Saturday, March 28, 2009

Topsy is home from the vets.

Some of you may remember this post when I showed you pictures of the tortoises just after they had come out of hibernation. At that time I was worried about Topsy's mouth infection. I tried to get her mouth clean and get her eating but it became evident that although she wanted to eat her mouth hurt so Embee took her into the vet on Tuesday last and she had a dose of antibiotics, some heat treatment and they allowed her home yesterday. Although her mouth is not completely healed we could not afford to run up a huge vet bill this year, just those few days set us back over £80, so I'm going to continue with twice daily warm baths, cleaning out her mouth and force feeding by hand.

Imagine my delight just now when I got her to eat about 7 peas (may not seem much but it is enough to keep her going). I put her back in the pen with the other two, and gave them some fresh lettuce, dandelions and apple and Topsy immediately started eating some of the lettuce so that is really good.
The trouble is the other two wouldn't leave her alone to feed in peace.
Fingers crossed she will keep improving from now on.


Archives:
2008: Rhubarb
2007: My Dilemma

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 28/3/09 12:56, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I remember. Good for Topsy.

 
At 28/3/09 13:28, Blogger karisma said...

Awww how sweet! Now Zak would love a turtle for a pet. He is always trying to bring more animals home. Glad Topsy is on the mend.

 
At 28/3/09 13:28, Blogger karisma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 28/3/09 13:54, Blogger Beccy said...

Good for Topsy!

 
At 28/3/09 14:40, Blogger Attie said...

OOHH I had been wondering about her...so how much $ is that american way?
And do you know what exactly the sores are? I do think she looks better and the others must of really missed her!! glad she is home!!

 
At 28/3/09 15:01, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karisma they probably don't 'do enough' to keep a child entertained but they are fairly easy (well under normal circumstances).

Jettie I would say around $118 dollars.

 
At 28/3/09 21:42, Blogger willowtree said...

I'm glad she's eating, now if you could just teach her to fetch a stick she'd be perfect!

 
At 28/3/09 22:58, Blogger Unknown said...

This is grand news - go Topsy go!

 
At 29/3/09 03:39, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

I hope she snaps out of it and heals quickly! - didn't she have the same problem last year?

 
At 29/3/09 03:43, Blogger kitten said...

Bless her heart! Hope she continues to get better!
Have a blessed a weekend!

 
At 29/3/09 07:05, Blogger Pamela said...

I always smile when I think of you having tortoise for pets.

Glad she's eating now!

 
At 29/3/09 17:30, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT :)

Karmyn sadly it seems to be a recurring problem in recent years.

 
At 30/3/09 19:13, Blogger Unknown said...

Poor thing, she has trouble each year, but I'm glad she's doing good now. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home