Friday, May 29, 2009

China # 6 Memories of an evening walk

In China many of the people do not cook at home as they often have small apartments or houses and these are shared with extended family, so there is little space for kitchens as we know them. In many areas, of the cities, you will see a lot of food being offered for sale on the street or in small shops.Not sure what the guy above had in his baskets. At the end of the evening you would see everything being washed over the drains in the street.
I think I mentioned before the number of bikes and electic motor bikes that can be seen parked on many of the roads.


It is amazing what you can carry on the back of a bike!

There were some we saw that were piled even higher than these, it's surprising they could keep everything from falling off. Come to think of it we did see one that collapsed in the middle of a busy road but I don't have a picture of that.

Archives:
2008: Stork came calling
2007: Anyone for Walkies

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 29/5/09 23:54, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

FIRST!

Did you try any of that street food? Some looked quite appetizing.

 
At 30/5/09 00:49, Blogger Sam said...

I agree with Karmyn. You better have been sampling the street food

 
At 30/5/09 02:25, Blogger bichonpawz said...

I was wondering if you tried any of the food too?? And WOW they sure have alot of scooters and/or bikes there!! I am truly enjoying your pictures!

 
At 30/5/09 02:59, Anonymous MommyWizdom said...

I want to clear up the confusion.

MommyWizdom is hosting Fun Monday on June 1st!

There is currently no host for June 6th!

We skipped Fun Monday on May 25th for the American Holiday, Memorial Day.

Have a great weekend!

I hope you'll join us!

:-)

 
At 30/5/09 03:04, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems to me that I once heard something about it being a bit like that in your country during the industrial revolution -- about the food, I mean -- but I'm probably wrong or it wasn't as widespread.

 
At 30/5/09 07:12, Blogger ChrisB said...

Karmyn,bermudabluez and Sam sorry to disappoint you we didn't try the street food because of the risk of tummy upsets, but I agree some of it looked very tempting.

MW Thanks I am clear about you hosting next Mon

AC not sure I recall that about the industrial revolution but maybe I didn't listen too well during history lessons so you could be right LOL.

 
At 30/5/09 16:03, Blogger Sam said...

What a waste of a journey - to go all the way to China and not try the street food. You got a tummy upset anyway - eating in the 'safe' tourist places. At least if you had tried the street food you would have gotten a taste of the real China. Reminds me of Portugal when I nearly had to read you the riot act in order to persuade you to buy oranges from the street seller. And then what about those oranges? Best you ever tasted - huh??!

 
At 30/5/09 20:51, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Wow its like real proper china lol.... please say you ate monkey brains from a street vendor :)

x

 
At 30/5/09 23:15, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam the oranges were fine they were in their skins. Even the guide told us not to eat the food. Oh and she also had an upset stomach for a couple of days!

Marmie I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I steered clear and as Sam says I still got an upset tummy-won't revolt you with the details LOL.

 
At 31/5/09 17:31, Blogger Sam said...

Of course the oranges were fine - but I had to drag you to buy them kicking and screaming.

Of course the guides tell you not to eat the food - they don't want to be sued.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are going to get food poisonong anyway (and it seems everyone does), you may as well try the street food.

 
At 2/6/09 19:51, Blogger Steffi said...

Just I thought you tried street food...but now I am glad that you didn´t it!I think that´s to much risk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home