Monday, June 15, 2009

Fun Monday # 119 What happened on my birthday!



Now Lil Mouse has come up with an interesting topic for this week...she says:

Obviously, knowing all of you bloggers out there, you broke the mold the day you were born, but what else happened? Did anything funny, serious, or sad occur on the same day in history that you were born, a birth, death or a sports record set? I suggest this site (not the American one, if you check out this one and then check out the American one, you’ll know why, it’s not very blogger friendly). List one or two, or if you find nothing of interest, check out another date (your mom’s birthday, your anniversary, until you find something you like).

I was really looking forward to discovering all the events that happened on the actual day I was born (Jan 25 ****). However, it clearly wasn't a memorable day as nothing happened, it was during the war so no sports events, no one famous died and the only birth I found was Anita Pallenberg who was born in Rome.

Does any one remember her? She was often in the media during the 60's and apart from being a model and actress (she was in Barbarella) her real claim to fame is that she got up close and very very friendly with The Rolling Stones. She spent twelve years with Keith Richards I won't go into all the details, but she was very interested in the occult and became a drug addict. Rather sad really....


Now this is where I'm going to cheat a little because I remembered a couple of years ago I did a Meme based on this very topic so I'm going to re-use some of that post for some historical facts that happened on my birthday:

1. Three Events that occurred that day:
-1791- The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791 and splits the old province of Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada

-1881 - Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company. (where would us bloggers be if this hadn't happened)

-1919 - The League of Nations is founded. ( this was followed by the United Nations after 2nd world war)

2. Two important Birth days.
-1759 - Robert Burns, Scottish poet (d. 1796) (well I had to choose this one)

-1882 - Virginia Woolf, English writer (d. 1941) (probably most people have heard of this lady)

3. One Death.
-1981 - Adele Astaire, American dancer (b. 1897) (I loved Fred Astaire films [I was a frustrated dancer in those days]) and didn't realise his older sister was a dancer)
Quite a few things happened in this year:
# January 25 – Four former Labour cabinet ministers (Roy Jenkins, Shirley Williams, William Rodgers and David Owen) issue the Limehouse Declaration, leading to the formation of the Social Democratic Party.
# – Chiang Ching ('Madame Mao') is sentenced to death in the People's Republic of China.
# – Super Bowl XV: The Oakland Raiders defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-10 at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.

4. A Holiday or Observance.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)

-St. Dwynwen's Day - Welsh celebration of love Diwrnod Santes Dwynwen. (I enjoyed these legends)

So that's me done why don't you call in on Lil Mouse to see what others have found.

Archives:
2008: New Discovery
2007: Well I never!!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 15/6/09 15:35, Blogger Pamela said...

whatever else happened -- I'm just downright sap happy that you were born on that day!

(:

 
At 15/6/09 15:35, Blogger Sayre said...

Not much happened on my birthday either... So I made up a day for my parents - if they hadn't been busy having me.

Interesting about the model/actress. So many went that way back then, though.

 
At 15/6/09 15:45, Blogger ChrisB said...

Pamela :) us grandmas have to stick together XX

Sayre the swinging 60's has a lot to answer for!

 
At 15/6/09 15:56, Blogger Jill said...

thanks for playing as usual you come up with something fun!

 
At 15/6/09 16:41, Blogger Faye said...

First, congratulations on finishing the Race for Life, ChrisB. I read a report from Debs in Jersey about walking in a drenching rain--good for both of you. FM participants are having to get creative about their birthday happenings. Some of us were just born on an uneventful day. I have heard about the Burns Suppers. Have you ever attended one? As for me, my birth date has an English connection. Nov. 14 share with Prince Charles. When I lived on a former British island, St. Kitts, we got the day off from school for his--and my--birthday.

 
At 15/6/09 20:30, Anonymous Stephanie, Mama Dramatist said...

Keith Richards is a mummy now, right?

We have some dear friends who have a Robbie Burns party every year complete with pipes and a salute to the haggis!! From now on, My Dear, I'll salute you, as well!

 
At 16/6/09 10:49, Blogger ChrisB said...

Lil Mouse thank you I do my best.

Faye I've never been to an actual Burns Night but I have been to a dinner where they piped in the haggis.

Stephanie next year I'll remember to raise my glass to you as well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home