Thursday, July 30, 2009

How can this happen!!!!

How can a hospital make such a mistake!!!! Let me explain......

Yesterday my mother was due to have laser treatment to one of her eyes, well that was what we thought when the appointment arrived in the post and it was certainly what the consultant told us when we saw him back in May.

You might remember me writing at the time that, having completed an assessment they were quite certain that my mother should NOT have her cataracts removed as she would be unable to lie still without moving for up to 45mins.

We got a taxi to the hospital and arrived in plenty of time for our 12md appointment. I was a bit surprised that we were sent up to the day theatre and not the out patient clinic but we were expected so I didn't worry. I did feel irritated when they told me that I couldn't stay with my mother as they needed to prepare her and when I asked how long 'the procedure' would take I was told the Doctors won't be starting until 1:30pm and they might be late so if you want to go away and come back we can ring you as it might be 3 or 4 hours. I thought this was ridiculous for laser treatment that is supposed to be a very quick procedure. It was pouring with rain I had no intentions of going all the way home and I didn't want to traipse around the shops so I said I was staying and I was told I could wait in the day room. I had a paper, book, and some crosswords and a bottle of water but no food!

I just get settled in the day room when a nurse came to the door and in a very loud voice asked 'is there someone here with Mrs C'. She went on to ask me if I have my mother's teeth as she couldn't find them and she wanted me to go and sort it out. My mother had her teeth when I left her and for goodness sake what is wrong with the nurses searching!. Anyway I went back to the room my mother was sharing, with another lady, and found them in the bottom her bag. I saw that she has a cup of tea so that was good. I returned to the day room and settled down and gradually everyone else left and I was alone.
After about an hour a very handsome young doctor came in and asked me to come and see my mother. As soon as I got into the room my mother blurted out 'they were going to take my cataracts out, they put eye drops in and got me all ready'. I couldn't believe my ears.
The doctor was very apologetic and said he had checked the notes and it was an administrative error that it was the fault of the hospital that they had got the wrong procedure booked. He went on to say that they couldn't do the laser treatment today and it would mean another appointment. I said I wasn't very happy as it had cost us over £20 for taxi fares. The Doc couldn't tell me when the next appointment would be except sometime in September.
I think we were both a bit shocked really as this could so easily have ended in disaster for my mother if the mistake hadn't been noticed in time. Now I've had time to think about it I'm actually wondering if I should make a formal complaint. I think the least they could do is refund the taxi money but I bet they won't. For my mother, who had geared herself up for this, it's back to waiting another few weeks.



Archives:
2007: Fun Monday-27

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

At 30/7/09 22:38, Anonymous Karmyn R said...

What a scare! I'm glad your mother had her wits about her and was able to stop them before they started!!! I would file a complaint. This might have been a simple mistake on their part - but could have ended up disastrous.

 
At 30/7/09 22:45, Blogger Beccy said...

Get writing that letter mum.

 
At 30/7/09 23:11, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Crazy, but at least it didn't happen in the end.

 
At 31/7/09 00:35, Blogger Jill said...

the dr should have given u the $ from his own wallet--but that is 'by the by', I would be worried about the mistake and refuse to leave the next time...

 
At 31/7/09 00:37, Blogger karisma said...

My goodness! Lucky they realised before they did it. Down here they ask you like 10 times who you are and why you are here! Now I understand why!

Human error seems to be becoming more and more of an excuse these days. Very very scary!

 
At 31/7/09 03:19, Blogger Amrita said...

Oh dear that is a huge disappointment and irritating too. You wasted your time and money.

They better it right this time

 
At 31/7/09 03:24, Blogger Faye said...

Incredible. How do people manage who don't have a family member or friend to go to these doctor appointments with them. It's like you need one person to be treated and another to listen. Very frustrating for you, I'm sure. Back in the holding pattern.

 
At 31/7/09 05:23, Anonymous Beckie said...

Yes, I agree with Beccy! I think a letter of complaint is in order.

 
At 31/7/09 10:43, Anonymous Grannymar said...

Write the letter, but go to the top of the tree with it and copy it down the line.

Standards are slipping all across the board and unless we stand up to them,they will fall even further.

Ask whoever you write to (phone and get their full name) how they would feel if it was their mother or grandmother who was treated in that way. Ask for a refund of your expenses. Keep a copy of the letter.

 
At 31/7/09 10:58, Anonymous wendishness said...

Make the formal complaint and keep running with it, don't just write to the hospital admin, take it higher...just create as much stink as you can to ensure this doesn't happen again or to anyone else.

After a bad experience in the hospital here, I went to the news, I wrote to the hospital, I went to my local MP and filed a complaint with the State MP too.

 
At 31/7/09 17:21, Anonymous Rummuser said...

This is a horror story. I endorse Grannymar's suggested course of action.

 
At 31/7/09 17:41, Blogger Unknown said...

Complain like hell, Chris!

 
At 31/7/09 18:27, Blogger Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That's... that's AWFUL! :(

 
At 31/7/09 19:47, Blogger Sam said...

this story confuses me and leaves me with more questions rather than the answer. Glad everyone else understands what didn't happen, because I don't.

 
At 31/7/09 20:39, Blogger ChrisB said...

sam to simplify they were going to do the wrong operation on granny. But we stopped them in the nick of time. Now she has to wait to have the right thing done which is laser treatment.

 
At 31/7/09 20:41, Blogger ChrisB said...

Thanks for the helpful comments. I will indeed need to get writing to the hospital trust.

 
At 31/7/09 22:30, Blogger Sam said...

but what were they about to do?

 
At 1/8/09 08:47, Blogger ChrisB said...

Sam they were going to remove her cataracts instead of just giving her laser treatment.

 
At 2/8/09 06:45, Blogger willowtree said...

Make a formal complaint, it doesn't have to be emotive, just list the facts.

 
At 2/8/09 06:46, Blogger willowtree said...

PS. Why was removing her cataracts such a bid no-no, I thought that would be a good thing.

 
At 2/8/09 10:02, Blogger ChrisB said...

WT the reason they wouldn't do it was because she has a lung problem causing coughing and so they worried that she could not stay still long enough to actually have the cataracts removed. They also didn't want to give her an anaesthetic because of her lungs.So the laser treatment was all they could offer.

 
At 4/8/09 04:40, Blogger Pamela said...

nothing surprises me anymore.
everyone needs a personal advocate!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home