Monday, August 24, 2009

Fun Monday # 130 Back to school!


Our hostess this week is Faye who asks:

--Do you still think of yourself as a student? A lifelong learner?

--If so, what would you like to learn? Something job related to improve your work performance? Technology skills to keep up with the modern times? Personal financial management skills? Stress management strategies? Playing bridge? Belly dancing? Writing? Better blogging? Speaking another language? Car maintenance? DIY home improvements? You get the idea--the list of learning options for adults is endless.

--Are you currently taking a class or online study? What is this experience like? What are you learning?

--If not actually in a class, how do you learn something new? Tutorials on computer or TV? How to books? One on one with an instructor or coach? Practice on your own?


I could easily answer this all these questions one word...NO..... but in some ways that wouldn't be strictly true. Although, I'm not actually doing any formal learning, in the past three years I have done a lot of self learning.

Before I retired using the computer was mainly work related and sending a few emails. That all changed and it became my main hobby, well I think you all know that!

I have become much more interested in trying to take better photographs and I'm still learning more about photoshop elements for macs. I do my own research and try to follow it through, I won't pretend I find it easy as I don't always understand computer lingo. I did put my name down to attend a photography/computer course but the guy who was intending to run it hasn't organised anything yet. Maybe not enough people were interested.

I did a lot of research and reading about setting up and keeping my 'worm works' and this is ongoing as there is a bit more involved than I had originally imagined.

Also, I have been saying that I'm going to learn to paint (I have plenty of materials) maybe that needs to be my next project, I keep finding excuses reasons not to get started!!

I know when I come and read all the learning everyone else is doing, it will put me to shame. I also realise that one needs to keep the old grey matter stimulated so maybe your posts will get me motivated to try something new.

Archives:
2008: Thought for today
2007: What does your eye see

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 24/8/09 11:11, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Oh yes....learning more on the computer. Good self-taught life experience. And....learning the lingo. That's me too....except I use the word 'thingie' a lot!!!

Great post.
Mine's now published and ready for viewing if you'd like to stop by. Have a great day.

 
At 24/8/09 12:56, Anonymous Swampy said...

We probably all learn a lot more than we realize just because of our blogging.
NOW, get those paints organized this week. I dan't wait to see your first work of art.

 
At 24/8/09 12:58, Anonymous Swampy said...

Today I will try to learn how to spell c-a-n-'-t.

 
At 24/8/09 13:51, Blogger Beccy said...

I think you've learnt loads about your computer. You definitely know more than me.

I would love to see you painting as I know how long you planned to do so.

 
At 24/8/09 15:19, Anonymous Janis said...

I am on the same page as you...But when you step back and take a look, you have and still are learning something new. Just blogging is a learning experience. My post has a link to a online photo class taught by my niece, check it out. Take that first step and join a beginners painting class, what do you have to lose. Thanks for sharing Ms Cellani and Happy FM..BTW, I am hosting next week and will have the challenge up by wed or thursday. Hope you can play.

 
At 24/8/09 17:36, Blogger Sayre said...

Not all learning is book-learning! If you're alert and aware of the things that change or need changing and adapt to the new situation, you've learned something!

As my mom says, "there's book smart and there's walking-around smart." Both are valuable!!! And I have a feeling you've got some of both - you just don't think about the book side much.

 
At 24/8/09 18:46, Anonymous MommyWizdom said...

Learning photography is a big deal - I struggle with taking pictures all the time. Blogging is definitely a learning experience in itself.

Great post. Have a great week!

MommyWizdom

 
At 24/8/09 19:55, Blogger Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I'd love to paint, but I need to learn more about writing before I dare focus on anything else. My mother, on the other hand, paints, writes, travels constantly and never seems to have a problem fitting things in. She works too.

 
At 24/8/09 21:14, Blogger Pamela said...

I'm going back to school .... just found out this afternoon I'm going to be hired part time at the school district as a tutor.

I didn't want to blog about it -- afraid if I did I would not get the job -- and end up being a liar.

I'm trying to learn a new and better photo editing program. I fall asleep during the tutorials. sigh.

 
At 24/8/09 21:43, Blogger Faye said...

Thanks goodness for computers! Those of us who are retired lead a more interesting life as a result of the internet. Sometimes I feel like I have two different existences--my real one on Summit Court and then the blogosphere. Both are so important. I admire your being able to sort things out on your own. I do much better if I have the Geek Squad's help. Once through and then try to be self-supporting.

And that was a good call to not spend holiday time in front of the computer. Your children can coach you online, I'm sure.

 
At 24/8/09 23:32, Anonymous grace said...

I have always wanted to take a photography class too!

 
At 26/8/09 01:39, Blogger Living Life said...

I am with you... I am forever learning something new on the computer. I am not that tech savvy. I think we are all life learners when it comes to blogging.

I was grasping at straws with the quilting. I would like to learn, but will I??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home