Friday, July 24, 2009

G Hotel Galway First Impressions

The drive from Dublin to Galway was uneventful and we had no trouble finding the G Hotel, but we were were not particularly impressed with the outside as it was part of a small shopping complex.
However once through the door it was everything you would expect from a top hotel. The staff were efficient and we were quickly checked in and shown around the facilities; below is the largest sitting room. The interior was designed by Philip Tracey
In this lovely sitting room you can enjoy a little peace and quiet.

Not quite sure about the silver balls hanging from the ceiling!
This is the view we had from our bedroom window. Although the main road ran outside the hotel, with the excellent glazing there was no noise. These beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, I would love to have one at home, I don't think I would ever want to get up.
Philip Tracey is famous for his hat designs and there are pictures in all the bedrooms.
Even the bedside lamps looked like a hat.As we were shown to our room we were given a welcoming cupcake. My one criticism would be that there was no kettle in the bedroom and it would have been lovely to have a cuppa without having to go down and order one. However there was a complimentary bottle of water in the fridge.



We had our cocktails in this rather dazzling room. Beccy had a Mojito and I had a 'Casanova' described as 'A sharp tasting cocktail designed for men who like seducing woman'! I chose it because it was champagne as well as raspberry puree and apple juice. Tell me do you think it looks like a drink a bloke would choose?
Below is one corner of the restaurant where we were about the enjoy breakfast when I took this photo. I won't go into detail but the all the food was excellent. While we were there we used the spa facilities, Beccy had a body wrap and head massage; and I had a body massage. Following this we relaxed with a fruit smoothie and we both agreed we enjoyed being pampered and we would like to stay there again.

I have my son-in-law to thank for this luxurious stay, he was away working in the north of the country, while we were enjoying ourselves, it doesn't seem fair somehow! I think Beccy is planning to go back with him in the not too distant future and I'm sure he would enjoy it as much as we did.


Archives:
2008: I should be so lucky
2007: Briam

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 25/7/09 17:49, Blogger Unknown said...

I've stayed there!

 
At 25/7/09 17:58, Blogger ChrisB said...

john when did you stay there and what did you think of it?

 
At 25/7/09 18:57, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's what I call holidaying in style.

 
At 26/7/09 01:41, Blogger willowtree said...

I'm with you Chris. How can they have 5 stars if they don't even supply a kettle? Star ratings are about customer comfort and satisfaction too, not just ostentation.

 
At 26/7/09 12:32, Blogger Beccy said...

No kettle was the only bad thing about our stay. The food was divine and the staff very courteous.

 
At 27/7/09 04:06, Blogger Amrita said...

Wow - really impressive place. Too grand. It reminds me of hotels in the Agatha Christie novels.

I recently read an essay about Westminster Abbey by 18th century writer Washington Irving and I am fascinated by this monument.He describes it really well.

I would like to see it, but its an impossible dream.

I was just wndering if anyone from Britain could send me a pictorial guide to the Westminster Abbey, I like to see the photos of the tombs and graves. Like a tourist guide.

If that is possible then I can send them my address.

 
At 27/7/09 05:57, Blogger Pamela said...

toooo cool. wow.

except for the kettle, of course.

 
At 27/7/09 08:29, Blogger ChrisB said...

AC it was only one night there but I would like to return.

WT I think they wanted guests to go and pay for tea and coffee.

Amrita I will see if I can find you a book on Westminster Abby.

 
At 27/7/09 15:21, Blogger Sam said...

lovely

 
At 28/7/09 01:20, Anonymous wendishness said...

I'd be fuming over the kettle!! But it looks like a really nice hotel. Beccy looks great in the photo too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home