

Beccy your picture shows one of the costume you wore in your first display.

 
At 29/3/09 10:55, Blogger Barbara said...

Such lovley old buildings.

 
At 29/3/09 17:32, Blogger ChrisB said...

Barbara I sometimes think we don't always appreciate the things that are on our doorstep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home